Walmart installation (experiences)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After find the price about $150 less ($700 Pirelli scorpion all season plus( 255 55 18 ) I ordered tires thru Walmart.com.

Installation is $48, what are folks experiences with Walmart installation?

Not good. The plastic wheel covers were jammed against the air valve stems to the point where they were crooked. They tested all the tires for leaks so they reinstalled them. The first guy, younger flew through the process. While the second older guy took his time and did it right. Kind of a lesson there. It depends on who you get. I ordered the tires via DTD before they built a nearby store. This was a few years ago. The first time I went it was in the middle of the afternoon and it was very slow so now reason to rush.

I was sorely tempted to buy some Cooper CS5 Ultras from WM, but did not trust their installers enough to actually do it. The logistics to take the tires elsewhere would have been difficult (still had my old AS tires on wheels, snow tires on their own wheels were still on my car).
I am also curious to hear what people have to say about WM installation for future reference...they have some really good tires at great prices now.

Our Walmart installations have gone fine. Four different vehicles since 1998 have used Walmart services for tires. All were older cars so I am not overly particular about the wheels. Most recent installs were within past three months (2000 Durango & 95 F350). Have used stores in SE Kansas and KCK with no issues. Same for battery installs. Slow times seem to allow for a better job.

There are some Walmarts in this area that I would not let them touch my vehicle. Fortunately, I have a pretty good one nearest me.

Our WM is ok - some of the same folks have worked those bays a long time. I do get a so-so install at DT once in a while and then take it into our Goodyear where they are good with a balance machine... (Also low turn over in shop staff)

Don't know how you can make generalizations/recommendations (good or bad) when it comes to Walmart tire installs. If all boils down to the technicians and the level of competency and what kind of facility the Department Manager has at each location. And how many locations does Walmart have? Maybe the best thing to do is to stop by and chat with all those in that department right before your possible tire purchases- and get a "feel" for things the best you can.

I have used Wal-mart to install tires I bought from the TireRack a few times and have had no issues. On the other hand, I had a missing center cap from getting a set of tires at Discount Tire.
Discount Tire installers always look overworked, while there sells reps are not. The counter person at the Wal-Mart Tire & lube looks over worked while there installers aren't. I chalk it up to the person(s) doing the install.
I live near a Wal-Mart surrounded in a nice area while the Discount Tire that messed up is in a decaying part of town.

Got four tires mounted on my sister's hyundai.

Next morning, one was flat, and wouldn't hold air.

They made right.

Were cheezy douglas tires, so could have been "infant mortality."

The balance and lug torque were fine.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Don't know how you can make generalizations/recommendations (good or bad) when it comes to Walmart tire installs. If all boils down to the technicians and the level of competency and what kind of facility the Department Manager has at each location. And how many locations does Walmart have? Maybe the best thing to do is to stop by and chat with all those in that department right before your possible tire purchases- and get a "feel" for things the best you can.

True, but people do that for quick lube places all the time.

The "framework" under which you will get your tires installed is not conducive for a job well done. A large company, known for aggressive cost reduction goals, is probably placing cost reduction criteria on local managers who then trickle that down to the floor workers.

The box store I get my tires has 'the same manager' year after year and they have 1 tire guy who you can talk to and who writes up the order. Any issues and they come out and talk to you; they don't pencil whip the job and send you driving away clueless. Not saying this is what always happens at WM, the likelihood is much higher

Last edited:
Totally a store to store thing. The store near me did a great job for a while. But the person who was the primary tire guy left. They paid s__t and the final straw was cutting his hours just right below full time.

I watch the others now and have to "train" them on things I see them do wrong. But still easy to do if you get there early and have done it yourself before.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: CKN

True, but people do that for quick lube places all the time.

The "framework" under which you will get your tires installed is not conducive for a job well done. A large company, known for aggressive cost reduction goals, is probably placing cost reduction criteria on local managers who then trickle that down to the floor workers.

The box store I get my tires has 'the same manager' year after year and they have 1 tire guy who you can talk to and who writes up the order. Any issues and they come out and talk to you; they don't pencil whip the job and send you driving away clueless. Not saying this is what always happens at WM, the likelihood is much higher

All "quick lube places stink" is a BITOGism. And shouldn't be believed. Along the lines of ALL Chinese tires and Subarus are bad and all car dealers are crooked.....same deal!

On another thread today-there was a poster who said ALL AUTOLITE spark plugs are garbage. One can get a slanted view here if one doesn't know better! It took me a real brief amount of time to figure out agendas on here.

Last edited:
I've had about 6 sets of tires installed at Wal-Mart. Never a problem. Had some tires installed last week on my truck. They were professional, in and out quick. Their tire prices are competitive and often $100-$150 cheaper than the other guys on certain sizes/brands. Like any Wal-Mart, your experience will vary greatly store to store. Some managers run a professional operation, some dont.

The install is $12 per tire which is $3 for a valve stem (older car without TPMS) plus $9 for lifetime balance install per tire. The $48 install fee comes with lifetime free balancing/rotation, so that's a pretty good value.

Most of it will depend on the person doing the work and you have no control on that.

I've had what seems to be some good installs and once I had stripped lug nuts. When I complained about the lug nuts they told me they did not stock replacement lug nuts. A tire store with no lug nuts?

Some of the locations have a shop floor were you can watch see the work being done if you wish. Others do not. On balance I would guess a smaller community location might have better service than a large city location.

Last edited:
Bought a set of General Altimax RT43s at WM a month or so ago. Had to go to Tire Barn to get them balanced properly after WM failed twice.

I'd say most of the wal mart techs are about what you would expect, low paid, poorly trained, not motivated, entry level workers. There are some that have a lot of talent but they don't usually last too long before finding better jobs. I did 7 years there as a manager and really enjoyed it, other than the pay. If you came to MY shop you got exactly what your car needed and rarely any tire installation problems. We had people bringing us carry in ferarri wheels.

I would say balance is where you find the most problems with wal-mart. They do not care if the machine is older, the techs likely do not know how to calibrate it, or even use the correct mounting assembly to get that balance spot on.

Lots of tire techs have little pride in the quality of balancing tires.

Same goes for a shop with Hunter alignment rack... the tech has zero care to do a quality job.

Like others have said, it depends on the individual store. My local WM TLE is one of the better ones.

I like that Walmart uses the proper torque and not overtightening it with an air gun.

The individual store matters some, some management teams actually care about the TLE operations, while most managers wish it would go away and don't know much about it. Once you find a store that cares about its TLE, then you observe their techs and see if you want to take a chance on them. Start small with old things they cannot possibly destroy.

As someone noted upthread, the install depends upon the knowledge, skill and experience of the tech, just as it does at Costco, Discount Tire or anywhere else.
I've had one set of tires mounted at Walmart, Pure Contacts bought online from somewhere.
They did a fine job and I had no problems with the work they did.
We all sometimes stigmatize Walmart for their selection of cheap Chinese merchandise and their overpriced grocery items, but we all love Walmart for the things it does well.
Oil for those who can't seem to plan a few weeks ahead for a drain?
Walmart is your friend.
Walmart TLE?
Good deals on oil changes with none of the quicky lube nonsense as well as good prices on tires and for mounting those bought elsewhere.
OTOH, I had four tires mounted and balance today for twenty bucks total, but that was just a lucky thing involving my job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back