60V Cordless Dewalt Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you still using 18V or 20V tools? What a wuss.
grin.gif
lol.gif

Dewalt has a new line of 60V tools. The batteries are actually dual voltage, at 20V/60V. They can also be paired for 120V, for the cordless table saw.

http://flexvolt.dewalt.com/en-us/

Overkill, or truly useful?

In another 10 years will we be seeing 240V cordless tools?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My cordless drill uses 14.4V. I feel so behind times.
smile.gif

Me too!

60 volts is high enough to be very careful with. There should be protection against shorts in such batteries, but don't rely on it.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
grin.gif
lol.gif

Dewalt has a new line of 60V tools. The batteries are actually dual voltage, at 20V/60V. They can also be paired for 120V, for the cordless table saw.

crazy2.gif

But it's 120v DC. A normal outlet is 120v AC.

It's interesting that they call them 20V MAX / 60V MAX batteries. That's only the voltage when they're fully charged - the nominal voltage (which is how batteries are usually specced) is 18V / 54V.

Originally Posted By: Donald
grin.gif
lol.gif

crazy2.gif

Diodes to convert AC to DC for line operation are cheap.

I guess there's some advantages in going with higher voltage and few amps, and the cordless table and mitre saw would be handy sometimes. I'm not on course to wear out my current tools so I guess I'll pass. I'm doing fine with the 18V drill as well.

Its a good system for professionals to buy into.

vs current top of the line stuff.(if you like dewalt of course)

Many things there is a good advantage for higher voltage.. within reason.

You dont see too many 20volt cordless lawnmowers etc.

Wow, cool. For me with occasional, home use, the initial costs and future replacements batteries would make them impractical for me. But 60v tools would be awesome for those in the building trades.

My only concern would be weight vs 18v tools with extra batteries or the like. It looks like they are not much bigger than 18v cordless tools so they could be ok.

Higher voltage lets you develop more power (volts * amps) with less current. Less current means more compact motors and less resistive losses.

Well AC and DC motors are of different design. I think a lot of saw motors are capacitor start. Unsure whether the best motor will be AC based or DC.

DC motors can be more compact thanks to permanent magnets. (Think permanent magnet mini starter on a car and how much power it has)

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
grin.gif
lol.gif

crazy2.gif

Diodes to convert AC to DC for line operation are cheap.

You would need a bridge. There would still be ripple. It wouldn't be isolated. And you're losing lots of power due to diode forward voltage. Much better to just use an AC motor rather than 'convert'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
Any cordless tools use brushless DC motors yet?

Yes, 3 or 4 years ago.

Looks like a nice upgrade for someone that's still using last-gen power tools. I currently have some 16 y/o Dewalt 18v cordless tools while still good just won't stand up to today's high-tech cordless tools. Having a more power per weight battery is much more better than keeping several NiMH batteries on charge.

60v grinder, cool. I have the 20v version and i love it, but it does destroy a battery in like 20 minutes. I guess angle grinders just require a ton of electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back