F1 - 2016 Italian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I have no problem understanding either one of them, or ANY of them. Of the four, David Hobbs can sometimes be the least clear but even that's rare.

Originally Posted By: billt460
He managed to irritate both Eccelstone and Raikkonen today.

Bernie was in an odd mood today. He seemed to really perplex Martin Brundle somehow, though I only caught the last few seconds of their chat on the grid before the race. Brundle was muttering something under his breath as he was walking away from Bernie and looked confused, so I'm not sure what transpired. Irritating Kimi in an interview isn't terribly difficult. Interviewing Kimi without irritating him is the real accomplishment.

Maybe someone else who gets the UK feed saw what happened with Bernie and Martin and can enlighten me.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I just fast-forward through the Buxton grid walks.

I'm going to start doing that. Especially now that they are having 60 minute pre race shows. That guy drives me nuts.

I like our US commentators a lot, accents and all. I think they're easy to understand, and maybe I'm just used to them, but when I watch clips from Sky Sports I don't like the coverage as much. Diffey has enthusiasm and is pretty sharp, Hobbs is entertaining, Matchett is insightful, and Buxton isn't afraid to get in there and ask any question.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Hobbs is entertaining, Matchett is insightful, and Buxton isn't afraid to get in there and ask any question.

Both Hobbs and Matchett are extremely knowledgeable. Hobbs was a winning driver for years, and successfully drove a multitude of different race cars into Victory Lane during his long career. Steve Matchett built cars for Schumacher when he worked as a mechanic for Benetton. Brian Till was also a successful driver who knows his way around a race track. The other 2 wannabe's barely know enough to be dangerous. And both are very annoying. Like a buzzing fly that needs to be swatted.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Maybe someone else who gets the UK feed saw what happened with Bernie and Martin and can enlighten me.

There are some odd rumours flying about with regards to the potential sale of F1 again and Bernie was being his usual cryptic and deflecting self. It may happen as early as tomorrow, or it might not happen at all. Lots of speculation and nothing firm, but that was what seemed to have Martin a bit jumpy.

I was very happy to hear that Monza's terrible first chicane is going away in favor of a faster one a little further down the track, using the footprint of the ancient (1930's-era) Pirelli test track as its entrance. It's at the expense of Curva Grande, sadly.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-monza-second-quicker-f1-cars-2017/

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/monza-track-changes-2017.jpg

One of my favorite tracks but with absolutely my most hated corner. Good riddance.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Buxton asks stupid questions. He managed to irritate both Eccelstone and Raikkonen today.

Bernie was already annoyed because he's worried about his job. There's no job security when the company you work for is sold. I like Buxton. Diffy is ok. My only issue with him is he likes to create drama when there is none.

The NBCSN broadcast team is the best in the business. Diffey and Buxton are exceptional. Compare to any other team--no contest.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you, Indydriver. Perhaps familiarity factors in but when I watch clips of coverage from the motherland (England), I find myself preferring Diffey, Hobbs, Machett, and Buxton.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
There are some odd rumours flying about with regards to the potential sale of F1 again and Bernie was being his usual cryptic and deflecting self. It may happen as early as tomorrow, or it might not happen at all. Lots of speculation and nothing firm, but that was what seemed to have Martin a bit jumpy.

Thanks. I only found a tiny clip on Youtube that didn't show the full pre-race interview with him, but showed stuff after the race with Bernie. It would appear that Martin is a bit of a Bernie fan, which would explain it, as you indicate. He said something to the effect, after Bernie was gone, during the post race, that it could be the end of Bernie, and to be careful what one wishes for, because one just might get it.

whip: I know this must be terribly hard on Bernie. He's only 85, and could have been on the cusp of unemployment, and I know he's living paycheque to paycheque, with a net worth of only a few billion dollars. It must be really difficult.

In all seriousness, Bernie said they're keeping him for another three years. You have to give the man credit. Whatever he does in life, he acts as if he's never going to die. The trust funds he set up for his wife, ex-wives, and children seem to be more geared to keeping them out of his hair than they are to plan for his eventual demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back