Underbody Rust Proofing DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 16 Silverado. Would like to do some rust proofing myself. Any recommendations out there? I have looked for a good DIY video on youtube but no luck.

I'd do a search--it comes up periodically. Go to google and type in "site:bobistheoilguy.com rustproofing" or any variation you can think of on the last word. A number of threads should come up.

[Not flaming you, just pointing out how I search the site for stuff like this.]

Personally, I use Fluid Film, bought the whole kit; but I've got cheaper vehicles than a '16 Silverado--if I bought one, I'd probably move up a step in product quality (and cost).

This video will give you a pretty good idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNP4INYEMI I shot the bottom with an airless sprayer after getting into all the cavities, etc. with my rustproofing gun.

This is the product I used: https://www.theruststore.com/Cortec-VpCI-368-P82C28.aspx It's not cheap, but it is very good and very long lasting. Check into the specs the product meets.

Fluid Film has a good following, a lot less $$. I wanted something longer lasting and more durable.

There are lots of threads on it here. Good luck with your new ride!!!!

Why do you go out and buy a NEW Truck for all intents and purposes, then wish to do a rustproofing job yourself not having any knowledge other than to spray the under body.

Good Grief man I have mine done by a pro every 18 months for approx #$100.00, and they know all the nooks and crannies to pay attention to, just don't even look at Zeibart!

I have an 8 year old car that has not one spec of rust on it, the same with my 11 year daily driver, and I live in the rust belt!

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Why do you go out and buy a NEW Truck for all intents and purposes, then wish to do a rustproofing job yourself not having any knowledge other than to spray the under body.

Same could be said for anyone wanting to change their oil yet doesn't have a degree in mechanics nor automotive engineering.

One has to start someplace.

Yearly application of Fluid Film works for the Tacoma crowd.

The only thing is your brand new truck now smells like Fluid Film.

I would think that giving the underside a pressure wash at a bay every week would work even better. Storing in a garage would also help.

Originally Posted By: supton

Same could be said for anyone wanting to change their oil yet doesn't have a degree in mechanics nor automotive engineering.

Whole different deal about unscrewing a plug and filter aand draining the oil then replacing plig and filter with a new filter than rustproofing a vehicle. To think otherwise is nothing short of foolish. Why do you think professional rustproofing dealers need to attend classes to know what they're doing.

But you may think as you wish! Being as all vehicles have a floor pan.

Good Grief man I have mine done by a pro every 18 months for approx #$100.00, and they know all the nooks and crannies to pay attention to, just don't even look at Zeibart!

I have an 8 year old car that has not one spec of rust on it, the same with my 11 year daily driver, and I live in the rust belt!

And then there are those of us who can do a better job themselves, or don't have a shop anywhere near them that does rustproofing.

Whole different deal about unscrewing a plug and filter aand draining the oil then replacing plig and filter with a new filter than rustproofing a vehicle. To think otherwise is nothing short of foolish. Why do you think professional rustproofing dealers need to attend classes to know what they're doing.

Shall we count the number of threads about "what oil should I run? what filter shall I use?"

Last I knew, engines (and transmissions!) were very expensive. Why are you suggesting that someone who doesn't know anything about additive packs be foolish enough to pick a motor oil? Shouldn't we advise them to just go to a dealer? After all, their techs have to go school, and then continue to get education on mechanics.

Shall we count the number of threads about "what oil should I run? what filter shall I use?"

Last I knew, engines (and transmissions!) were very expensive. Why are you suggesting that someone who doesn't know anything about additive packs be foolish enough to pick a motor oil? Shouldn't we advise them to just go to a dealer? After all, their techs have to go school, and then continue to get education on mechanics.

Being an auto tech is a whole lot different than being the grease monkey who changes oil at any dealership!

In today's world picking quality oil is little more than buying a name brand.

Now where near the same as just spraying underside of a vehicle, but hey, it's your new truck, not mine.

What I find funny is there are many techs who are complete hacks. We read tons of stories here about them messing up oil changes, over tightening lug nuts, you name it. What makes a guy shooting rustproofing any different? Don't get me wrong there are plenty of guys that do a bang up job. I had Ziebart shoot my van close to 30 years ago, there isn't a bit of rust on it anywhere. Yet I've read about how bad Ziebart was/is, not in my case. I've seen cars professionally shot with rustproofing with large areas missed, over spray all over the car and the glass, some on the seats, etc., and they rotted through. Bottom line is the job is only as good as the guy who applies it. Many of us are capable of doing a better job, and use better materials.

OP, it's not rocket science. There are some videos on how to do it, watch them, read up and ask questions. I was concerned with over spray. I got some wreck wrap and some drop cloths and had no problems at all.

Much of the time someone who never did the job will do it more thoroughly than a bored "pro". As DP said its not rocket science.

Now where near the same as just spraying underside of a vehicle, but hey, it's your new truck, not mine.

???

I've never bought a new truck.

But whatever. Clearly we don't see eye to eye on this.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

And then there are those of us who can do a better job themselves, or don't have a shop anywhere near them that does rustproofing.

Doesn't mean every ding dong out there knows what they're doing!

I know how to tear an engine down and rebuild it, doesn't mean my neighbor knows how!

Rebuilding an engine isn't comparable to spraying snot out of a undercoating gun, a retarded monkey could do a perfectly fine job.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Doesn't mean every ding dong out there knows what they're doing!

I know how to tear an engine down and rebuild it, doesn't mean my neighbor knows how!

I never said every ding dong knows what they're doing. That's why we hear about oil changes a simple task being screwed up by so called pros! There are good and bad mechanics in all walks of life. Rustproofing a car is not rebuilding an engine. Anyone mechanically inclined,who is physically able, and has the desire to do it, can. If you don't know how to do it you ask. To make is sound like an impossible task for only a professional is wrong.

As mentioned before, it's not rocket science. My advice is to remove any plastic liners you can and spray all the cavities first. Then move to spraying the whole underbody. This way you won't have rustproofing dripping on you as much.

Also, in high wash areas I find regular rustproofing like Fluid Film, Krown or Rustcheck to wash off quite fast, especially from brand new, uncoated components. I noticed that white lithium grease in a can resists the wash off extremely well. I tried it first on my Mazda's AT pan that was showing few rust spots that I could not stop from re-appearing. I treated the whole pan and the attaching bolts with white grease last year, and it is still the same this year.
It was an eureka moment for me. So my 15 Grand caravan will get all the suspension components and oil/AT pans treated with white grease first, and then go for a spray of Krown.

The shop typically has more experience with various vehicles and where the body cavities are that need spraying. They also have long wands (2' maybe 3') to get into the body cavities.

I would look for CarWell or Krown and if neither then Fluid Film. Even if your plan is DIY get it done once for $100 and watch.

The shops also give new vehicle warranties.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Rebuilding an engine isn't comparable to spraying snot out of a undercoating gun, a retarded monkey could do a perfectly fine job.

Right you are, BUT is this so called retarded monkey able to know where to drill the holes for the enclosed panels and doors and able to get the hose around the corners on the rocker panels? It's not a case of just spraying snot all over the underbody.

Like I referred to earlier there is a whole lot different from changing the oil and filter and rustproofing a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back