rearview mirror conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knew that a rearview mirror would be such a hassle. Long story short, I was loading up some 2X4's recently and one hit the rear view mirror breaking the glass in multiple places. Well bummer but no big deal, I'll just grab a cheap replacement. Apparently Toyota had other ideas and unless I want to go thru the dealer to spend almost $100 bucks, I'm having trouble finding a replacement. Now the little disk that is epoxied to the glass is still there but it's not a simple slip on or screw on type, it has some special "nubbin" that drops in and out. SO, I am here looking for assistance on either finding a cheap replacement that will plug and play OR, assistance on removing the little tab thats epoxied to the glass so I can then use a $10 replacement.

This is a 2001 Sequoia Limited FYI. As always thanks in advance for the assistance!

Once you have the new (cheaper) one in hand - you could try working some pressure on the old one to get the tab off
(wear gloves, avoid glass) ...
Might be better first attempt than getting tools around your windshield if you don't have to ...

when you say to work some pressure on the old one, are you referring to just pliers and trying to twist it off? Would using a heat gun or hair dryer help to loosen up the adhesive? I have no idea what type of adhesive is used on the rearview mirrors. Thanks for the quick reply!

Just using the back of mirror as a handle if you are only going to toss it anyway ...

I already have the mirror off, it's the little disk thats attached to the glass thats the issues. Thank you

Just use a little heat on the metal tab that attaches to the windshield. You don't need to heat the glass, just get the tab hot enough to release the adhesive. A small butane torch will work just fine and help concentrate the heat where you need it. Make sure you protect the headliner from the heat if it's close.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Pay the money at the dealer... Let them break the glass on their dime.

For those of you who are so helpless that you can't do something that simple yourself then the dealer might be a good idea. But for most of us who have at least a minimal amount of skill, it's such a simple little job that paying the dealer to do it would be a waste of money, time, and be downright foolish.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Spend the cash for the dealer one.it will slip right on.the cheap one is more hassle than it's worth and most likely won't stay put

Totally agree, work a few hours of overtime if you need to for the money. Just log it into life's little lessons journal. Just be glad you do not have an entry into life's big lesson journal.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Spend the cash for the dealer one.it will slip right on.the cheap one is more hassle than it's worth and most likely won't stay put

Totally agree, work a few hours of overtime if you need to for the money. Just log it into life's little lessons journal. Just be glad you do not have an entry into life's big lesson journal.

As I would, if I tried using a torch anywhere near the headliner of my car.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Pay the money at the dealer... Let them break the glass on their dime.

For those of you who are so helpless that you can't do something that simple yourself then the dealer might be a good idea. But for most of us who have at least a minimal amount of skill, it's such a simple little job that paying the dealer to do it would be a waste of money, time, and be downright foolish.

Should send you over into the rustproofing DIY thread.

Just to clarify, the dealer will charge me an hours worth of labor and the price for the part if I have them do it. The part alone was even more than I thought at $114 bucks. lol I'm not gonna pay 150-175 bucks for them to replace a rear view mirror! Even if I break the windshield thats only 200 and I already have a small crack in it. This can't be that hard to get a rear view mirror button off.....

What does the surface of the existing tab look like? How about gluing the new mounting pad right on top of the old one? If you buy a universal replacement mirror it will come with the mounting tab.

Does your insurance have full glass coverage? It might be time to replace that cracked windshield.

Alternatively, a rearview mirror seems like the perfect salvage item. There are many dozens of them on eBay.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Alternatively, a rearview mirror seems like the perfect salvage item. There are many dozens of them on eBay.

Your local wrecking yard should be full of old Toyotas. It's probably a $10 or $15 part.

I would also suggest getting a used genuine Toyota one online or looking at an online Toyota parts dealer. Since it's small, shipping shouldn't be too much from an online Toyota dealer.

EDIT - looks like there are used ones on ebay for around $60 shipped.

+1 for the junkyard. If you have a pick it yourself place around, you can practice removing it from the donor vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back