Should I switch to Mobil One EP for the ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I switch to Mobil One EP for the PAO content? I've established, with some great help, that I am sticking with 0W-20 weight oil. Now I am wondering if it is worth switching from regular, full synthetic, Mobil 1 to EP for the added benefit of the greater PAO content? (I will still be doing oil changes at 4k mile intervals. That's just a "me" thing. I realize I could go much longer with EP or regular for that matter.) Since both oils in the 5 quart jugs at Walmart are about the same price, why not? Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure I am making sense here. I currently use Mobile One 0W-20 full synthetic. I want to know if switching to Mobile One EP 0W-20 makes sense due to the greater PAO content, when extended mileage isn't a factor, and cost is the same.
crazy.gif

IMO, it's a waste at that mileage either way.

You're not taking advantage of the added benefit, so it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
So the only added benefit of PAO is at higher mileage?

The only added benefit of synthetic oil is to extend change intervals. At 4k miles you're just dumping good oil if you're using M1.

I still get better lubrication at startup, where 90% of engine wear takes place, regardless of how many miles I go with it. Am I wrong in stating this?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
The body of your Civic will rot away in Indiana long before the engine shows signs of that wear.

Is Indiana worse than Massachusetts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
The body of your Civic will rot away in Indiana long before the engine shows signs of that wear.

Is Indiana worse than Massachusetts?

Probably not. Consider that the Maxx in my sig has 158K miles with nothing but conventional changes to the oil life monitor (6500-7500 miles) and my daughter will probably get a new car next year when she graduates from college.

At that mileage, you're going to spend like 3 times more on oil changes than me with the same result. Kind of defeats the purpose of an economy car.

I still get better lubrication at startup, where 90% of engine wear takes place, regardless of how many miles I go with it. Am I wrong in stating this?

90% of the wear occurs during the warmup phase as the oil heats up to 175-185 deg F....which can take from 5-20 minutes typically, depending on ambient temps and other factors. Not that much wear occurs as you turn the key and wait for oil pressure to come up. A conventional oil properly rated for the ambient temp will still perform well.

Somewhat. If it is too cold for the oil to reach the oil pump there will be a problem. what is the big whoop about PAO base oils other than arctic starts? PAO isn't a whole lot better than todays conventional oils

I've made the same change you are contemplating with the same engine a little over a year ago. As stated in your other thread, I've not noticed any benefit in terms of mileage. Where the benefit does lie is in the extended drain interval. I had always run 5000 mile intervals on this Civic as well as a 2005 with the 1.7 liter engine. Now I run to 0% on the OLM, which is roughly 8000 miles. I suspect that I could easily go 10,000 miles or more. You might consider getting a used oil analysis at your next change. Running only 4000 miles on Mobil1 is a real waste of money.

Last edited:
Run a good conventional oil for a 4,000 mile oil change I agree you are just dumping out good oil with any quality synthetic. If it makes you feel better get a synthetic that is on sale like Napa syn they just had it on sale for $2.99 a quart buy a few cases and stock up.

And Western MA is one of the worst places as far as rust on a car I am not sure how bad the rust issue is down in the Boston area but what ever they use at the other end of the state is real bad!

You will notice no difference between a good conventional a low cost synthetic to an expensive synthetic for a 4K OCI other then your cost to change the oil.

My company has several Ford Focus cars several are run on conventional oil (Formula Shell) and several on synthetic (M1,Napa,PP, ST etc) they all lasted over 200k with body rot being the reason for dumping them.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
So the only added benefit of PAO is at higher mileage?

The only added benefit of synthetic oil is to extend change intervals. At 4k miles you're just dumping good oil if you're using M1.

Not true. There are other benefits as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back