Mobil oil no longer authorized for BMW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick check to see if this has been posted before and it doesn't appear to have been.
The new M1 FS 0W-40 doesn't have BMW approval so I checked the Mobil product guide below and I couldn't find any recommended oil for any BMW, new or oil:

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2013&Model=MzM1aQ%3d%3d&Make=Qk1X&Engine=QmFzZSA2LUN5bCAzLjAgKE41NUIzMEEpIChHQVMp

Have I over looked something?

That's very strange. I wonder if its a glitch in their system. That would be at least a small piece of their market if they dropped that rating.

I wonder if the Porsche/ VW rating is still there?

M1 0w40 no longer has ll-01 cert. Been like that a while now. Castrol 0w/5w 40 being the next easily available oil imo

I use carquest 5w40 . Ll-01

It's been that way for at least a year, I think. None of the Mobil oils carry BMW certifications anymore, as far as I know.

Last edited:
LL-01 is old stuff, lots of oils exceeds it. I thinks it is an Easy ride nowadays. That was needed in the SJ era, when it was issued.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryan2022
That's very strange. I wonder if its a glitch in their system. That would be at least a small piece of their market if they dropped that rating.

I wonder if the Porsche/ VW rating is still there?

Yes M1 still has the Porsche and VW rating. Just check out the M1 site.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
LL-01 is old stuff, lots of oils exceeds it. I thinks it is an Easy ride nowadays. That was needed in the SJ era, when it was issued.

BMW LL-01 like a lot of other specifications is constantly updated. Currently it is hardest gasoline Euro specification to meet!
M1 cannot meet this specification right now since they moved to GTL based 0W40FS. Because of that, in Europe M1 still sells old VISOM based 0W40.
All gasoline bMW's are still specified for LL-01 (including new B48 and 58 engines) or for LL-01 and LL-01FE, and some other fuel saving spec. But bottom line, LL-01 is current as it can be.
Also there is discussion about this on Euro oils forum for like last 6 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ST2008
Not sure if it's the same, the 0W40 sells in Canada has BMW approval.
http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_0w40.aspx#

I double checked with a jug of M1 0W40 I have and I stated that the oil is BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01 approved.

That is old version of M1, one that was on sale in the U.S until mid last year. I think in Canada they also switched to FS version.
How you can now:
HTHS:
Old: 3.8cp
New: 3.6cp
CST:
Old: 13.5
New: 12.9
etc...

Originally Posted By: edyvw
http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_0w40.aspx#

I double checked with a jug of M1 0W40 I have and I stated that the oil is BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01 approved.

That is old version of M1, one that was on sale in the U.S until mid last year. I think in Canada they also switched to FS version.
How you can now:
HTHS:
CST:
etc...

You're probably right. I bought this last week and it was on sale at CT store. It's very rare that the "europeen" oils are on sale. Probably they try to get rid the old batch. I bought one jug because I want to see how "good" this type of oil is and why they are more expensive than other synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

How you can now:
HTHS:
CST:
etc...

You're probably right. I bought this last week and it was on sale at CT store. It's very rare that the "europeen" oils are on sale. Probably they try to get rid the old batch. I bought one jug because I want to see how "good" this type of oil is and why they are more expensive than other synthetic oils.

Depending what you drive. They might be overkill for your car if it is Japanese or american car.

Caterham, you're going to have to buy Mobil Super 3000 5w-40 from Imperial Oil in a 205 litre drum now.
wink.gif
That still has the LL-01 approval.

If you recall we were still getting in Canada the old PAO based SM 0W-40 up until about a year ago; long after Mobil had switched to the heavier SN oil.
We're not getting the latest FS version of M1 0W-40 yet, so if past experience is anything to go by, the current LL-01 labelled oil should be available for a long time.

Manufacturer certification while nice is not that important to me although like most members I'd like to know the reason Mobil is no longer offering a BMW approved oil.
I doubt it's the cost of certification.
Is there something in the formulation of M1 FS 0W-40 to meet Porsche and Mercedes requirements that is mutually exclusive to BMWs requirements? Perhaps too much phosphorus (VOA of FS 0W-40 below)?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4028326/1

The lack of BMW certification was discussed back in March in the following Porsche thread that got hi-jacked by the BMW crowd:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4051068/1

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
It's been that way for at least a year, I think. None of the Mobil oils carry BMW certifications anymore, as far as I know.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 PDS
BMW LL-04

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40
BMW LL-04

This one doesn't show on the site yet, but it is a ROW product and the PDS has been on the US site for several months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back