Window tinting recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently decided to tint my windows and I was wondering what would be the perfect VLT% (Visible light transmitted) ?

I'm thinking of 15% but I'm not sure if would be too dark for driving at night or if cops would be all over me for it.

The other option was 30% but it looked too clear.

I'm from Ontario where there is no set limit but it is up to the office to determine that.

I've had 35% on a few vehicles and no issues with not being able to see at night. The more important part of tint is you want it to block IR heat. The VLT is more cosmetics.

The legalities vary by state. There are more expensive tints available that can even be clear and still block UV and IR. The good dark tints block very little IR, but do block UV. I went lighter on my 2012 Mazda than what I had for years on my 89 Accord. I got tired of the poor visibility at night. Keep that in mind.

Where I am the law is 50% front windows and 35% rears which I did on both of my cars, kind of wish I did 35% all around but I don't need any more tickets.

It largely depends on what kind of car you drive. If it's a police magnet([censored] cannon installed, all sorts of wings and skirts etc.), then I would be careful, but if it's a normal, everyday sedan, with nothing that makes it "look at me", then 15% tint should be fine.

I suppose the perfect visible light transmitted, would be whatever is below what's legal. From my experience, I prefer darkest in my daily driver, but none at all in my weekend convertible ride. Darkest in my area is I think 15% for front windows, all others no limit. I went same tint of about 50% all around and love it on a dk gray car. However if I drove a lighter or brighter colored car or a lighter interior car, I would go lighter to 35%. Again, 35% is not legal for front windows in my area, but I've had 50% dark tint for nearly 11 years. I've even been pulled over once for speeding at night and have had a cop over to interview when I witnessed a fender bender. I didn't even have front plates. They didn't care. However my daily driver is a sublime stock sedan otherwise, like all other cars on the road and doesn't call out for attention.

Last edited:
I have 50% on the rears and 70% on the fronts. I find it's a nice mix for night driving and day driving and hasn't drawn any unwanted attention from cops or thieves.

Then again, I park in a garage at home

Stewie, are doing this yourself?

Any decent shop that does tint will know and recommend what's allowed for the area.

I had the rear 5 windows done on my base model 2016 Forester right after I bought it. It's slightly darker than factory, but looks great and is legal. Cost me $140 cash. I would never do the driver or passenger glass with film tint given the use these windows see.

Last edited:
35% is my preferred I think it's the best compromise between night visibility and looks, and it's the max legal in my current state.

I have 35% all around on both cars. Putting it on top of the factory rear window tint on the XC60 puts the back three windows at about 20%. Looks good, stays cool.

I always have 3M Ceramic applied.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Cost me $140 cash.

WOW
I spent $290 cash two years ago for my Focus.

I'm going to the States next time I need tinting done!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maximum legal allowed by law. 18% VLT is the darkest I'd go

Yep. I've had darker before. Not worth being hassled by the cops.

I used to have a RAV that I took in to have tinting done. The glass on the back passenger windows on back was fairly dark. The front windows and windshield was IR with so slight of a tint. I just asked them to do as much as they can without getting any attention to get pulled over. Never got pulled over for it. The IR really helped.

Dark as you're allowed is best IMO. If you have problems at night seeing behind you especially in the rain, the tint makes it that much harder just an fyi. Here in TX front door windows can be 25% rear and back glass there is no limit unless they changed it.
They have changed the front window tint % a few times already.... I want my front windows darker, but don't want to have to re do it again when they change it back to 30-35% again.

When I was in college the cops in Arlington, where my school was, got light meters and were issuing "tint tickets." Keep in mind that windows have SOME level of tint from the factory and adding the maximum legal tint film COULD result in illegally dark windows (technically). That's what caused a lot of tickets and revenue for the city back then.

As said above, it is not about VLT, it is about IR and heat blockage.
I have some cheap 35% tint on my truck that I got on e-bay, my wife's car has some 55% Suntek CXP tint.
Hers blocks tons of heat, mine, not so much.

As for how dark, 35% is the darkest I would go for front side windows.
On my '04 Elantra, I had 35% on the front sides, 5% in the rear sides and 20% on the back window. 20% was almost to dark, no way I would do 5% on the back window, it would be like having the window covered at night. The 5% on the sides was impossible to see out of at night, even in the day it was almost too dark.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
As said above, it is not about VLT, it is about IR and heat blockage.
I have some cheap 35% tint on my truck that I got on e-bay, my wife's car has some 55% Suntek CXP tint.
Hers blocks tons of heat, mine, not so much.

As for how dark, 35% is the darkest I would go for front side windows.
On my '04 Elantra, I had 35% on the front sides, 5% in the rear sides and 20% on the back window. 20% was almost to dark, no way I would do 5% on the back window, it would be like having the window covered at night. The 5% on the sides was impossible to see out of at night, even in the day it was almost too dark.

You want to block UV, too. UV gets absorbed by interior materials and then that energy gets emitted as infrared. Like a greenhouse. I got some clear tint applied to my house windows that reflects UV and IR but barely affects visible light. Huge difference in room temp during summer sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back