DELO 10w30 or MC 10w30 HDEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my friend with the PowerStroke Diesel was contemplating at cookout he was at today on which is good: DELO XLE 10W30 or MC 10w30. I said it being a Ford, can't go wrong with either. He does some hauling and off road driving(he's a logger and into lumber and woods and outdoor stuff)

Thanks in advance

No reason to believe one is better then the other and if so, which one it is.
So, my answer is either one.

But, I also agree I might lean towards Delo "just because" ... too. (I just put Delo 10w30 XLE in my mower) :eek:) It was the only quart size available.

Last edited:
For me Delo is easier to come by, s that's my pick. But either will work fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And no moly or boron like some of the other brands. Take that the way you want.

I just looked at the PQIA's latest VOA's on the semi-syn Chevron oils, and that's really odd, especially for a Delo product. Considering their conventional 15W40, is packed with anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives. And these are still CJ-4 rated oils.

I'm guessing Rotella's T5 and Mobil's Delvac Elite semi-syn oils numbers are probably very similar. Judging by the UOA's posted here, the "Big Three's" oils seem to perform similarly, regardless of the slight differences in their formulations.

Question: Maybe because somehow the semi-syn basestocks don't require these additives?

What's your thoughts, TT?

Come October, I'll be switching back over to Delvac Elite 10W30 in my Series 60, I can really tell the difference on cold starts with it, compared to the Super 15W40 that I run for the majority of the year.

My hopes are the new CK-4 oils perform as well as the Companies are telling us they will......

Originally Posted By: Dak27

I'm guessing Rotella's T5 and Mobil's Delvac Elite semi-syn oils numbers are probably very similar. Judging by the UOA's posted here, the "Big Three's" oils seem to perform similarly, regardless of the slight differences in their formulations.

My hopes are the new CK-4 oils perform as well as the Companies are telling us they will......

The only difference I noticed between the "big 3" 10W30 oils (T5, XLE, & Delvac Elite) is the TBN depletion rate. The Delo XLE was getting a little low in TBN after 22k-25k miles of OTR use. In the same trucks, application and amount of fuel burned, the T5 and Delvac Elite retained better TBN. Otherwise, my uoa's were consistent.

I'm very confident about the new CK-4 oils. The CJ-4 oils made some people nervous and I remember many owner/ops being reluctant to make the switch at the time of their release. As it turned out, not only did they lower the ash levels for the sake of the emissions equipment, but made a better quality oil all around. I look forward to putting some CK-4 in my Detroit.

Given those 2 options, I say MotorCraft. Moly and Boron are 2 of the adds in every Stiction additive on the market, ie. HotShots, RevX, etc.,that folks add to keep the injectors happy. The discussion could expand 10 fold, but on the surface, with those 2 choices, I think MC got it right.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

The only difference I noticed between the "big 3" 10W30 oils (T5, XLE, & Delvac Elite) is the TBN depletion rate. The Delo XLE was getting a little low in TBN after 22k-25k miles of OTR use. In the same trucks, application and amount of fuel burned, the T5 and Delvac Elite retained better TBN. Otherwise, my uoa's were consistent.

I'm very confident about the new CK-4 oils. The CJ-4 oils made some people nervous and I remember many owner/ops being reluctant to make the switch at the time of their release. As it turned out, not only did they lower the ash levels for the sake of the emissions equipment, but made a better quality oil all around. I look forward to putting some CK-4 in my Detroit.

That's good info regarding your UOA's and their TBN numbers, Dusty.

I sure wish my local Walmart stocked the 10W30 Delvac Elite. I was really happy with how it performed in my Detroit last Winter, and as soon as the temperatures drop, I'm switching over to it again.

How are you liking your DD13?

Last edited:

I sure wish my local Walmart stocked the 10W30 Delvac Elite. I was really happy with how it performed in my Detroit last Winter, and as soon as the temperatures drop, I'm switching over to it again.

So far, I'm liking it a lot. Everything is getting "broke in" and the truck is showing potential for great fuel economy.

The DD13 is a whole different animal than your Series 60 (as you know). The torque peak is at 975 rpm (and is supposedly flat out to 1400-1500 rpm) and horsepower peaks at 1625 rpm. I mostly operate it between 975 and 1300 rpm and it does fine, but 1300-1500 rpm works great if I need to maintain the most speed up a mountain.

The Jake is very strong going down the mountains. I don't know the braking power numbers but it holds the truck back nicely. Cummins is probably still the king of engine braking. I just know this DD13 (Jake) works well even at lower rpm's, no need to use the upper end of the range.

Just like the Series 60, the oil is black almost immediately after an oil change. I've only drained the factory fill but the new fill was black soon after it went in. My Volvos maintained clean looking oil for at least the first 10K miles of a new oci.

Even with Detroit's Optimized Idle (which stops/starts the engine as needed to maintain interior temps, voltage and oil temps in the cold), I had huge amount of idle hours this summer. No troubles with the emissions "stuff". It did regen after approximately 6-8 hours of idling, but no problems thus far. My Volvos never gave me a bit of trouble with long idles but it used the engine brake to put a load on the engine and build a little extra exhaust heat (probably why they have some cam failures).

Replaced factory fill with Delvac Elite 10W30 and I think I'll stick with it, but I've also contemplated the Delvac 5W30...I dunno.
blush.gif

Hope all is well for your business.

So far, I'm liking it a lot. Everything is getting "broke in" and the truck is showing potential for great fuel economy.

The DD13 is a whole different animal than your Series 60 (as you know). The torque peak is at 975 rpm (and is supposedly flat out to 1400-1500 rpm) and horsepower peaks at 1625 rpm. I mostly operate it between 975 and 1300 rpm and it does fine, but 1300-1500 rpm works great if I need to maintain the most speed up a mountain.

The Jake is very strong going down the mountains. I don't know the braking power numbers but it holds the truck back nicely. Cummins is probably still the king of engine braking. I just know this DD13 (Jake) works well even at lower rpm's, no need to use the upper end of the range.

Just like the Series 60, the oil is black almost immediately after an oil change. I've only drained the factory fill but the new fill was black soon after it went in. My Volvos maintained clean looking oil for at least the first 10K miles of a new oci.

Even with Detroit's Optimized Idle (which stops/starts the engine as needed to maintain interior temps, voltage and oil temps in the cold), I had huge amount of idle hours this summer. No troubles with the emissions "stuff". It did regen after approximately 6-8 hours of idling, but no problems thus far. My Volvos never gave me a bit of trouble with long idles but it used the engine brake to put a load on the engine and build a little extra exhaust heat (probably why they have some cam failures).

Replaced factory fill with Delvac Elite 10W30 and I think I'll stick with it, but I've also contemplated the Delvac 5W30...I dunno.
blush.gif

Hope all is well for your business.

The DD Series motors are incredible. I ran a DD15 as a company driver. It was governed to 65, and the company had some kind of fuel miser program, but it still pulled really well. You're right about the Cummins jake; they definitely have the best out there. The company had both ISX and DD15's and you certainly could tell the difference. The DD15's was still decent, I'd say the jake in my Series 60 is comparable. I do know when I'm heavy and getting ready to go down a steep grade, I drop a gear or two, just to be safe.

And actually, I just changed companies. I went back to hauling reefer freight(Heavy), and I'm running SO much more than I did with the previous company. So, everything looks very positive at this point.

Be safe out there, and we'll chat again soon.

I'm new as a member, so go easy, but I've kept up with BITOG posts for a couple years. I'm curious as to why most people recommend anything but MC 10w30? I've ran it in two 6.0s and my current 6.7 with no problems. Nearly 400k miles between the three. My 6.7 currently has 49k miles. If it's on the road I'm towing my mini excavator (12k lbs with trailer) or my 10k lbs fifth wheel camper. If I don't need to tow, I'm driving my F150.

Nothing wrong with MC oil! In all of my trucks (previous 6.0) and current 6.7 I run Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30.The Deere dealer is by far the closest outlet for me and I run all of their fluids in everything I can. It makes a nice one-stop pick-up for me and have always gotten back stellar UOA's in everything where it has been used.

I have never read anything bad about any MC HDEO, I think the responses you see here everyone tends to side with the "big three" when asked.

Originally Posted By: Rocdoc27
I'm new as a member, so go easy, but I've kept up with BITOG posts for a couple years. I'm curious as to why most people recommend anything but MC 10w30? I've ran it in two 6.0s and my current 6.7 with no problems. Nearly 400k miles between the three. My 6.7 currently has 49k miles. If it's on the road I'm towing my mini excavator (12k lbs with trailer) or my 10k lbs fifth wheel camper. If I don't need to tow, I'm driving my F150.

Nothing against MC HDEO here. If I had a (Ford) diesel pickup truck, I'd consider it as long as there was no price premium. The "big 3" (Delo, Rotella and Delvac) have solid reputations built in the heavy duty world. It's just an easy choice for most, to pick from one of those oils.

As far as MC 10W30 goes, I don't know if it is approved by the heavy duty engine builders. I know the MC 15W40 is at least approved for Volvo's VDS-4 (and maybe others) but the 10W30 is not on Volvo's list of approved oils.

Welcome to BITOG...it's about time you signed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back