VW multipurpose fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I came to buy it:

The intake manifold went out on my GTI at 83K. I checked with the dealer, its not covered under a warranty extension as some previous years are.
The dealer said parts and labor cost $900 which includes cleaning the intake valves. I'm a former Honda mechanic and now UPS semi mech, so I feel confident I can fix this myself. I bought the new intake manifold, injector repair kits and a bottle of fuel additive for $196 out the door. It will suck to be me this Saturday. The parts guy said VW requires them to use the fuel additive anytime they replace the intake.

The bottle cost $14.80, is 200ml and covers 15.5 gallons. The additive is clear and here is the ingredient list:

Oxirane, ethyl-, homopolymer, 2-aminobutyl ether, ether with mixed distin. Residue low boiling point naphtha - unspecified, 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene

Originally Posted By: double vanos

Good luck and let us know how it goes please....

Yes good luck. Pics would be nice......

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The parts guy said VW requires them to use the fuel additive anytime they replace the intake.
The bottle cost $14.80, is 200ml

No way a fuel additive is needed on a brand new manifold and injector kits. Nothing to clean really. They're new. And plain old gasoline running through them gives plenty of running lubricity from the get-go, so thats not an issue.
Just a way for VW Parts Dept. to sell STP Fuel Treatment-equivalent for 5 times the price. Parts guys will say anything.

The part number is G-001-780-M3
I'm kinda interested if this fuel additive is a diamond in the rough.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
How does an intake manifold go bad? Cracked? Well, at any rate you should be able to do the job via Google and YouTube.
Good luck and let us know how it goes please....

The VW TSI manifold is plastic and has butterfly tumble flaps. The arm linking them can fail causing a vacuum leak, the solenoid can go out or the sensor on it can fail.
The manifold must be replaced if anything gives out as no parts are sold individual. Surprisingly, the manifold itself doesn't cost an arm and a leg being it's a German car. It was $136 by itself. The design of the manifold is in part which
allows the engine powering my car to have a lot of drivability. The engine puts out 100% of it's torque at 1700 RPM's and maintains it to 5000 RPM's.

I will gets pics of the intake valves before I clean them.

Unlike most fuel additives containing kerosene, this is crystal clear and isn't watery thin.

A brand new manifold to replace one that fails needs a fuel additive, on a 3 year old car none the less.

David Hannum was certainly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back