D1, T6 or Delo 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a long time, the only widely available 5W-40 HDEO was Rotella. This oil also used to be about the cheapest Grp III on the shelf at Walmart, although not anymore. I bought and used this oil in at least one of our '86 Civics as well as our '97 Aerostar 3.0. Interestingly, the Aerostar gave its best fuel economy ever using this oil at a hair under 25 mpg while on a trip to South Florida even though the oil had much higher HTHS than the 5W-30 syn it had previously gotten.
Rotella 5W-40 became the darling of Subaru turbo boys as well as some old German car owners.
More recently, Delvac 1 and Delo 5W-40s have come into wider retail distribution. I believe Valvoline has a similar product but I haven't seen it on any shelves.
Of these oils, which would you prefer and why?
I have a preference, but I won't state it since I'm asking for informed opinions and not trying to start an argument.

I believe Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is a better overall oil, but depending on the application, drain interval and how many miles are racked up total, it might not make a difference.

Between T6, TDT, Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 and Delo, TDT has the worst VI. What that means in the real-world and why, I can't say, as I don't know. I would try each for 2 intervals, see which you prefer.

I hope the D1 has a good amount of "Hi G" base oil - priced like it is ...
Then again the Delvac synthetic gear oil is $$ too - for the same reason ?

I'd forgotten about TDT, like most folks.
Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I hope the D1 has a good amount of "Hi G" base oil - priced like it is ...
Then again the Delvac synthetic gear oil is $$ too - for the same reason ?

How much is it there and where at? It's priced similar to other CJ-4 5w40s outside of truck stops and auto parts stores.

$37 online - all the stores have gone wild with Rotello and a bit of Delo - there is Delvac 1300 still around ...

Around here, D1 is priced the same as TDT or M1 PCMO, although the M1 PCMO comes in five quart jugs.
It's typically a little more costly than T6.
This weekend, I bought four jugs of D1 for a little under thirty dollars after store discounts and MIRs making it pretty darn cheap. Mobil MIRs aren't the same trip to the slots you get with SOPUS rebates either. When you file for a Mobil rebate you get it instead of some excuse as to why it was denied.

What about good old fashioned M1 0W-40? I think Pennzoil 5W-40 can be bought off their site and there is a rebate on that.

Depending on application, I'd go either Delo or Rotella checking for rebates. But Mobil 1 TDT should be easy to find.

Pity Valvoline wont sell their MaxLife Full Syn 5W-40 in NA...

T6 because of availability, can find it anywhere I go. My old oil burner needs to have oil added throughout the OCI so it only makes sense to go with whatever is easiest to find. Oh, and I also use the T6 in my quad (2013 Honda 400EX) because it carries the JASO-MA rating for wet clutches, and the bike runs EXCELLENT on it, much cheaper and probably better than the expensive [censored] the Honda dealer sells.

If money and availability weren't an issue, Mobil Delvac 1 would be my choice because it has the highest flash point of them all. But again, trying to find that around here is tough, and it's ungodly expensive as well, IMHO.

If it were me, it would be Delvac 1, obviously, because of price here. The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 does have better base stocks, too, but in practice, it wouldn't mean one bit of difference for me. The significant discount I get on Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 (Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is even cheaper yet, oddly enough) is the clincher. For whatever reason, I can get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 at a regular price better than a lot of U.S. sales. Yet, stores retail M1 jugs at around $50 here. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back