Getting banned from Amazon for too many returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like getting thrown out of an all you can eat smorgasbord because you went back ten times to load up on shrimp.

My better half (her words, not mine) doesn't generally order from Amazon. But in aggregate, she returns way more than 10% of her orders. She admits that she orders them to try them on for size, if she doesn't like the way they fit or look back they go. So far, no pushback from any of the on-line companies where she has ordered.

Maybe (some) women's clothing stores build that into their model. IOW, they expect half of the items to come back on their dime, and they price accordingly.

what is the unofficial policy on "subscribe & save"? I don't keep any of them active once I receive the item. If I need it again, I re-subscribe. I wonder if that violates their unwritten rules?

By the way, the entire reason I purchase from Amazon vs anybody else (aka ebay) even if it costs me more money is the Amazon's return policy. Same with Costco. I don't think I abuse either of those return privileges.

Yes I have been warned for too many returns. When I am sent open items, dented oil filters, items not as described, they are going back. I told them to go ahead and ban me, and while they were at it they could refund me the money I paid for the Firestick that I bought at Best Buy that was still under warranty. Never did get a response, and that was over a year ago.

Clothing returns shouldn't be a problem. They even advertise that clothes and shoes sold by them have free returns.

And I bet as long as you pay the return shipping cost they won't care how much you return.

But a lot of people will claim something about a product in order to have Amazon foot the bill for return shipping. This is a no no.

I've been guilty of this in the past, although it was always borderline. I'd order something that didn't work for my case and I would select "item not as described" for the return. However I am probably on their good list based on how much I order from them so they may be more lenient.

But on my latest purchase I bought a PC case that I could have used but wanted something better so I did a return where I paid shipping back. The nice thing is you get their discounted rate for UPS so at least they make the return as simple as possible.

I only have returned damaged items and that's been 3 since Amazon was around. I buy several times weekly.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I only have returned damaged items and that's been 3 since Amazon was around. I buy several times weekly.

That's about my usage and return record. One time I got a cracked brake rotor. Neither I nor the guy on the phone could figure that one out.

I admit to returning a lot of stuff to Amazon, mostly things that didn't meet my expectations/clothes that don't fit perfectly.

I haven't been banned or warned, but I did receive an email from customer support asking whether my shopping experience has been positive with Amazon since I do return a lot of items.

Most of the items I've returned were not from Amazon but from marketplace vendors, so maybe that's why I haven't been banned.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It's like getting thrown out of an all you can eat smorgasbord because you went back ten times to load up on shrimp.

Not really...all you can eat is all you can eat...Amazon doesn't advertise endless returns...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Not really...all you can eat is all you can eat...Amazon doesn't advertise endless returns...

Better but not perfect) all you can eat analogy would be say they had muffins, and you just eat the muffin tops and throw the rest away. Then they throw you out for wasting food.

It's a mythical number of returns, not an absolute number.
Talk over on SD's AWD thread several months ago was about the declining quality and increasing price of Warehouse Deals, such that several people abandoned buying AWD so as to not risk a lifetime ban.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: grampi

Better but not perfect) all you can eat analogy would be say they had muffins, and you just eat the muffin tops and throw the rest away. Then they throw you out for wasting food.

My wife has given up buying clothes online...it's about a one in three chance that anything will actually fit. (It's about one thing in ten that is actually the wrong size.) Other than that, she and I have had very few returns...a calendar that was the wrong one (they said to just keep it and shipped the right one), a couple of books that were not as advertised (said to keep it & credited the account in all cases), a dehumidifier that didn't work properly (sent us a shipping label)...that's about it.

I've returned maybe 3 things in 10 years. One one of them, Amazon said just keep the old one (defective) and sent out a new replacement for free - it was something under $10 so I can see why Amazon chose to just eat that one. And the other one was a 2nd party seller who just refunded my money (again under $10) because I wasn't happy with the product - didn't work well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back