2016 Chevy Cruze burning oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a random post, yesterday as I was out driving I noticed a black Chevy Cruze stopped on the side of the road behind a Suburban. I thought they had been involved in an accident since I saw smoke in the general area, but as I pulled by they started to drive off (with no damage) and the Cruze was puffing out an obscene amount of blue smoke from the tailpipe. What would cause this on such a new car? I believe this new generation all come with the 1.4T if I remember correctly.

Maybe it was filled up with diesel, just had an oil change recently and the place forgot to fill it with oil, loose oil filter leaking on hot engine/exhaust are some guesses. I'm sure some damage was done. They probably didn't want to wait for a tow. Yes, they all come with the 1.4T I believe. They're also built about an hour away in Lordstown, Ohio.

Prolly built with a faulty turbo - they are going to do just that if it goes out ...

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Might be the diesel version and could be prone to smoke if not taken care of.

I don't think they have rolled out a diesel in the current line up. I know they had them in the previous generation.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Was it the new one or the older version?

The current body style...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Was it the new one or the older version?

The current body style...

Well, they upgraded the 1.4 for this gen, so either this car was abused or has a major issue....

I had one of them as a loaner last week while my malibu was in for some warranty work. They have the new updated 1.4L turbo and they are quite peppy. I didnt notice any black smoke from mine and i pushed tht car to its limits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe it was filled up with diesel, just had an oil change recently and the place forgot to fill it with oil, loose oil filter leaking on hot engine/exhaust are some guesses. I'm sure some damage was done. They probably didn't want to wait for a tow. Yes, they all come with the 1.4T I believe. They're also built about an hour away in Lordstown, Ohio.

Does the factory look nice? Is there good roads for the UAW to get to and from there?

My Cobalt came from Ohio, so I guess they just retooled and started making Cruzes there around the time the economy collapsed.

Or maybe it had been sitting there idling forever? No one really knows, but if its a problem there is a warranty. No, they do not all have the 1.4 turbo.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Or maybe it had been sitting there idling forever? No one really knows, but if its a problem there is a warranty. No, they do not all have the 1.4 turbo.

Yes they all do have the 1.4 turbo.

Could just be that one car has a problem and is not indicative of issues for that model. Chalk it up as a random observance.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Does the factory look nice? Is there good roads for the UAW to get to and from there?

My Cobalt came from Ohio, so I guess they just retooled and started making Cruzes there around the time the economy collapsed.

The factory is just off the Turnpike neat Youngstown, OH (Lordstown)and there are good access roads to get to the plant. This is the same place that made your Cobalt.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Prolly built with a faulty turbo - they are going to do just that if it goes out ...

^This

I have seen a couple of turbos where the oil deflector on the compressor side was missing entirely. As there is a pretty good vacuum behind the compressor wheel so with oil coming out of the joint it turns it into an oil atomizer. It wasn't too bad at idle when the oil pressure and flow are lower as is the vacuum behind the compressor wheel but when you spooled it up it would spray oil at an alarming rate. An oil flinger that is backwards will also have a similar effect, but is less dramatic.

The other possible one is that the piston rings on the turbine side are missing or were damaged during assembly, this would have a similar effect, but would dump the oil into the exhaust/catalyst rather than filling the induction system.

Both of these result in full boost being available, but smoking like an old freight train.

If the turbo was starved of oil (pinched/bent oil line, etc) it would last for just a few seconds until it friction-welded at the thrust bearing, usually snapping the shaft. Then the compressor wheel runs out the front of the turbo and collides with the compressor cover (think cat with it's tail slammed in a door by accident), and the turbine wheel can slide back and collide with the turbine housing. The oil is now more or less free to pour out of both ends of the turbo, making for a pretty good mosquito fogger. Usually this is immediately noticed by the driver. Nice thing on a gasoline engine is that it just puts on a good show, Diesel engines can eat the lube oil as fuel and can get really exciting when these things happen (ask me how I know....).

Things like this happen from time to time when you have to build thousands of cars, last I looked that plant was cranking out over 200K cars every year (somewhere around 850 to 1000 cars per day). You can be careful trying to engineer out as many failure modes as you can think of, but Murphy always shows up from time to time with a "new contribution" you didn't expect or has never happened before. I have dealt with an over-zealous customs agent picking up a pretty big turbo by a very small oil supply line to inspect it and look underneath, then put it back in it's place. This was an event we didn't expect, and all of the internal handling procedures in the world won't stop something like that from happening. We ended up putting labels on them in multiple languages NOT TO lift the turbo by this component, which everybody in the plant already knew.

Good summary - to your point of "getting them down the line" - we see lots of: does your car eat oil or tranny jerk - well, not mine etc things on some generally well engineered cars.

I know a CAT manager that supplied mechanics to work on faster than ever produced new engines - the client rushed the order - so when they get tested in the trucks - two mechanics deal with a few that can't pass muster. They all wind up good.
Customer and Builder are all OK with that ...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Yes, it's old but has been retooled and updated nicely. Doesn't look like an old plant. You can see it clearly from the OH turnpike as mentioned. The PA turnpike fees right into the OH one.

I think the Cruze/Sonic turbo with a manual would be a lot of fun and I'm not normally a manual type guy. I saw a black 2016 Sonic turbo manual advertised for $13,995, msrp of around $19,500 iirc.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Originally Posted By: bvance554

Yes they all do have the 1.4 turbo.

They do. Thats what I meant to say...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back