8th Generation Civics Oil Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My civics recommend (owner's manual) a 5w-20 or a 0w-20 oil. I've been using the 0w-20 oil from Mobile One for years. I was just told recently by a car nut that I don't know more than just an acquaintance that the 0w-20 is good for gas mileage but will eventually shorten engine life. Help!
Anybody familiar with Honda and specically the 8th gen (Years 2006- 2011, I believe) Civic Ex? (The Si has completely different oil specs. of course.)
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Last edited:
I'm almost positive my 08 Si recommended 5w20 (if not it was 5w30). I would say you're fine with either 5w20 or 0w20. Since you've been using 0w20 that has probably been a synthetic, so you're more than protected. Keep doing that, with quality filters and general maintenance and there is no reason you wont hit 200k+ miles.

are you using the built in oil life monitor to calculate your oil change? Again it was an Si, but mine use to get to 0% at about 6,000 miles. I could have maybe gone longer using synthetic, but I usually listened to it in that car since they were known to burn about 1/2 quart every 5k anyway. If so the 0w20 should be just fine for your engine. I guess it could depend on the kind of use it sees, but im assuming you're not racing around everywhere?

Not racing around at all. Just stop and go in town driving. I change the oil every 4k miles regardless of the monitor. Just makes me feel good I suppose. I realize I could go longer.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Not racing around at all. Just stop and go in town driving. I change the oil every 4k miles regardless of the monitor. Just makes me feel good I suppose. I realize I could go longer.

I'm sure you could easily, but I change in my cars much sooner than I probably need to also, so no judgement here.

With that kind of use and interval in mind, any quality synthetic would be great, but at this point if you've been using 0w20 I would stick with that.

Nice car you have there, my 8th gen Si looking back has probably been my favorite car I've ever owned.

Thanks. You definitely got a better ride experience than I have with my two (2009, 2011) EX models, but the idea was to put 150k miles plus on these things and the last thing I want to be doing is shortening the engine life with the wrong oil. lol

It doesn't take much to get me second guessing things sometimes.

So now I'm under the impression the the 0 weight has better startup flow, generally. 5w would be just a bit less? Or am I wrong on both counts?

Thanks. You definitely got a better ride experience than I have with my two (2009, 2011) EX models

Granted the Si Model had its "upgrades", seats, trans, engine, suspension (which I changed anyway). It also had the red speedo and lighting VS blue, but honestly I liked the blue just as much. I think for its time, in those years, the 8th gen Civic was best in class regardless of trim model. Sounds like you even have the facelifted 8th gens.

So now I'm under the impression the the 0 weight has better startup flow, generally. 5w would be just a bit less? Or am I wrong on both counts?

Probably technically true, but depending on temperature. You probably wont see temps so low that 5w would be too much. I'd say in this case its "close as makes no difference".

The Si uses 5w30. All other 8th gen Civics use 5w20 or 0w20.

You can use any 5w20 or 0w20 for the full OCI suggested by the computer. Smitty's at Kmart will be sufficient, but for OLM cars, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale. This month, it seems to be PP ($4.99/qt at Napa, and a $2/qt rebate on top of that)

The 8th gen civic with the 1.8 engine specs 5w-20. The 9th gen (which is basically the same engine) specs 0w-20. I would say that either is just fine but I use 5w-20 in my 2010 Civic.

I have an old kia beater that from new used 5-20. Now it only has 220K miles on it. Maybe I should switch to 20w50! Gese these low vis rumors will never end.

Agree, don't listen to the car nut friend. As long as that last number is a 20 it will not shorten engine life. The 1st number is the rating of flow rate when it's VERY, VERY cold, below any temperature the inside of your engine will see in Indiana. I'd worry more about shortening engine life by red-lining before the engine has reached temperature.

So bare bones... the difference between the 0w-20 vs. the 5w-20 with both being fully synthetic is that 0w-20 gets slightly better gas mileage and is slightly better at startup. Is there a benefit to using the 5w-20?

Last edited:
I didn't like Valvoline in 30 grades but their 0w20 seemed pretty good from what ive run in the wifes Subaru. Valvoline provided the best fuel mileage and the cleanest appearing VVT mechanism, sprocket (you can see some bits through the 710 fill hole)

I wouldn't run a 20 in anything I drive. You can run a light 30. if you are a hot shoe. Otherwise proceed with anything.

Most all north america marketed "fully synthetic" are only semi-synthetic.

Being "Synthetic" doesn't automatically = magical awesome protection.

This is from Honda's website.

"Honda Genuine Motor Oil

Top Performance Begins with Top Quality Oil.

Motor oil is your engine’s lifeblood. It lubricates your engine and protects moving parts to keep things running right. With the variety of grades and viscosities available, choosing the right motor oil may seem confusing. Honda Genuine Motor Oils are blended and tested to meet strict Honda requirements, and are available in a variety of grades and viscosities, each formulated specifically for use in Honda engines. You see, Honda engines are designed to work best with lower-viscosity motor oils, and oil not specified for them can diminish engine performance. So how do you pick the right motor oil with so many brands and types to choose from? Easy. Just look for the only motor oil with the Honda name."

http://owners.honda.com/parts-accessories/parts

Honda is saying they build and design their engines to use the lower viscosity oils. I think you will be fine with Mobil 1, their oils are turning in very good UOA's lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back