Head Gasket ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Avalanche 161,000 5.3 liter

I began losing coolant as presented to me by the Low coolant notification in the message center. I can smell coolant around the radiator area but see no leaks or any ground spots of coolant .. The amount is random. I lost 1/2 a gallon in 100 miles one day and then maybe 1/2 gallon in 500 miles another time . I see bubbles in the recovery tank at cold start up so I know i got air in the system and at this time I havent checked for hydrocarbon gas in the tank. No oil milkshakes, poor idle, tranny contamination, no coolant mixing with anything else, and no sweet smell out the tail pipe . The truck sat for along time before i bought it and i have owned it for about 3500 miles so far . So the question for the experts here is is there any other way to get air into the recovery tank and lose coolant without it being a head gasket issue ?? Or should i start saving my 1,000 dollars to get it fixed ? One additional note i can drive at 70 MPH all day without issue but when i idle in traffic for 2 minutes it will set the low coolant light off and then when i shut the key off and come back out the light is off and the coolant level is fine . No overheating or movement of the temp gauge has been noticed. Runs steady at about 200 degrees and idles fine , power is great .

Maybe leaking from an old hose, or hose clamp?

Maybe a hole in the rad?

I am sure if you got the front in the air on jack stands and ran the engine at 3500-4000 rpm for a couple minutes you will see it dripping from the problem area.

Pop the radiator cap when it's cold, top off the radiator, start it & look for bubbling in the coolant. If there isn't any, get a loan-a-tool pressure tester from Auto Zone (or similar), pump up the system, look for leaks. HG gasket leaks don't always go into oil passages, it could be burning AF in the combustion chamber, or even leaking to the outside (my brother's old '87 Tercel 1.5 3E engine does it).

A guy on the Ranger blog advises tying a rubber glove onto the filler neck. If it inflates, and pulsates. there is exhaust in the coolant. Next time I suspect a leak, I will try it
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 55Test
Castech heads..'nuff said
Yep, either the Cracktech heads, w/p gaskets, leaking o-ring at t-stat or a leaky hose.

The bubbling is somewhat concerning, but head gasket failures aren't all that common on this engine. Start simple and work up. A quick and dirty test to see if the heads are leaking coolant into the oil (Castech or Cracktech) is pull the drain plug- sometimes there will be a touch of vanilla milkshake on the tip of the plug and/or a few drops of coolant (sometimes not) but stick your finger into the stream of oil while shining a light into the mini waterfall. If it looks golden or fairly translucent, you're probably okay... if it looks seriously chocolaty, then you're probably in hot water.

Water pumps can leak that way.Take a good look at the weep hole in the pump. With the amount of coolant your losing it is doubtful it is a head gasket. Your oil would be a mess or you would have sweet smelling white smoke coming out the exhaust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back