Can I use up Aviation/race gas in my Honda mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy, single, lots of toys,and a real sportsman....

Has some left over Aviation gas , 100LL if I recall as well as some race gas from his small block chevy dirt track sportsman car (souped up).

Will either damage my Honday GCV 160 lawn mower engine? I hear that AV gas is great for use in storing vehicles and equipent (which I find hard to beleive that it wouldnt totally throw codes on a modern fuel injected truck or car,
But I digress) . The race gas and any rumored pros or cons I know even less about.

The lead could foul your plugs.

I would still personally go for it if I had the opportunity. The exhaust will make you smile, and dumberer, too.

I know it's free gas and all, but since I go through maybe 5 gallons a year in my OPE, it's not free enough for me to stomach putting lead into the air (and the yard). For me anyhow. I know someone else will burn it etc, but I'd rather not.

Yes I know, it's not unicorn farts coming out of my OPE. I just dislike airborn lead. It's not good for anyone, less so for my kids (or anyone else's for the matter).

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I hear that AV gas is great for use in storing vehicles and equipent (which I find hard to beleive that it wouldnt totally throw codes on a modern fuel injected truck or car

I would not use in anything with a catalytic convertor. I know it won't immediately kill it, but lead doesn't go with cats. IIRC it plugs them up.

In my experience, you would be fine running a mix of 100LL in your OPE as long as it does not have a catalyst. I would not run straight avgas out of concern for lead fouling of the plug, and if you use synthetic oil in your OPE, some syns may not suspend lead. This was a problem with the early Mobil 1 aviation oil...but I cant see this being an issue w/ the amounts you'd run through a mower.

I have used my sump fuel in my OPE, tractor and small 1,800 watt generator (used for the aircraft pre-heater), without issue.

Even if it's fresh gas, why would you even attempt to create a problem? Then it would no longer be free gas.

In some mower manuals, unleaded gasoline is required even though there are no smog devices in the exhaust system.

For that reason, I would not use leaded fuel in a lawn mower.

I'm waiting for a certain poster to come in this thread and lecture us about global warming, while he pours oil all over his driveway...
whistle.gif

You can. Knew a pilot guy who ran it all the time, said it stayed fresh longer. I mowed his lawn with his ancient Honda mower once and it ran great. It may not be the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back