VW. Jetta 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
NO, because it's a VW. I do not support a company that outright lies to the customers.

VW did not really lie to their customers, they just outwitted the authorities responsible for emissions tests as regards their TDI engines.
I regards many of the MPG figures quoted by many car and truck manufacturers as boderline lying, as some were pumping their tyres up to max tyre pressure figures!
Not too many honest vehicle sales managers around, although Merc and Volvo seem good. They don't even play the thin engine oil or even thinner tranny fluid game.
Dude, what are you smoking? They absolutely lied to their customers. Here, I just went out and pulled out the window sticker from the 2013 VW Beetle TDI. "Clean diesel"

k51nbr.jpg

Again, your unfortunate bad experiences with VW are related to TDI engines and in the Beetle's case DSG transmissions. There's nothing similar between a Jetta 1.4 or a 1.8 TSI (Aisin auto or traditional manual) and the diesel. Nobody expects a german car to be as trouble free as a Toyota Camry.

Will i one day regret buying a 2016 VW? Perhaps, time will tell, but for the first nearly one year of ownership i have extremely happy.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Again, your unfortunate bad experiences with VW are related to TDI engines and in the Beetle's case DSG transmissions. There's nothing similar between a Jetta 1.4 or a 1.8 TSI (Aisin auto or traditional manual) and the diesel. Nobody expects a german car to be as trouble free as a Toyota Camry.

Will i one day regret buying a 2016 VW? Perhaps, time will tell, but for the first nearly one year of ownership i have extremely happy.

I just told you, the issues this car has had have nothing to do with it being a TDI.

New rule on Bitog: Nobody can mention VW without TDI drama blowing up the thread.

Thanks Dareo

I have not done my research but the new VW's we are talking about no longer have the expensive DSG tranny service?
Is that correct? Must admit the old horror stories scared me off many times. Were you a previously VW owner or just new to them?

I've owned TDI diesels for nearly a decade, and have had no major issues with them, all 2003 and older models. I cannot recommend 2004+ diesel models as they are not as good.

The new base VW gasser models like Golf S or Jetta 1.8t Sport will have a conventional automatic made by Aisin that seems to be pretty good. I like manuals and always buy them whenever possible, so i don't have one, but people seem to be doing ok with them. If you spring for a GTI you get a DSG automatic.

I think you could do OK in a new VW gas with either the auto or the manual. Prices are excellent, the 1.8 can get real good MPG, even the stereo in the golf is pretty darn impressive for a stock base model. Great backup camera, blue tooth, android auto, i could go on and on. The total package is so much for so little. I can deal with some VW moments later on in its life in exchange for what it offers me. A really fun and thrifty wagon that will swallow huge amounts of cargo.

Window fell off track and got jammed, had to remove door panels and adjust and tighten the window regulators on both doors

Center console rattled like crazy, defective latch. Center console replaced

A/C smelled absolutely awful, mildew in the evaporator, had to have it flushed with coil cleaner

A/C intermittently quit working, first they evacuated the A/C and recharged. Didn't fix it.

Then next trip they couldn't find any problem. Didn't fix it.

Then the next trip the tech drove it over 100 miles and finally saw the problem, they replaced the ambient air temperature sensor. That didn't fix it, then they replaced the A/C control head, that didn't fix it, then they replaced the A/C compressor, that fixed it! Well, for a little while.

Battery died after only 18 months

Instrument cluster up on top of dash quit working, they had to replace that

Squeaked like crazy going over bumps. subframe had to be dropped and the sway bar links had to be replaced

Pinging noise under hood, alternator pulley replaced

Dealer on their own found a fault in the system with the key fobs, had to reprogram it.

A/C intermittently doesn't work once again

Doesn't sound like a good car to me.

The Golf chassis is the much more advanced MQB platform and the Jetta is not yet using that technology. I firmly believe that the Golf has the best chassis in the whole world right now for what it is, a volume passenger car. The ride is so good and yet can be very sporty if needs be. The cars are super light weight. My Golf Wagon variant had a shipping weight of under 3,000 lb. A weight loss of roughly 10% over the older Jetta Sport wagon model.

The interior is different / better depending on your taste. The jetta isn't bad, its just the Golf is so good.

Spot on

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
NO, because it's a VW. I do not support a company that outright lies to the customers.

If that's the case then GM was hiding that they knew about the ignition switches did nothing and people died. Toyota unintended acceleration they knew about that. Mitsubishi lied for years about claimed fuel economy. Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi’s cars are shown to emit significantly more NOx pollution on the road than in regulatory tests six to ten times more. Ford had exploding Gas tanks. I am sure there is more but that's just off the top of my head.

I was talking to my friend this morning whose wife had a 2013 VW Beetle with 17k miles. I could be a little off on the miles but it was very little. Just traded it in on a new Corolla. The Toyota dealer is part of a corp that owns many different brand dealerships, Chevy, Honda, Audi etc but I remember talking to one of the employees that mentioned how they wholesale just about all the VWs they get in on trade. edit, just looked at their used car inventory of 500 cars and they have 5 vws. One is a Routan(Dodge), one Rabbit, and 3 Jettas.

Last edited:
VW sells a lot of cars worldwide. If they were so bad they wouldn't be around. I had a 2006 rabbit with the 2.5 and it was good to me nothing major.
on the other hand my 2009 Vibe 1.8 which is a rebadged corolla/matrix. I have had to replace the hood latch cable snapped, steering shaft, VVTI controller, Water pump, intake manifold(under warranty) and the tranny is starting to act up. All out of Warranty except the intake manifold. Never go by. If you get a VW maybe it will be one of the best cars you owned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe buy the VW if it had the quality of a Toyota.

I love Toyotas, Hondas too. They still have problems. My accord and golf are tied at 1 warranty repair each so far. Toyota and Honda get too much credit today for the quality they used to have. Late 90s early 2000s Toyota are super reliable. Friend compression tested 98 T100 i sold him; 244k miles, perfect compression still. I can see a Toyota dealer service bay from my business. Their shop is always packed with Toyotas of all ages. Probably just oil changes right?

Unfortunately in today's global automotive world, bits of every car come from all over and may generate issues, even if its a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe buy the VW if it had the quality of a Toyota.

I love Toyotas, Hondas too. They still have problems. My accord and golf are tied at 1 warranty repair each so far. Toyota and Honda get too much credit today for the quality they used to have. Late 90s early 2000s Toyota are super reliable. Friend compression tested 98 T100 i sold him; 244k miles, perfect compression still. I can see a Toyota dealer service bay from my business. Their shop is always packed with Toyotas of all ages. Probably just oil changes right?

Unfortunately in today's global automotive world, bits of every car come from all over and may generate issues, even if its a Toyota.

So true. they are not what they used to be.

I'm tempted to swap the lancer with a 2016 jetta SE, they had them on lease for $99/month. Cheap entry and exit for me to test the car out. But the thought of a car payment and full coverage came into play. MPG and features are whats attracting my GF to the car.

I dont lease but a VW would be something i lease just to get a sense if that car was made on a monday/friday or Wednesday car. If you get what i mean.

Also about the TDI, i dont know about these new ones but the ALH motor was a SOLID freaking car on the mk4. As long as you had your timing belts and fuel filters done at the intervals, they were bullet proof with the except of some needing carbon cleaning on those EGR because they weren't rev-ed up much. The pump duce motor wasn't that bad either but ALH is KING. The chassis had too many little issues/recalls back then. I know because i did most of those TSB/recalls on many many cars in the MK4 years.

Leasing a VW would be great. If you get a bad one you just give it back. Worth the extra cost over buying.

That would be ok. I think they are so inexpensive that after the warranty is up- move on.
I will say I got really used to very reliable cars and really don't want issues but the 2016's are CHEAP- real cheap. is that a sign they ain't selling? Don't know.

This is just conversation but its a trap- then you look at the Passat's and they are cheap and really get almost the same mpg and are very big inside.. I'm going nuts... lol

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
I'm tempted to swap the lancer with a 2016 jetta SE, they had them on lease for $99/month. Cheap entry and exit for me to test the car out. But the thought of a car payment and full coverage came into play. MPG and features are whats attracting my GF to the car.

I dont lease but a VW would be something i lease just to get a sense if that car was made on a monday/friday or Wednesday car. If you get what i mean.

Also about the TDI, i dont know about these new ones but the ALH motor was a SOLID freaking car on the mk4. As long as you had your timing belts and fuel filters done at the intervals, they were bullet proof with the except of some needing carbon cleaning on those EGR because they weren't rev-ed up much. The pump duce motor wasn't that bad either but ALH is KING. The chassis had too many little issues/recalls back then. I know because i did most of those TSB/recalls on many many cars in the MK4 years.

Have they fixed their DMF yet? That really chafed me. I mean, I was glad to put in a better clutch so I could chip it at a later time; but just how do you screw up a flywheel? 249k and the clutch disc was mint. The flywheel surface was mint. The springs in the flywheel, not so much.

My PD did pretty good, and I did like the whole setup. I think I'm mostly glad to have had that car.

I think the clutch is pretty weak on these newer models too. They spec the DMF for brand new driving quality but expecting it to hold up long term or with sticky tires and a tune is another story. If high school girls can't drive the clutch its not going to sell.

We liked the Passat rental we had while our old Honda was getting fixed. Although owning one for the long haul wasn't our cup of tea due to their history of issues, and well-documented screwing of owners on warranty repairs. The only way we'd buy one is from a dealer with known good post-sale customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back