AMSOIL Synthetic Firearm Lubricant and Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I will order each next week and give it an honest shot.

thumbsup2.gif

The biggest problem I see with any or all of the Amsoil products, is the difficulty in obtaining them. Most people are not going to go way out of their way to order oil products for their car or gun. If they can't buy it at Wal-Mart or their local gun shop, it's not going to get bought. I live in the Phoenix Metro Area, and I have not seen an Amsoil product anywhere. Their products may very well be the best obtainable for a given purpose. But if they're not readily available, they're not going to get bought by most.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The biggest problem I see with any or all of the Amsoil products, is the difficulty in obtaining them. Most people are not going to go way out of their way to order oil products for their car or gun. If they can't buy it at Wal-Mart or their local gun shop, it's not going to get bought. I live in the Phoenix Metro Area, and I have not seen an Amsoil product anywhere. Their products may very well be the best obtainable for a given purpose. But if they're not readily available, they're not going to get bought by most.

And therin lies the rub. They have a 1950's distribution model, in a 2016 market. As someone that studies business models and business in general, they are OUT OF THEIR FREAKING MIND selling their merchandise as they do. Innovate, adapt, learn, or go the way of Circuit City.

Maybe they are just happy being a small obscure lubricant manufacture. They COULD be on the shelves of every auto parts store in the country if they wanted the success, but they dont.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

And therin lies the rub. They have a 1950's distribution model, in a 2016 market. As someone that studies business models and business in general, they are OUT OF THEIR FREAKING MIND selling their merchandise as they do. Innovate, adapt, learn, or go the way of Circuit City.

Maybe they are just happy being a small obscure lubricant manufacture. They COULD be on the shelves of every auto parts store in the country if they wanted the success, but they dont.

I concur. My wife sells Mary Kay, the women's equivalent of Amsoil. Good products, pretty good values actually (I wish amsoil was cheaper) but a very limited distribution model. I think they enjoy the "exclusiveness" (is that even a word?) of the whole process and business model.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Huh? The internet didn't exist in the 1950's. A product needs to be on the shelve of a store or they are out of "their freaking mind"? "Not going to get bought"? Maybe give Amazon or Ebay a call. Other than some non gun related lubricants used for guns from True Value, Ace and such, I've bought all my gun lubes on line. 95% of my sales are on line and growing, and I do a decent amount from my shop, but it's very inefficient. Storing product on display shelves doesn't add value, contrary to popular belief. Shipping from regional warehouses is where it's at. Less stock, faster, fresher product. JIT. Most orders delivered the next day, two - three days max. Amsoil products are very available. Thanks!

I gotta agree with Pablo on this one.

Store fronts cost money, Rent, keeping those shelves full and a knowledgeable staff is a HUGE cost.
Then there is maintaining the warehouses between the storefront and the manufacturer.
All that gets added to the bottom line.

Or you have the internet.
The great thing for the consumer is that you lower the cost of the goods by eliminating several steps.
Although you have to figure out shipping.

My family learned to live off of the internet before that was thought of.
Think mid 90's.
How many stores are open 24/7 ?
After hours is a great time to buy stuff online.

My father thought it was great fun at the time helping my mom find the most inexpensive vendor for an item, shipping included.
With a bunch of kids, and after school activities, shopping late at night gets even more appealing.

Oh, and I too probably have a Gallon of miscellaneous gun oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I gotta agree with Pablo on this one.
I also agree. Though it is very easy to run to WM and pick up oil (gun, motor, or otherwise), it is also equally as easy to order it online and have it show up at the door.

95% of people are not going to order motor oil on line. It's a bulky, heavy item. If Amsoil was stocked at Wal-Mart, and most of the other chain auto parts stores, your sales would sky rocket. Even Lucas products are available over the counter. I'm a perfect example. I've been changing my own motor oil for the last 45 years. If your product was available, I'd try it. It isn't so I won't. End of story.

95% of people are not going to order motor oil on line. It's a bulky, heavy item. If Amsoil was stocked at Wal-Mart, and most of the other chain auto parts stores, your sales would sky rocket. Even Lucas products are available over the counter. I'm a perfect example. I've been changing my own motor oil for the last 45 years. If your product was available, I'd try it. It isn't so I won't. End of story.

Because people don't order cat litter, liquid laundry and DW detergent, bamboo fencing, cast iron truck parts and steel gears, AMMO and lead and lead bullets online either - wait they do. Amsoil charges around $10 for shipping a 25 pound case of oil. And most people I know will not set foot in Wal-Mart. Anyway, yes there are a few people who don't use the internet for shopping, Amsoil realizes this and has paper catalogs and a phone #, or better yet local dealers. Amsoil is perfectly available.

But please this is the firearms lube section.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil charges around $10 for shipping a 25 pound case of oil.

Yet another reason I won't buy it. I can change 7 quarts of oil and a filter on my new HEMI Jeep Grand Cherokee, using Pennzoil Full Synthetic for around $33.00. And my wife picks it up while she shops for other things. That's 7 quarts of the oil that meets Chrysler Spec MS-6395, and a new oil filter of my choice of 4 different brands. Why would I screw around ordering, paying shipping, and waiting? I, like most, won't. You need to get your products out where people can simply put them in their carts. You're only hurting yourselves by not doing it. I order many products on line. A gallon and a half of motor oil every few months isn't one of them.

Back to the gun lubes, cleaners, & maintenance discussion....

Pablo - I've never ordered Amsoil before, but since I order many of my shooting supplies on line (including ammo, cleaners, scopes, accessories and even firearms) I am signing up as an Amsoil preferred and will be placing an order to try out the new lube and cleaner.

And I have ordered oil on line before. Do it all the time. Mobil 3309 delivered to my door saves me a trip to the Toyota dealer for Type -IV. Pennzoil ultra euro for the Volvo is easier to find on line, often cheaper. Even at the same price, having it delivered to my door saves me an hour of driving to get it and the cost of those miles. And I go through quite a bit of Pentosin CHF-11s hydraulic oil for the Mercedes. On line is the only way to buy that - cheaper and saves me driving.

Last edited:
Pablo and Bilt are debating about nothing. You are both right and both have valid points. It is a matter of opinion and personal preference whether or not ordering any type of product is worth it.

It is clear that Amsoil is not out to concur the world and have their products in every shelf of every retail store that sells oil world wide, that is their choice.

Back to the topic at hand, people will order the Amsoil gun oil (or any of their products for that matter) if they believe it is worth ordering. Time will tell if many people believe that is the case or not. In the case of gun oils, free or very inexpensive samples would be a great way to spark interest or get people to try it. I learned of my favorite gun care product (Corrosion X) because I had heard good things about it and it was in stock locally. I don't think I would have ever bothered if I was forced to order it. Frog lube, Weaponshield, Fluid film, Super lube and many others have sent me free samples over the years. I gave them all a fair shake, some I continue to buy, others not. Either way it was a very nice gesture and showed a very admirable business attitude.

Haven't tried it yet but threw in an Amazon order a couples extras, G96 Gun Treatment and M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner. A 32oz bottle of each. Just received today. Will probably use for other misc. parts since lately my main use items have been Weapon Shield for oil (comparing to Slip 2000 EWL), and Bore Tech Eliminator (for cleaning).

MEH is used to describe any and every word possible, including: Yes No maybe kind of never always ok alright no thankyou yes please look [censored] i really dont ...

Well I ordered a case of each on Thursday (why did I wait!?!?) - and they told me: SOLD OUT!! Truck inbound for Tuesday arrival. I should have it Wed PM. I should take Thursday off to go plinking!

Wow! Just discovered this. Interesting.

I'd be tempted to try the Amsoil product but I'm a big fan of Slip 2000. This primarily due to the U.S. Marines selecting Slip 2000 after a year of testing, evaluations, and usage. Slip 2000 also meets MIL-PRF 63460E.

If Amsoil can effectively show that its on par with Slip 2000 and can meet or exceed the Mil-spec, I'd be on board for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back