04 Lexus ES330 Syn Power 5w30 6923mi FL-910S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be interested to see the difference with the different oil in easier circumstances...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'll be interested to see the difference with the different oil in easier circumstances...

We shall see in about another 6 weeks, the current fill has about 5,000 miles on it as of right now. Planning to sample or change and sample at 7,500. I'll post it and provide a link here.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

We shall see in about another 6 weeks, the current fill has about 5,000 miles on it as of right now. Planning to sample or change and sample at 7,500. I'll post it and provide a link here.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks...I've considered using Synpower for awhile but was concerned about its durability.

Last edited:

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks...I've considered using Synpower for awhile but was concerned about its durability.

I think that like most oils, it varies based on application. At least in my application it's safe to a minimum of 7,500 miles and perhaps beyond. Different engines and driving styles may differ. Happy to contribute to the community.

Posted as a follow up to previous discussion. This oil was 2010-2011 ish Mobil 1 5w30 SM spec 4 quarts and 1 quart of Redline 5w30 probably from around 2008 ish. Apparently this was before Mobil started using a heavy dose of magnesium in their oils. More details in the thread for this specific UOA.

Great metal wear rates, and the oil mixture performs well and still serviceable.
OCI could be extended further as suggested.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Great metal wear rates, and the oil mixture performs well and still serviceable.

I have to admit I was a little worried that the Redline wouldn't play well whenmixed with the M1 and admittedly this oil was in use longer than I originally intended. However thankfully everything looks good here. I will likely run the current PUP to ~10k and stick to 10k on synthetic oils from here on out. At any rate if I chose to stick to 10k services I will have doubled the previous OCI the car was using under my mothers ownership which would save me money, however I will probably UOA everyone so I'll be about even, but whatever, the UOA is a hobby.

Originally Posted By: zeng

I have to admit I was a little worried that the Redline wouldn't play well whenmixed with the M1 and admittedly this oil was in use longer than I originally intended. However thankfully everything looks good here. I will likely run the current PUP to ~10k and stick to 10k on synthetic oils from here on out. At any rate if I chose to stick to 10k services I will have doubled the previous OCI the car was using under my mothers ownership which would save me money, however I will probably UOA everyone so I'll be about even, but whatever, the UOA is a hobby.
People for some reason seem to think oils don't mix well. There are only a handful of companies that make additives and the add packages all have the same additives in them . Different mixes but still close enough to work good enough as many uoas have proven .

CT8,

It would seem at least these older oils from M1 & Redline had similar additive packages save for the more robust moly in the Redline. Going back to the UOA from my Supercharged 2002 Tacoma in which I ran the Redline originally my samples showed about 625-675 ppm of moly. Obviously I wasn't worried about it enough to not run it for ~9000 miles and all turned out well. I currently have another mix in my 4Runner but it is all Ashland made oil (Valvoline and Napa).

Originally Posted By: SR5
OP, thanks for a great series of UOA from the same car. Both did very well.

I'm quite pleased with how both oils performed in this car. The current fill is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in a 5w30 and I'm planning to run it about ~10k and change/sample it has about 5,000 miles yet to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back