Optima Yellow Top or East Penn Deka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Sequoia needs a new battery, picking it up tomorrow morning. Currently in the truck is a 9.5 year old Optima D31A but failed to start the other day (kids listening to music). I recharged with a CTEK charger made for AGM's. It's working but cranking slow so it's time.

Correct size for truck is a 27F which no local places by me have in stock. AZ, AAP, WM, Sears, Pepboys. I want to stick with the AGM as my factory wet cell just sulfated and corroded like crazy.

Sams has the Duracell AGM (East Penn Deka) in a 31 that will fit no issue for $175. PepBoys by my job has Optima 27F (correct for truck) and the D31 (not sure if D31A without studs). Pepboys has 30% off which puts the Optima at $187 which is cheaper than Amazon.

I tried local Interstate distributor and 9+ shops and no one had the 27F's available nevermind in AGM. Distributor said 2 weeks to order it and $270.

What says the BITOG crowd?

The newer Optimas don't last as long as the old ones did. We were using them in military equipment where I work and quality went south. I will never use another one.

Napa probably has it or can get it fast through their network. I think Napa batteries are made by East Penn.

Deka batteries are awesome. Sears DieHard, Napa, Sam's Duracell are all Deka AFAIK.

Napa does have the 27F battery. If your particular store doesn't have it in stock, they can order it for you with no problems, or you can order online and save 10%
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Duralast gold for $100.00 is the battery i choose.

I usually buy them but bought a AAP gold battery last week. $100.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
The newer Optimas don't last as long as the old ones did. We were using them in military equipment where I work and quality went south. I will never use another one.
how new? I have been hearing how bad optima are but mine is still going after 7 desert summers

What's the matter with your truck that it abuses batteries that are specified for it?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
how new? I have been hearing how bad optima are but mine is still going after 7 desert summers
I know that they moved all production to Mexico sometime in 2009.

Rectangular agm have 25% more capacity than sprial cell six pack.

Agm batteries when deeply cycled want high amp charge rates. Some brands more so than others. But they will suffer if deeply cycled and recharged slowly especially when old and already capacity compromised.

Run that cteck monthly overnight for maintenance. But if you drain an agm dead. Aim for 30 amps per 100 ah of capacity.

Even with this high initial charge rate, no less than 5.5 hours will be required before amps at absorption voltage tapers to 0.5% of capacity, at which point. And only at this point can the agm battery be considered fully charged.

Dont let an automatic charger's green light mock you with its lies.
Load deeply cycled battery until voltage drops below 12.6 and restart charger on next lowest amp setting. Lather rinse repeat.

What did they switch to in place of the Optima's?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What's the matter with your truck that it abuses batteries that are specified for it?

Back in time there were many threads on Tundrasolutions with Sequoia's and Tundra's having a lot of corrosion from factory batteries. Dealer replaced mine under warranty, problem continued. 2nd battery got weak during winter and it was less than 2 years old. Added extra lights, DVD for kids, wife/kids left interior light on etc. Switched to Deep cycle AGM and no more issues. Light got left on a couple times, truck still started, no corrosion. The D31's also have more CCA and reserve capacity. Like the rest of BITOG, do you have a preference of a certain oil? Do you just bring to dealer and let them handle it? We always want better, longer lasting etc.

For the Sams Duracell Deka, I do need to get the stud to SAE post adapters but local stores have them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Rectangular agm have 25% more capacity than sprial cell six pack.

Agm batteries when deeply cycled want high amp charge rates. Some brands more so than others. But they will suffer if deeply cycled and recharged slowly especially when old and already capacity compromised.

Run that cteck monthly overnight for maintenance. But if you drain an agm dead. Aim for 30 amps per 100 ah of capacity.

Even with this high initial charge rate, no less than 5.5 hours will be required before amps at absorption voltage tapers to 0.5% of capacity, at which point. And only at this point can the agm battery be considered fully charged.

Dont let an automatic charger's green light mock you with its lies.
Load deeply cycled battery until voltage drops below 12.6 and restart charger on next lowest amp setting. Lather rinse repeat.

The CTEK has a recondition mode on it for the batteries including AGM. I actually bought it after watching the video's from Optima on bringing battery back to life. I used it on an Optima from another vehicle that sat for 3 years and was reading low/wouldn't take a charge. Worked for 2 years after that (car got totaled, battery cracked).

Sams also has some Optima Blue tops when I was checking. Some of their batteries were already 3 years old according to date code. The Duracell's are from June 16.

Last edited:
I've been using the AGMs from either AAP or AZ in my vehicles, and buying based on dimensions and RC rather than group size. Now that I've lived with them for a few years, I won't go back. I can always beat factory CCA and get at least 25-50% more RC doing this. I certainly pay more for the AGM, but they deliver- especially if I've had loads on for a couple of hours such as lights or radio or accidental lights on, etc.. very pleased. The crank speed in the truck has stayed rapid with the agm battery, unlike the gradual slowing I experienced with the last stock-size flooded cell.

Agms tend to have higher fully charged resting voltages. And tend tomaintain higher voltages under load. I have a 3 year group 27 new northstar agm battery with over 400 deep.cycles.

Recharged Correctly its capacity retainment is impressive.

Overkill for just engine starting. But it is violently fast doing so and has no issues doing so depleted 60 of its 90 amp hour capacity.

Also can gobble huge charge rates and is better.for.them

Sams club Duracell 31AGM is in.I went by Pepboys on the way home. Only store in 25 miles that had the Optima 27F. They had 6 on the shelf, the freshest one according to barcode was July 2015. All had stickers (maybe from PB) that said 4/16 and 6/16. I did buy the post to SAE adapters while I was there.

Went to Sams and got an F6 East Penn (June 16). Pointed out to manager standing there that he had 3 Optima's that were 3 years old on the shelf
shocked.gif
before someone gets ticked that their new battery died right away. He called someone to confirm code and then gave me 15% off on the Duracell
grin.gif

It showed 12.7V when I checked it BUT cranked the truck MUCH better than the Optima (still showing 12.65V). CTEK is on it now to bring it up to full charge. Wife only works 2 miles from home so not much recharge drive time normally. I'll try to be more diligent an hit it with the charger more often.

Another Nice thing about agm battery is amperage at absorption voltage can determine when fully charged.

I have digital ammeter counting amps into and out of battery. After a quick cold engine start with fully charged battery, within 45 seconds it requires less than 0.4 amps to maintain 14.46 v indicating battery is full.

Now if i drive at night with blower motor on High when waiting at traffic light. 10+ amps are flowing from battery to make up for what alternator cannot provide. Then much more time is required to top off battery compared to just an engine start.

DDepletng battery with engine off takes considererably longer to return to full as at the closer to full the battery is the less it can accept.

When vehicles.voltage regulator only seeks 13.7v, much much longer.

My northstar required an initial 50% discharge and a high amp recharge to full (5.5 hours) before its resting voltage would stay above 13v.

Cant say if the deka intimidator also needs this initial break in but they do recommend no more than a 30 amp per 100 ah maximum where as northstar has no upper limit on initial charging amps as long as voltage is limited to 14.46@ 77 Degrees f.

It has rested at 13.06v Ever since when fully charged.

if you truly want the best battery, splurge for enersys and don't waste time with an optima. TPPL technology is still the leader for lead acid.

Last edited:
I borrowed one of the Solar BA9 battery testers just to see where the Optima was at (as well as rest of home fleet). Battery started the truck yesterday then drove home 15 minutes and replaced. It has been sitting for one day. Voltage on multi meter and Solar was at 12.6 volts. CCA is supposed to be 900, the solar tested it at 147 CCA (16.3% capacity) :eek:, amazing it still did anything. Wife wasn't home to see what the Duracell is showing.

Nice little tester that covers regular flooded batteries, AGM spiral and flat, Gel, start-stop batteries as well as starting and charging tests. Might need to pick one up to keep just because. Great for those with multi-vehicles, boats etc to keep an eye on them.

Doog- Keeping it until it dies or rusts out (hopefully)
wrcsixeight- nothing that I saw on recommendations to drain half way then recharge. I don't know what the AMP rate is on the CTEK it lists voltages 14.7 for AGM, 14.4 for normal. I know its made for it, I just have a hard time purposely killing a new battery but might be up for trying it. Time is the hard part to kill and recharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back