reusing copper crush gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
When replacing brake hoses, they are supposed to come with new copper gaskets for the banjo bolt and you aren't supposed to reuse the old gaskets.

Am I the only one that has better luck getting the hose to seal with the old gaskets?

Yesterday I replaced the front hoses on my expedition. One package must have been opened and returned and was missing the gaskets. Not being overly concerned, I just used the old ones on one side. Tightened the bolt and it sealed without any trouble.

On the other side I used the new ones and had a heck of a time getting it to seal. To the point that if one more try didn't get it I was going to reuse the old gaskets.

This is the second time this has happened. On my plow truck, I couldn't get the banjo bolt to seal to save my soul. Once I fished out the old gaskets, I got it to seal right away.

Im usually more confident reusing the old copper washers. Am I the only one?

If the parts are steel you can get by with it. I stripped out the aluminum threads the banjo bolt screws into on my oil line feed trying to seal a leak from reusing the copper washers.

Some say heating the copper up will soften it when trying to reuse.

I agree sometimes the new copper fittings leak and the old worn ones look sketchy, but work better.

When a changed calipers on my 98 Sienna it was nerve wracking, because the last thing I wanted was a leak.

The old ones worked without any issues.

A friend gave me some fabric backed abrasive (had been a huge belt) which is made of sintered brass impregnated with man made diamonds.

The abrasive is glued (I assume) to the fabric in little cylindrical islands so there's room beside them for the cut material to accumulate.

He had 2 "grits", coarse and fine.

I shuttle my old metal gaskets (copper and aluminum so far) over the coarse to remove ridges and use the fine to bring 'em to near mirror smoothness.

Works like a charm. The 18mm aluminum gaskets which both my oil and transmission drain take cut down real fast.

The copper 14mm for the Saabs takes a bit longer.

It saves me gas, money and time. The fuel filter banjo gaskets are copper and never have any leaked.

I will use any supplied new gaskets when I do my brake lines out of propriety but I'd reuse 'em as described above without HEZ. Kira

If the parts kit you use comes with the gaskets, use them. This is one fitting that requires use of a torque wrench.(my opinion from experience). Used gaskets will probably seal but why risk having to correct a leak?

If the parts kit you use comes with the gaskets, use them. This is one fitting that requires use of a torque wrench.(my opinion from experience). Used gaskets will probably seal but why risk having to correct a leak?

I think it may be that some of these washers are a copper alloy, and they are just too dang hard to get that sealing groove in them without using a lot of torque. I did find by torquing the banjo bolt, and loosening it again, and then torquing it again helped form that groove in the washer. Just leave the new washer installed, and torque and loosen the banjo bolt multiple times to get it to seal. But I have to agree they can be a royal pain in the rear, and it's still hit and miss that it will seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back