Weird problem with a Tecumseh 3.5 hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the blade off my lawnmower to sharpen it and put a new starter cord in and now the motor won't turn.

I can barely pull the motor motor through a revolution using the blade (with the spark plug disconnected of course) but can't turn it at all with the starter cord.

Given that I didn't touch the motor I can't see what could have caused this. My initial thought was the engine was hydrolocked with oil from being on its side so I pulled the plug but this made no difference.

It's an old 3.5 hp L-head Tecumseh motor on a generic 20" push mower. I figured someone here might have run into this issue before and know the solution.

can you pull the cord and turn it over with the plug out? If it worked fine before I'm suspecting a bad install of the new cord.

Is the recoil assembly hanging up on anything? That would seem to be the only source of resistance based on what you did. I would take that off so that you're only left with the bare motor and then try turning it over.

Did we wined the spring in the recoil?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Are you pulling the dead man handle as you try to turn over the engine? Most engines have a brake on the flywheel.

+1

I'm pulling the dead man's handle and I did wind the starter cord a couple of turns before installing it.

It does feel like the brake from the dead man's handle is on... I guess I'll pull the recoil starter and take a look at it and the brake mechanism.

You should first try what bvance said-- remove the spark plug. If you had the mower tipped up on its side for a long time the cylinder can fill up with gas or oil and hydro-lock the engine.

Last edited:
The OP already tried removing the spark plug with no change. Did you cut the rope too short and it's already out as far as it will go? If it's in the eye bolt on the handlebar, try removing it and see if it winds back into the housing. If that's not it, then you'll just have to pull the shroud off again to make sure nothing is binding. Also make sure the rope isn't binding in the pulley.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: Surestick
I did wind the starter cord a couple of turns before installing it.

That rewind coil spring needs to be wound up as far as it will go before letting go of it to pull the rope in.

exactly this happened to me a month ago. Figured it out quickly but the oil was not easy to blow/pour out... First a hydrolocked feeling and then just heavy to turn

Originally Posted By: mk378
You should first try what bvance said-- remove the spark plug. If you had the mower tipped up on its side for a long time the cylinder can fill up with gas or oil and hydro-lock the engine.

It turns out it was the brake that had somehow become jammed on. I took the shroud off the top of the engine and fiddled with the brake until it disengaged. I lubed the pivots and it seems to work properly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back