Buying a franchise fitness center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 04SE
A local Snap Fitness center is for sale. Anyone know the nitty-gritty details of a fitness center?

The basics:

# of members: 700 +/-
Average monthly revenue is $25,000 +/-
The current rent is $4,900
Price $30,000 + transfer fee (assuming this is franchise fee)

They were hesitant to speak to actual net income, fees/costs, and some nitty gritty details. I think they wanted to see proof of financials first. I can't imagine it is a high profit endeavor if the initial costs are so low. Could you even expect to clear $1,000 per month? You can add tanning beds for additional monthly $$$, if you are fitness savvy you can offer training or partner with personal trainers. Snap fitness facilities are mostly self service, there are not attendants. I am assuming that you are leasing the equipment from Snap Fitness or a supplier. There have been a few of these for sale in my semi-local area lately.

Since you're asking questions that anyone who has any sort of business background should already know the answers to, I'll assume that you've never owned a business before. You need to do a small business evaluation and appraisal.

You'll need to open the books for at least the last three years. You'll want to see all of the expenses and revenue, and get an understanding of the free cash flow. If it's rising, find out why and understand what you need to do in order to continue that trend. If it's falling you need to find out why, and understand what you need to do to reverse the decline.

You have to understand all of the expenses associated with the business. You're in for quite an awakening when you begin to understand the amount of money required to simply keep the doors open. Keep in mind, simply keeping the doors open isn't enough-you'll need to constantly make improvements, otherwise you'll lose your clients to the gym down the street that is making improvements.

You will also need to do some market research. Is it saturated with businesses that offer the same services? What do other similar businesses sell for in the local market. Is there enough potential new business in the market to keep new customers coming in the door?

Looking at your numbers above, the sale price doesn't make sense. A business that is selling for slightly more than a single month's revenue? A sale price that is only 10% of the annual revenue? There are some serious questions with those fire sale numbers.

I'm not going to tell you to run from this business, but you need to do your due diligence. Check your emotions at the door as you do your research, and make sure you understand what the numbers mean. With just $300,000 in annual revenue, you may be buying a minimum wage job.

Honestly I would buy into a laundromat before I would a gym.

That way you can have arcade machines and soda machines.

A gym is a gym, and there is not much that can be added. YMCA does have a smoothie bar...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
A local Snap Fitness center is for sale. Anyone know the nitty-gritty details of a fitness center?

There have been a few of these for sale in my semi-local area lately.

That should tell you something right there......

Agree. Stay away from this deal.

I would expect a deal like this is buying yourself a job with maybe some good earnings. You can always have some bad injury lawsuits or rent raises to worry about, along with high insurance costs. I wouldn't want to pay more than maybe 2x actual profit for the place if it includes some decent equipment.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? The proof would be in the business financials.

Originally Posted By: Al
Leo99 said:
Fitness centers always seem to slowly die out in my experience. But I don't know why. They seem to do great for a while and then.... They are gone.

Gyms per se are a growing thing..or at least certainly are not dying out.

Since your in PA,check out the Warhouse GYM in Reading,PA

Never heard of this fitness place. Seems similar to the small 24 Hour Fitness, Anytime Fitness etc that go out of business, file bankruptcy, then reopen under a new name.

Buy into a Planet Fitness that has the cheapie $10 memberships and around $75 at signing. They also have the upgraded vip memberships for $25 or so with extra perks. The places are large. Vip members can visit any PF location while the chepies have to stay to their home gym. I'm guessing buying one of these is easily north of six figures.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The basics:

They were hesitant to speak to actual net income, fees/costs, and some nitty gritty details. I think they wanted to see proof of financials first. I can't imagine it is a high profit endeavor if the initial costs are so low. Could you even expect to clear $1,000 per month? You can add tanning beds for additional monthly $$$, if you are fitness savvy you can offer training or partner with personal trainers. Snap fitness facilities are mostly self service, there are not attendants. I am assuming that you are leasing the equipment from Snap Fitness or a supplier. There have been a few of these for sale in my semi-local area lately.

Since you're asking questions that anyone who has any sort of business background should already know the answers to, I'll assume that you've never owned a business before. You need to do a small business evaluation and appraisal.

You'll need to open the books for at least the last three years. You'll want to see all of the expenses and revenue, and get an understanding of the free cash flow. If it's rising, find out why and understand what you need to do in order to continue that trend. If it's falling you need to find out why, and understand what you need to do to reverse the decline.

You have to understand all of the expenses associated with the business. You're in for quite an awakening when you begin to understand the amount of money required to simply keep the doors open. Keep in mind, simply keeping the doors open isn't enough-you'll need to constantly make improvements, otherwise you'll lose your clients to the gym down the street that is making improvements.

You will also need to do some market research. Is it saturated with businesses that offer the same services? What do other similar businesses sell for in the local market. Is there enough potential new business in the market to keep new customers coming in the door?

Looking at your numbers above, the sale price doesn't make sense. A business that is selling for slightly more than a single month's revenue? A sale price that is only 10% of the annual revenue? There are some serious questions with those fire sale numbers.

I'm not going to tell you to run from this business, but you need to do your due diligence. Check your emotions at the door as you do your research, and make sure you understand what the numbers mean. With just $300,000 in annual revenue, you may be buying a minimum wage job.

Spot on. I've never owned a business but this is how I would approach it and your analysis sounds very correct.

I'd take a chance . Lots of Americans r fat an willing to invest in a PC (polically correct). blah,blah, blah,./....................gurl.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: Al
Leo99 said:
Fitness centers always seem to slowly die out in my experience. But I don't know why. They seem to do great for a while and then.... They are gone.

Gyms per se are a growing thing..or at least certainly are not dying out.

Since your in PA,check out the Warhouse GYM in Reading,PA

That is not my quote. They are not dying out..I agree with you.

The basics:

They don't own their land and building.

They may not own their equipment.

What do they have that is worth buying? A list of overpriced membership contracts that can quit paying on a whim, and you have to sue them to get little or anything on?

Not much it sounds like.

They would probably let you have it for free if you would assume and get them released from their contract liabilities, which are likely substantial, and not contributing to actually owning anything. It would be insane to take them up on this, unless you are extremely experienced with this type of operation, and know how to turn it around. Still, anything that relies on membership contracts for something as non essential as weight lifting or running in place, as a revenue source, I would personally avoid like the plaque in this economy.

It's not uncommon to require a deposit to look at someone's financials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back