Fully synthetic or mineral for Volvo Penta KAD 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a boat with 2 x Volvo Penta KAD 300 3,7 ltr overcharged 6 cylinder diesel engines. The nominal power output is 285 hp an engine and is relatively high for an diesel engine designed in the early 2000s. It is a MY 2003 boat/engines, but with only 600 hrs on the counter.

The Volvo engine manual states that either mineral, semisynthetic or fully synthetic oil may be used as long as the oil meets VDS-2 (Volvo Drain Standard) and API CH-4. The oil change interval is stated to be 200 hrs or 1 year, whatever comes first, regardless of oil type. The previous owner have used mineral oil all the way.

I have since the mid -90s sworn to full synthetic Mobil 1 oil for my cars (VW and Audi TDIs) and never had any issues with lubrication. The cars are used around the year and are cold started in down to -20 deg C. The boat will moved onshore each autumn and never experience a start in sub-zero conditions.

The boat will most probably be used less than 100 hrs a year. So the question is: Will I have any joy of swapping to fully synthetic motoroil here? Things to consider:

-The oil will be replaced yearly with less than 100 hrs on the counter.
-The synthetic oil costs about twice as much as the mineral oil.
-Engines will never be started in sub-zero temperatures.
-Will the use of a synthetic oil theoretically extend engine life and thereby compensate for increased spendings on oil?

Thanks & best regards from Norway :)

Last edited:
Hi.

I noticed the Delvacs. Is the one you points at synthetic?

Last edited:
Thanks.

My gut feeling tells me that given the conditions I listed above a synthetic and expensive oil is not necessary here, mostly weighted on the few annual running hours. Each engine takes about 12 ltrs, so there is more than a dime to save. On the other side I am convinced that lube oils with synthetic bases are better, so I am in doubt. I really would appreciate others qualified views.

I'd recommend you an oil with ACEA E7 specs.

If Mobil Delvac oils are not available, or are crazy expensive (like here), you can maybe get the Shell Rimula line, like the R6M, or maybe a 5W30/10W30 version?

If not, maybe you can have access to Total Rubia oils (Rubia TIR 9200FE, Rubia TIR 8600FE for example), or some Motul (Tekma Optima 5W30).

I used to put Shell Rimula R6M in my diesel, was cheap and efficient for my use, but I believe the Total oils are amongst the cheapest.

I'll offer my two cents.
OTOH, boat engines are a special case in that they're usually run at fairly high power when they're run.
OTOH, if these engines seem to have worn well and not accumulated excessive deposits using conventional oils, then double bucks for 24 liters of oil may not be indicated.
I would check out some boating forums where you're sure to find some users of this engine who've shared their experience with it.
Unless there's some compelling case made for using syn oil in these engines, you might as well take advantage of the much less costly conventional oil.
You aren't going to put that many hours on these engines each year after all.
Incidentally, anything with twin Pentas must be a pretty nice and pretty fast craft.
Enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: mmosberg
I really would appreciate others qualified views.

I would, and have, followed Doug's advice without reservation in the past. Here is a link on the Volvo specs and Delvac 1 variants. It's a UK sheet, which is a compromise, because it's still in Europe for you, and in English for me.
wink.gif

I can't speak for your locale, but here, Delvac 1 is extremely cost effective.

I doubt you would see any difference in the engine life. If there were benefits with syn oil all the operators of expensive engines would be using syn oils. Seems you know about below freezing starts!

Thanks to you to CT8.

I found a Exxon Mobil reseller which had an up to date online price list:

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is $ 10,03 pr liter (before any discount)
Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 is $ 5,63 pr liter (before any discount)

Another argument for staying with mineral oil I picked up on a boatforum is that they claim that mineral oils sticks better to surfaces and gives a better corrossion protection through 4-5 months of winter lay-up. I think I will stay on mineral and go for the Delvac MX 15W-40.

Wow, I can buy D1 here for $22.99/gal and Delvac 1300 15W-40 for around twelve bucks.
To add insult to injury, we can get a five buck a gallon rebate on the 15W-40 and a twelve buck a gallon rebate on D1.
With store discounts and the MIR, I bought two gallons of D1 5W-40 for $17.00 the pair!
Those of you in Europe are truly screwed on fuel and motor oil prices.
Were I you, I'd make the same choice and stay with the 15W-40.
I'd doubt that D1 is nearly 2X as good in use and it's not as though you'll be concerned about cold starts.

Yeah, motoring is expensive on this side of the pond. I can however easily get some 40% discount on the MX oil. At leasthe it helps a bit.

Any views from you experts about that mineral based oils sticks better and thereby is an better alternative for the 4-5 months lay up?

Thanks again for sharing knowledge.

Last edited:
Gr1/2 do tend to stick better than PAO/Gr4 base oils. Gr5 (esters) are supposed to cling on metal too.
Don't know where Gr3 (many so-called "synthetic" in Europe, not counting Germany) can be placed here.

4/5 months storage are usually not a big deal on a diesel engine, and I doubt oil will really make a difference regarding storage. If you want extra protection, you can use some fogging oil in the intake, before storage ; also be sure to store the engines with relatively fresh oil.

I can only guess but Mobil Delvac MX is probably a gr2/gr3 blend. Good oil, glad you can get it cheaper than me!

Mobil oils are very expensive in Europe. Simply, there are better solutions. I don't know what specific oil requirement your marine Volvo Penta needs, but just follow that. Any name brand
will do good.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Gr1/2 do tend to stick better than PAO/Gr4 base oils. Gr5 (esters) are supposed to cling on metal too.

In addition to Group IV, there are esters in Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back