I love how people can't afford an oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna lie, my local GMC dealership has a $39 oil change with AC Delco Dexos 1 oil, delco filter, tire rotation and they also vacuum the inside and wash the outside. I do all my own oil changes but while it is under warranty I think it is a pretty decent deal for a dealership.

My daughter came to visit with her two small children for a weekend and she told me the oil light on her 2008 Chevy Trailblazer was on. I checked the oil level and came up with a dry dipstick. I had some oil laying around my garage so I decided that some oil, even of a mixed breed, was better than no oil at all. I added four quarts and finally got a black crud to register on the dipstick. It took me about a month of questions over the phone to finally get her to take it to an oil change place and have it done. Her husband is a car guy, but he really doesn't give a hoot about anything that isn't a 60s MOPAR.

My other story was with a brand new 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6. The dealer did the first oil change and used dino oil. I decided that I wanted to go with full synth, so I took it to a local Firestone shop. The manager there said he couldn't change the oil because the manufacturer required that only Nissan oil should be used. He even showed me the passage in the manual on his computer that said that the car should only use oil that was approved by Nissan and met their standards. When I pointed that out to him he said that he wouldn't be responsible for my new car blowing up. What a douche! Trying to intimidate the ignorant owner with some bull while not understanding what he's talking about. Needless to say I have never gone back to that Firestone store again regardless of the fact that it is quite near my home.

I bought a 2009 Corvette a year ago April and have changed the oil twice since. I was amazed to see that the oil fill cap actually had a Mobil 1 emblem on it in full color. I presume that Chevrolet, regardless of their AC Delco Dexos 1 oil, recommends Mobil 1 for the LS3 engine in the Corvette, or am I looking at an aftermarket oil fill cap installed by the P.O.?

Originally Posted By: RagTop69
I bought a 2009 Corvette a year ago April and have changed the oil twice since. I was amazed to see that the oil fill cap actually had a Mobil 1 emblem on it in full color. I presume that Chevrolet, regardless of their AC Delco Dexos 1 oil, recommends Mobil 1 for the LS3 engine in the Corvette, or am I looking at an aftermarket oil fill cap installed by the P.O.?

I'm far from a Corvette expert, but helped a friend change the oil in one about the same age as yours a couple of times. His also had a Mobil 1 cap, and from photos I've seen I think that all the recent ones do.

Dry sump changes are always fun, and the Corvette holds a LOT of oil.

I've had oil change places bring my K&N air filter in to demonstrate that it needs changing with one of their paper filters because they don't know that it's a washable filter and they routinely sell the housewives and accountants that they normally deal with a new air filter as an add on sale. That's why people are suspicious of oil changers.

Fortunately mine is a regular wet sump LS3 engine and only requires 6 qts. I understand the dry sump cars require 7+ quarts for the LS3 in the Grand Sport and who knows for the LS7 in the Z06. I had an LS1 powered Camaro for years and it was a 5 1/2 qt. change with filter. That stupid 1/2 qt. always put you at risk of an over fill or you had to run a half quart down until you could add a full quart replacement. I actually switched to a taller filter to avoid the evil 1/2 qt. issue. The AC Delco PF61 was taller than the recommended filter but had the same dimensions on the filter flange and it took about twice as much oil as the recommended filter.

Fortunately mine is a regular wet sump LS3 engine and only requires 6 qts. I understand the dry sump cars require 7+ quarts for the LS3 in the Grand Sport and who knows for the LS7 in the Z06. I had an LS1 powered Camaro for years and it was a 5 1/2 qt. change with filter. That stupid 1/2 qt. always put you at risk of an over fill or you had to run a half quart down until you could add a full quart replacement. I actually switched to a taller filter to avoid the evil 1/2 qt. issue. The AC Delco PF61 was taller than the recommended filter but had the same dimensions on the filter flange and it took about twice as much oil as the recommended filter.

My daily driver specs 6 1/2 quarts also.

I usually fill with 5, and periodically check with the dipstick where I am while I add the rest. Depending on how long I let it drain, it will sometimes take as little as 5 3/4 quarts and as much as 7 quarts.

After getting oil on the hash marks, I usually start the engine, let it run for a minute or two, then wait 10 minutes and check again. I often have to add another half quart or so-I don't pre-fill the filter since it's sideways and makes a mess if I try to do so. That accounts for the extra quart needed after a fill.

BTW, I shoot for the middle of the hash marks. Most cars I've dealt with are about a quart between "empty" and "full" but for whatever reason my main car is only about half a quart between the two. That means that when I'm adding oil, I make sure I give it enough time to drain into the sump. It's VERY easy to overshoot the "full" mark. I check my oil at every fill-up, and usually don't bother adding oil until it sits right on the "add" line for this very reason.

No this is factory. The C5s on up used Mobil 1 and the caps were branded as much. Dexos didn't come into widespread GM use until around 2011. I am not sure what the current corvettes take.

But they can afford a smart phone, smokes, a 5 dollar cup of coffee every morning, lunch out daily, the new car and drinks at the night club etc.

Originally Posted By: CT8
But they can afford a smart phone, smokes, a 5 dollar cup of coffee every morning, lunch out daily, the new car and drinks at the night club etc.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
Nailed it!

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: CT8

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
Nailed it!
I could start up about college students unable to afford the loans they took out. Going to College you would think them smarter.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I can't tell you how many times people come in for an oil change and buy a cheap oil change for $16.99 and their car requires a synthetic oil or a special oil and throw a huge fit over the price. I work in Overland Park, KS in the high end neighborhood and ppl bring in the nice new Hondas and Toyota's ect. Most new cars require 0w20 syn and they want the "cheap" oil change. If you ppl can afford a brand new car u should be able to afford the oil for it.

For example today we had a VW jetta come in and she had bought a $16.99 groupon oil change but her car req a syn 5w40 or 5w30 VW approved syn oil. Car also took 6.3Q of oil and a $12.99 oil filter. She pulled out the manual tht said the same thing we told her and she threw a fit and drove off.

Well you are talking about Johnson County..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back