EPA Phase 2 might mean PC-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new CK-4 oils aren't even on the market yet (at least not officially) and already the EPA phase 2 program is expected to push yet another HDDEO upgrade:

Link from Lube Report:

Originally Posted By: Lube Report

The lubricants industry is closely evaluating the likely impact for engine oils, transmission and transaxle lubricants, but some already foresee the Phase 2 standards touching off an immediate push to upgrade heavy-duty engine oils – despite the fact that the newest HDEO category, API CK-4 and FA-4, already is teed up for a Dec. 1 launch.

The new oil categories took over five years to develop, beginning in June 2011, when the Engine and Truck Manufacturers Association requested the upgrade from the American Petroleum Institute. If further advances are required by the 2021 model year, there’s only a scant five-year window to develop and implement the subsequent upgrade, sources involved in creating API CK-4 reminded Lube Report.

Some predict the next category proposal may include a test for abrasive wear, such as the Detroit Diesel DD-13 test which was not included in CK-4. The OEM liaison for a major oil company, speaking not for attribution, thinks diesel manufacturers may take the opportunity to develop a fired engine test to measure the oil’s contribution to fuel economy, as seen with light-duty engine oil categories.

I know the new DD-13 test here is part of their OEM specs - and apparently pretty tough to pass. So if this happens by 2021 we could be on CL-4 which would basically be CK-4 + DDC93K222 + a new Fuel economy test... interesting...

Although I know the addco's / oil companies aren't going to want to pony up for another couple of million in development costs - they just barely got going on CK-4.

I would expect that the oil/additive companies have kept their "foot to the floor" in continuing development for that next phase even as they were finding success in their CK-4 formulas. Am I way off base there?

Seems like they should be well on their way to the next level. Unless of course they have to wait for next generation engines to continue testing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Car hating bureaucrats meddling in engine lubrication issues.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep, you have a group of radical Neo-Luddites heading up the EPA.

Quote:
More recently, the term Neo-Luddism has emerged to describe opposition to many forms of technology.[27] According to a manifesto drawn up by the Second Luddite Congress (April 1996; Barnesville, Ohio), Neo-Luddism is "a leaderless movement of passive resistance to consumerism and the increasingly bizarre and frightening technologies of the Computer Age."

wiki

Believe me, this group is not passive.

Stick it up your tailpipe:

vehicles.png

The EPA is the only reason we have air as clean as we do, currently. Move to India/China if you want to enjoy the unfettered, unfiltered, and unregulated burn of breathing air.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

vehicles.png

The EPA is the only reason we have air as clean as we do, currently. Move to India/China if you want to enjoy the unfettered, unfiltered, and unregulated burn of breathing air.

+1

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Car hating bureaucrats meddling in engine lubrication issues.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep, you have a group of radical Neo-Luddites heading up the EPA.

Quote:
More recently, the term Neo-Luddism has emerged to describe opposition to many forms of technology.[27] According to a manifesto drawn up by the Second Luddite Congress (April 1996; Barnesville, Ohio), Neo-Luddism is "a leaderless movement of passive resistance to consumerism and the increasingly bizarre and frightening technologies of the Computer Age."

wiki

Believe me, this group is not passive.
The EPA did a GREAT job with permitting MBTE in gas, which rendered a lot of domestic water wells useless when the gas station tanks containing it leaked into the ground water. Smart. There are STILL filter systems running around here at the sites of old gas stations. Using unattributed wiki babble as a "source" is the act of a fool.

Last edited:

vehicles.png

I see the local commies have chimed in....as if since you live in fruit & nutville you are an expert......Yeah, Los Angeles has clean air....you can see it every day....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

vehicles.png

+1

yeah like Spain has the EPA......
lol.gif
lol.gif
The per capita GDP of Spain is $29,000 vs the US of $57,000....if you even lived in an industrialized country you might have an opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back