Adding cruise to a 2009 Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad recently purchased a BITOG-special 2009 Yaris. Used, power-nothing and stick-shift. He'd like to add some traffic-law compliance aids such as a Bluetooth radio for hands-free cell phone use, and for the purposes of this thread, cruise control. I've found some DIY's on Yarisworld, including the very DIY version. Those look like they're well within our comfort zone.

Any tips/tricks to this that will make it go more smoothly?

I was able to add a Kenwood Bluetooth head unit from Crutchfield to both my Mazda and my Grand Marquis for just under $100 each, shipped to my home. Each order came with everything needed to mount it in the respective cars.

I'm sure they have the same for a Yaris.

For me, the complete bundle with installation instructions is worth whatever slightly higher price I may have paid for the head unit compared to getting it piecemeal and hunting down directions, etc.

What's the matter with a good,set of earbuds for hands free phone use?

Even with a fancy and decent Bluetooth system in my accord, I still prefer my noise isolating earbuds.

As for cruise, does the Yaris need to be coded?

I don't mind getting an aftermarket head unit, but the one I had in my previous car didn't work with the steering wheel controls (wouldn't be a problem with the Yaris) and I know wiring can be an problem if you don't know what you're doing.
Biggest issue was, one of my friends turned it all the way up and damaged a speaker. If you can retrofit something like the listing I put above, you have all the functionality of the bluetooth (calling and music) without changing much and almost no risk blowing out speakers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Even with a fancy and decent Bluetooth system in my accord, I still prefer my noise isolating earbuds.

The police in this area of NY take a very dim view of driving around with earbuds in while driving. And my dad would forget them, knowing him. He's looking for a solution that is a reasonable copy of factory Bluetooth functionality.

No coding needed in the Yaris from what I've found. Toyota programmed the PCM for cruise, so it looks like we need to find switches, resistors, and fish missing wires through the firewall. From what I've been told, this car doesn't have the power package, which likely means it won't have the wires needed in the harness for cruise control. Shouldn't be that hard to fish a 20-gauge wire or two.

I actually bought a new 2009 Yaris back when I graduated to use as a commuter car. Same deal, no power anything but I wanted cruise for my 35 mile one way commute. I don't remember all the details but it was a quick 30 minute job. Order the necessary parts. Remove the steering wheel and cover. Plug in stalk and reassembly with the steering wheel straight. Easier than changing oil since you could just sit in the car and not make a mess. Good luck and happy cruising.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The police in this area of NY take a very dim view of driving around with earbuds in while driving. And my dad would forget them, knowing him. He's looking for a solution that is a reasonable copy of factory Bluetooth functionality.

No coding needed in the Yaris from what I've found. Toyota programmed the PCM for cruise, so it looks like we need to find switches, resistors, and fish missing wires through the firewall. From what I've been told, this car doesn't have the power package, which likely means it won't have the wires needed in the harness for cruise control. Shouldn't be that hard to fish a 20-gauge wire or two.

Driving with headphones, earbuds etc. is illegal in some states and very dangerous regardless.

I can't help but wonder if it's some of those folks who don't get over for emergency vehicles.

I installed cruise in my Yaris & it works great. The user CTScott on the Yarisworld forum is extremely knowledgable on the Yaris platform especially with electronics

Always had great luck with Crutchfield. They tell you how to do it,show you where it is and everything. Took longer to disconnect battery than anything else.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I actually bought a new 2009 Yaris back when I graduated to use as a commuter car. Same deal, no power anything but I wanted cruise for my 35 mile one way commute. I don't remember all the details but it was a quick 30 minute job. Order the necessary parts. Remove the steering wheel and cover. Plug in stalk and reassembly with the steering wheel straight. Easier than changing oil since you could just sit in the car and not make a mess. Good luck and happy cruising.

Good to hear! Was yours a liftback or a sedan?

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I installed cruise in my Yaris & it works great. The user CTScott on the Yarisworld forum is extremely knowledgable on the Yaris platform especially with electronics

I've been lurking over there on the cruise control threads. They've provided a wealth of information on how to do this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Good to hear! Was yours a liftback or a sedan?

3 door liftback. Cheapest version I could get since it was commuting only.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Cruise and a tiny engine with a stick shift doesn't accomplish much.

Really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would run between 60-80 mph on a two lane interstate and never had any issues with using cruise. If you drive far enough ahead you can plan everything out and never have to shift out of 5th.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Cruise and a tiny engine with a stick shift doesn't accomplish much.

Really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would run between 60-80 mph on a two lane interstate and never had any issues with using cruise. If you drive far enough ahead you can plan everything out and never have to shift out of 5th.

Never had an issue with my stick-shift car with a 1.4 liter engine. The way a Yaris is geared and given the use it'll see, no issues are anticipated. Besides, if the car is slowing down, shift down a gear or two and re-set.

I put an Rostra cruise control on my 2000 Echo 5-speed for my 100 mile work commute & it works great. Nice not having to hold the throttle down for the whole trip. My Yaris install was easy because it has an automatic trans. Only needed the switch, everything else is already installed from the factory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back