Harley and the Davidsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else catch this Discovery three night mini series this week? I thought it was pretty interesting.

I found the description of the contract with Edsel Ford to be very interesting, keep changing the specs and bankrupt them to the point they sell to Ford for peanuts. Thankfully they recognized the tactic and got out. How historically accurate the series was I have no idea but great to watch. Business sure was different back then. The battles with Indian and patent infringement were also interesting, it did not say how they managed to come back after paying everyone off on the patents and starting over. Their marketing during WW1 (training everyone to repair the cycles) was great, those returning home wanted a Harley.

Interesting yes, but rather sympathetic toward Harley Davidson.
They didn't get to the WWII crooked dealings with the Army. I would really have liked how they handled that part.
After WWII, Harley all but controlled the AMA and got and kept an advantage over the British imports of the 50's through the 70's.
Some could easily point out that they still have their thumb on the scale as far as dirt track racing goes.

Saw a back story on the making of the mini series. All the motorcycles in the show were made from scratch based on original blue prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back