A Lust-Worthy .22 Wheelgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gun is most definitely on my "short list" of guns to buy in the near future. It will make a nice companion piece to my E.A.A. 10 shot single action in .22 L.R. / .22 Magnum.

I like the S&W 617:

SampW4.jpg

Yet another one that's on my list. Especially now that it's available in a 10 shot as well. One can never have enough rimfire handguns. The older I get, the more they get shot. I'm at the point when I go to the range, it's almost never without a .22 of some type.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Especially now that it's available in a 10 shot as well.
Did they stop making it in 10 shot for a while? I have had mine for more than 10 years.

Interesting note on the 617's the older 6 shot versions are actually worth the most. Nice examples with the wood finger groove combat grips will bring nearly $1k. We've got one and it is one slick .22.

This is my Model 63 J Frame. I picked it up new in the mid 80's, (pre lock). It's been a good running, accurate little .22. It has a tight flash gap, so you have to keep the cylinder face clean or it will start to bind after a few hundred rounds. A minute or two with a Lead Away wipe and it's as clean as the day I took it from the box. That's why I lean more toward Stainless revolvers. You can be a bit more aggressive cleaning them. And if they get a bit dull looking, a few minutes with some Flitz Metal Polish and a soft rag, and it returns to factory brilliance.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Did they stop making it in 10 shot for a while? I have had mine for more than 10 years.

Not that I know of. It just doesn't seem like the 10 shot has been out that long. Time flies! To me any S&W revolver with a lock is "new". All mine are pre lock.

S&W model 18 Combat Masterpiece with 4" barrel. Still have the box, wax wrapping paper and unopened tool kit. Purchased it 46 years ago by trading a S&W .38 which was basically the same weapon that I had never fired. Wish I had the .38 today.

I really like the actions on S@W revolvers over Colts yeah the Colt Pythons are OK but the Smiths are better and the Rugers work pretty good I have had a Security 6 since 1977 and it could use some TLC which it may or may not get but it is a keeper.

If you want total ruggedness in a .22 revolver, the Ruger GP-100, 10 shot is without question, the way to go. It's built like a tank. While the S&W 617 is a bit more finely tuned, and "precision". They are both expensive, premium .22 wheel guns. It's a tough choice. It's too hard to buy one, and not walk away still wanting the other.

If you want total ruggedness in a .22 revolver, the Ruger GP-100, 10 shot is without question, the way to go. It's built like a tank. While the S&W 617 is a bit more finely tuned, and "precision". They are both expensive, premium .22 wheel guns. It's a tough choice. It's too hard to buy one, and not walk away still wanting the other.

Does ruggedness really even matter in a 22 revolver?

An S&W 17 or 18(or derivative) will take any rimfire case you throw at it.

I have Rugers that I shoot a decent amount and like, but in a given price range I'll take the S&W over the comparable Ruger DA every time.

With DA revolvers, there's always a lot of talk about trigger weight and feel through the pull. A properly set-up S&W will be dead even from the start to the time the hammer drops. Colt V springs "stack" noticeably at the end of the trigger travel. I can shoot both types well, but it takes some adjustment for me to go from one to the other. Rugers are all over the place through the course of the pull, and it drives me nuts.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

As much as any other gun. Sure, no one is saying it's a high pressure round. But the same thing happens every time you pull the trigger. And you end up pulling it a lot more on a .22.

As much as any other gun. Sure, no one is saying it's a high pressure round. But the same thing happens every time you pull the trigger. And you end up pulling it a lot more on a .22.
The 22 is a somewhat high pressure round ! Here is a list of max cartridge pressures to ponder

Not a high end gun, but I always liked the H&R Sportsman. Why? Because I am a sucker for a top break revolver. I wish someone out there still made a sa/da top break.

8975H_R_999.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I like the S&W 617:

SampW4.jpg

I have this gun. Rough. Trigger sucks, to put it bluntly. I have smoothed it out a decent bit with clean up and spring kit. The forcing cone looks like it was manufactured by a group of hungry chimpanzees. It's the least accurate .22 I have. I REALLY wish I had bought the Ruger.

Originally Posted By: CT8

The 22 is a somewhat high pressure round ! Here is a list of max cartridge pressures to ponder

24,000 psi isn't that great when you consider that both companies make 6-shot revolvers on that frame chambered in 357 Magnum(35,000 psi).

Any 22LR revolver in this frame size is going to have more than enough cylinder wall thickness to safely contain that pressure. Aside from that, the main wear point comes from the "battering" effect of the cylinder against the frame of the gun and the action. This is a function of the kinetic energy, and is is virtually negligible from a 22LR vs. the rounds that these guns were really designed to fire.

Rugers have developed a ruggedness perception and it is true that some parts are overbuilt. At the same time, though, the investment casting process Ruger uses is inherently weaker than a forged S&W frame, which ultimately is why a comparable Ruger is stronger and heavier. The S&W action is quite strong, with no known weak points. The Colt V-spring-by design-has some weakness in the hand because this is the easiest part to service or replace.

In any case, I will spend some time this evening looking up some "kaboom" tests I've seen comparing a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag to an S&W 29. The ultimate result was that the 29 actually let go at a higher pressure than did the Blackhawk, despite the Blackhawk's "indestructible" reputation.

For the wife we have a Taurus 94 22LR that has smoothed out from years of use. Earlier this year I got her the Ruger 22 LCR. Kind of a stout trigger pull but they say it was done that way for good primer hits.
Recently (last week) saw a new Ruger 10-shot 22LR revolver while at the local gun range. Might have to take a second look, but also having a little desire wanting to get a SA 22LR revolver too.
Problem is, seems I can't get 22LR ammo locally, always out last half dozen or so trips for some at 3 places.
If 22LR ammo was more abundant I'd liked to add a couple more 22's. I have plenty of 22LR ammo (and 22WMR for my rifle), but the stash only last depending how often we go shooting and how much each outing. And when it is available, it's limited usually 3 small boxes or 1 large size. She got the bulk bucket (1400 rounds of Remington Golden, I don't care for it but it makes her happy to plink it) earlier this year and folks here tell me that was next to impossible.
Although limited, is it declining elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back