Going to build an adaptive rear seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear bushing on my old st10 is worn. I replaced the seal and it just doesn't have the compliance to adapt to the shaft wobbling in the bore.

I was thinking about using a super thick bead of rtv to glue a second seal over the first. The bead has to be thick enough to allow the seal freedom of motion to stay centered on the yoke.

We'll see if this works.

I see some Ford and Mopar tranny seals that look to be a double seal with the second extending out a bit allowing the flexibility I'm seeking.

I wonder if a seal of this type will cross to my Borg Warner super t 10 transmission?
d5az7052a.jpg

I know. I know. I need to pull the trans and replace the bushing. Doing it the right way is no fun though.

Last edited:
I believe you can rent a tool that removes and replaces the rear tail shaft bushing. I borrowed one from local Chevy dealer and replaced the bushing in my 1987 Monte SS 200r trans. Used one on a Mopar 4-speed trans too.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I believe you can rent a tool that removes and replaces the rear tail shaft bushing. I borrowed one from local Chevy dealer and replaced the bushing in my 1987 Monte SS 200r trans. Used one on a Mopar 4-speed trans too.

A universal one is $150.
ATC-T-0160-A-2.jpg
I'll also get a quote from the trans shop.

In the meantime no harm in experimenting

Last edited:
RTV will not work. Use the tool above. I've used one before it works great. You can sell it on ebay for what you paid for it when you're done. That's what I did.

Another way is to unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the tail shaft housing on.then carefully cut a groove in the bushing so it's weak and push it out.press the new one in with a big socket and hammer

This is a Super T-10?, They used a way larger 32 Spline TH400 Yoke, Bushing & Seal, I don't know of a On Vehicle Service Tool for such a large Bushing (1.886" Seal Diameter). The GM service tool was designed too service TH200's originally (1.503" Seal Diameter) Same as Powerglide, TH200, TH250, TH350/C, TH375, TH375B, 200-4R, 700R4, 4L60E, M20/M21 & 3 Speed Muncie, Early T-10....And a bunch more.

When a Super T-10 is mentioned.....A C3 Corvette with Lake Pipes blasting Def Leopard & the guy driving has a Mullet pops into my head.....It was funny in my head.....

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
This is a Super T-10?, They used a way larger 32 Spline TH400 Yoke, Bushing & Seal, I don't know of a On Vehicle Service Tool for such a large Bushing (1.886" Seal Diameter). The GM service tool was designed too service TH200's originally (1.503" Seal Diameter) Same as Powerglide, TH200, TH250, TH350/C, TH375, TH375B, 200-4R, 700R4, 4L60E, M20/M21 & 3 Speed Muncie, Early T-10....And a bunch more.

When a Super T-10 is mentioned.....A C3 Corvette with Lake Pipes blasting Def Leopard & the guy driving has a Mullet pops into my head.....It was funny in my head.....

That's me. Long hair in front and back whipping right into my eyeballs in the wind.

You're saying that universal tool I show above won't work?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

That's me. Long hair in front and back whipping right into my eyeballs in the wind.

You're saying that universal tool I show above won't work?

LOL......

Do you have a link to the tool? I have the Snap-On version & will not work on a TH400 "size" Bushing.

Factory Super T-10's have the TH400 Sized Bushing, Aftermarket Super T-10's (That you could buy from Speed Shops long ago) had the smaller Bushing. Can you measure the OD of the Yoke?

There are two versions of the 'universal' tool. Combined they cover everything.

I'm just a shade tree hack. Most times, I can pull out a lip type seal by carefully screwing in a coarse sheet rock screw Pull on the screw It worked on the output of the Getrag in old BMW. Use something round to drive in the new seal. Dealing with TH 400 parts is a good thing. They are stoutly built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back