8th Generation Civics Oil Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Follow the oil life monitor 4K intervals are too short.

2) 0w20 is fine and reduces start up wear compared to 5w20 especially in winter. Honda themselves back spec'd 0w20 for most of their older cars:
fed5ad37f61384f3f14c4689677b9059x.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2civics
So bare bones... the difference between the 0w-20 vs. the 5w-20 with both being fully synthetic is that 0w-20 gets slightly better gas mileage and is slightly better at startup. Is there a benefit to using the 5w-20?

I wouldn't even say that 0w20 gets better gas mileage, maybe in Alaska for the first 5 minutes of driving. The difference is so small. I did a comparison of 0w30 mobil synth over 10k vs. 10w30 over 5k miles and it was a difference of < 1 MPG in favor of the 10w30. So many other things, like traffic or my right foot's mood will affect it.

I honestly would just ignore what your friend said. Just buy any 20 weight SN rated oil and move on.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
So bare bones... the difference between the 0w-20 vs. the 5w-20 with both being fully synthetic is that 0w-20 gets slightly better gas mileage and is slightly better at startup. Is there a benefit to using the 5w-20?

I had the same theory on gas mileage, but it hasn't played out that way in real life. I cannot think of a benefit to using 5w20 in your Civic.

Originally Posted By: bitog
The Si uses 5w30. All other 8th gen Civics use 5w20 or 0w20. . . .

Just for fun: Why do you suppose the All-Knowing, Insightful, Omnipotent Honda Motor Company continued to recommend 5W-30 weight oil for the 8th Generation Si K-series engine in the good ol' USA and elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back