Tire recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the POS OEM Goodyear tires on my Grand Cherokee. The Goodyear tires only have 24k miles on them. They were rotated every 5k and were nitrogen filled by the stealership. Now, looking for a solid all season tire with good wet traction and long tread life. My Jeep is AWD. Tire size is P245 70 R17.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Looking to replace the POS OEM Goodyear tires on my Grand Cherokee. The Goodyear tires only have 24k miles on them. They were rotated every 5k and were nitrogen filled by the stealership. Now, looking for a solid all season tire with good wet traction and long tread life. My Jeep is AWD. Tire size is P245 70 R17.

Michelin Premier LTX.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Michelin Premier LTX.

That's what I'm planning to put on wife's Q5 when the OEM Contis wear out.

Love the Michelin LTX M/S2 on my Suburban. They're a bit on the pricey side but very good tires. I have about 20 months and 20k miles on them and they are nice and quiet, are wearing evenly, and have performed well in the recent summer monsoon rains we have gotten. I expect to get the full 70,000 miles out of them.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Toyo AT II's are worth a look for your Jeep.

No more Michelins for me. Too much sidewall cracking. They seem to age fast... And in the last ten years, I've had two separate on two different vehicles
frown.gif

Toyo great tires
smile.gif

Michelin Premier LTX.

They don't come in 245/70R17. He could go with a 245/65R17 to keep the same tread width but 3.6% smaller circumference or 265/65R17 to go 1 inch wider tread but nearly the same circumference (if it will work with the wheel width).

An All-Season tire for an SUV? I'd go with the Toyo Open Country H/T. I had set on a 4wd SUV, they did great in rain, snow, were very quiet, and resisted uneven wear better than any A/T tire I've had. I'm now running the Toyo Open Country A/T II on the same SUV. They are louder than the Toyo H/T's, and the only advantage they might have is in deep snow and mud, which was the trade-off I was willing to make for an SUV that really only gets driven in snow, and for Fourwheeling trips.

If I were still using the SUV for daily driving duty, I'd have chosen the Toyo Open Country H/T again for sure.

LTX M/S2.....the name of which is being phased out to become Defender.

Had them on my 04 GC, fantastic compared to the OEM Goodyears.

Last edited:
If only you were shopping last week! Because you just missed the labor day sales.

That said, there are some good affordable choices for you:
Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
General Grabber HTS (or the newer HTS60)
Cooper Discoverer HTP

The Yokohama Geolandar HT G056 has a 70k warranty, the longest for a tire in your size.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If only you were shopping last week! Because you just missed the labor day sales.

Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
Cooper Discoverer HTP

The Yokohama Geolandar HT G056 has a 70k warranty, the longest for a tire in your size.

Looks like the latest list of tyres that won't stop you well in the wet!

Top of the range Michellin tyres have a good reputation for low wear figures and good stopping distance figures, although Goodyear vector all seasons are a tough act to beat if you want minimum stopping figures.
Better still switch to using winter and summer tyres IF you live in an area that gets cold in winter. Then it's a case of using top of the range Conti's or Dunlops.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
Cooper Discoverer HTP

Top of the range Michellin tyres have a good reputation for low wear figures and good stopping distance figures, although Goodyear vector all seasons are a tough act to beat if you want minimum stopping figures.
Better still switch to using winter and summer tyres IF you live in an area that gets cold in winter. Then it's a case of using top of the range Conti's or Dunlops.

You do realise that many tyres from so called "inferior" manufacturers outperform Continentals and Dunlops.

When ever I have had Continentals they have worn prematurely and the replacements have been better. Specifically on our old Clio Dci. It could knock out a set of Conti Contacts in less than 12k miles, on the inside and outside edge.

Hankooks lasted well without the uneven wear, Dunlops also wore quickly on the inside and outside edges. The best tyre as far as wear and performance goes were the Kumho KinergyEco tyres.

And the car had regular alignments, though the mk3 Clio Dci is known for heavy front tyre wear.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Michelin Premier LTX.

That's what I'm planning to put on wife's Q5 when the OEM Contis wear out.

Yeah I am getting those too once I wear out Dualer H/L 400 RFT POS.
255/50 R19 is $231 in DT. Not bad at all.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
Cooper Discoverer HTP

You do realise that many tyres from so called "inferior" manufacturers outperform Continentals and Dunlops.

When ever I have had Continentals they have worn prematurely and the replacements have been better. Specifically on our old Clio Dci. It could knock out a set of Conti Contacts in less than 12k miles, on the inside and outside edge.

Hankooks lasted well without the uneven wear, Dunlops also wore quickly on the inside and outside edges. The best tyre as far as wear and performance goes were the Kumho KinergyEco tyres.

And the car had regular alignments, though the mk3 Clio Dci is known for heavy front tyre wear.

Very few tyres can beat the stopping distance figures of the major brands, just try reading the TUV Germany reports. Not much difference between Conti, Dunlop, Goodyear or Michellin. It's a classic case of you get what you pay for.
If your tyres have uneven wear patterns then adjust the tyre pressures or figure out what is kaput, as bad shocks, alignement or wheel balance can all chew out tyres fairly quickly. Driver style also makes a big difference due to braking and wheel spins etc.

I would steer well clear of any tyre that says it is an Eco, go green, energy or fuel saver. They use hard compounds and minimum contact area patterns. Bad news on a wet road or ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back