How to remove sticker residue from paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to remove sticker residue from paint? My father-in-law peeled the Carmax letter stickers off of his new (to him) car but left all of the residue behind. I'm going to swing by to put his plates on for him and thought that I'd clean that off while I'm there too. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: dave123
Lighter fluid aka vm&p

Like the kind to refill a Zippo? I have that. Is it better than WD-40?

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: dave123
Lighter fluid aka vm&p

Like the kind to refill a Zippo? I have that. Is it better than WD-40?
Yes will work well

Automotive bug and tar remover.

That's what I used when removing my dealer stickers. I researched it online. That's what a lot of people recommend and it worked great for me.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Acetone AKA nail polish remover, does wonders.

Yeah, like damaging paint. It evaporates quickly, so more is applied. Then that disappears, so more............. All the other things mentioned are safer and less aggressive. Add to those Goo Gone, Goof off, etc. Non acetone nail polish remover is OK too. Application on a hot sunny surface will help.

Last edited:
GooGone. I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people who don't know how to clean stuff. Must be the new generation of kids they call the "millennials."

Never use acetone . always use the most mild first. I always use rubbing alcohol it takes longer but it wont damage the paint. If that wont work Zep orange cleaner will. Mac

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
GooGone. I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people who don't know how to clean stuff. Must be the new generation of kids they call the "millennials."
Googone will take pine sap off paint without hurting the finish.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Seeing how goo gone is more recent than gasoline, your comment is bass ackwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back