Opinion wanted on wheel bearing- keep using or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rolled into my shop today... Not too sure- maybe he can squeeze a few more miles out of it. What do you guys think?

Yeah, may be good for at least 5 or 10 miles.

That never happened before.

It was fine a minute ago.

The Burb has 187K miles on it... Supposedly he didn't notice anything abnormal until the last several of miles. It started out as a funny noise when braking, then started doing it more and more. By that time it was was starting to handle funny and make really nasty noises and smoking. He decided to have to flatbeded to my shop at that point.

This is what it looked like on the ground:

And here is what's left of the bearing (the lone ball bearing doesn't belong):

Dont believe for a second that it wasn't making noise miles ago.....

Originally Posted By: CKN
Dont believe for a second that it wasn't making noise miles ago.....

For the most part, I don't. I have seen a couple of really bad bearings that didn't make noise but something tells me this thing complained for a good long while.

Should you replace both rear wheels, since they've both done the same distance?
Especially with such an attentive customer?
Or, do you think curb strikes take out the right-rear more than the left-rear?

It's a feature that allows more articulation when off-road.

One failed on my brother's blazer about like this. It was kind of "me inflicted" though. We were replacing his right upper and lower control arms and I had to take the bearing out, but couldn't get it back in all the way because either a bolt or the threads on the bearing was messed up and it was Sunday night. 2 were completely in while the 3rd was mostly in. At the time, he only drove maybe 100 miles per week so I wasn't too worried.

He called me Thursday saying the ABS light was on. I asked him if it handled differently or made any noise and he said no. Friday on his way home, the bearing gave out and he could only drive 10 MPH. It wasn't this bad though. Didn't have a crooked stance and didn't come apart after removal.

It is good to know they are still somewhat drive-able when in this condition though.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Should you replace both rear wheels, since they've both done the same distance?
Especially with such an attentive customer?
Or, do you think curb strikes take out the right-rear more than the left-rear?
bearings are weird.i replaced the dr front on the wife's Tahoe 40k ago.all the others are still going. I vote to do one and run it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back