Does a coolant leak from the radiator mean........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a coolant leak from the radiator mean........that a coolant change (either full flush or drain/refill) isn't really necessary?

I'm talking about a slow leak from the radiator. If you observe the coolant recovery tank, you'll see that it goes from high to low in about 1 months time. Normally, this would 3 to 4 months. There is a leak. You can see dried coolant "cake" on the radiator too.

I can have the radiator replaced for a "proper" fix but I'm thinking that maybe I would prefer to do nothing. The condition has been for years. I've simply refilled the coolant recovery tank. Over the course of 9 months, I will run through a full gallon of coolant.

So, essentially I have replaced 1 gallon of coolant every 9 months. This means the coolant is constantly being replenished with new liquid! New rust inhibitors!

Is my logic sound?

No need to flush since you've been replenishing it. Since you've had the leak for years, you should replace the rad. It can open up and start gushing coolant at the most inopportune time. Don't add any of that stop leak nonsense.

Your logic for not flushing is sound.

In your position I'd be concerned about a sudden failure leaving me stranded.

A little leak is like being a little pregnant.

Install a new radiator. Forget the band aid Bars Leak type stuff.

Are you handy? Many replacements are easy. YMMV.

Your car is a .................

Last edited:
Well technically yeah, you are replenishing the coolant. And unlike engine oil, that gets dirty and has a filter, you won't be dealing with the same issues with coolant. I just can't believe you've been that lucky to have your radiator leak for that long and not get worse. I just changed mine last week when I noticed it was seeping a bit from the seems - that's where I find that all these plastic tank radiators let go nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back