SR9c comparsion pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to this pistol. $430 is currently what i can get it for online.

Im looking for a 75% home defense and 25% as a CCW. I want something in a 9mm for price of ammo to practice and some stopping power. Orginally i was going to get a pistol solely as a CCW but i think i'll do that later down the road. I've shot the shield, XDS, lc9s. I've shot the SR9c and liked it as well. Reading online a lot of people dont like the many safeties on it (typical stuff), i didn't seem to mind them when i was shooting. Just need to slam that mag into the pistol or it wouldn't seat.

The biggest plus for me on this pistol is by default it comes with a 10rd mag thats good to carry and 17rd thats great for the range. Plus it already comes with the pinky extension that i love on my SR22.

I just cant help think there is another pistol that might fit the bill that i owe myself to try before. Tons of people told me to try the G19, i did but i'm not going to carry that IWB. The only one i want to try now before i pull the trigger on the SR9c is the M&P 9c.

I carry an SR9c in a Remora sleeve most days all day long.
It's comfortable and conceals well, and a very sweet shooting pistol.
I also have one at home as one of the guns I use for home defense.
They are reliable and recommended.

The SR9/SR9C has a sweet trigger and probably feels better in the hand to most people than the Glock. They're good pistols from what I've heard.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I have an SR9C it's a good pistol. I do prefer my Glock 32 and Walther PPS however.

I'm in the market for a G32. Hard to argue with all the positives - Ballistics, superior feeding to a non-bottlenecked cartridge, ability to swap in a .40 barrel, etc.

I was sold after watching tnoutdoors9's ballistic test/chronograph video showing 1500+ FPS from the Underwood loading of 124-gr. out of the Glock. That truly matches a .357 MAG revolver with a 4" barrel. There's a reason why the Tennessee Highway Patrol and many other state police organizations went with .357 SIG (G31, in most cases). It's probably going to be my next handgun purchase.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I have an SR9C it's a good pistol. I do prefer my Glock 32 and Walther PPS however.

I'm in the market for a G32. Hard to argue with all the positives - Ballistics, superior feeding to a non-bottlenecked cartridge, ability to swap in a .40 barrel, etc.

I was sold after watching tnoutdoors9's ballistic test/chronograph video showing 1500+ FPS from the Underwood loading of 124-gr. out of the Glock. That truly matches a .357 MAG revolver with a 4" barrel. There's a reason why the Tennessee Highway Patrol and many other state police organizations went with .357 SIG (G31, in most cases). It's probably going to be my next handgun purchase.

Many Police departments go with 9mm too.

There are many good pistols that meet the ops needs. It is a tough decision. Unless you are a big dude, you might want something smaller to ccw. And smaller means less fun to shoot at the range.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

There are many good pistols that meet the ops needs. It is a tough decision. Unless you are a big dude, you might want something smaller to ccw. And smaller means less fun to shoot at the range.

I'm not a big guy, average. 6 foot, 210lbs.

Well as i mentioned, right now this will be a 25% CCW. I'm not daily carrying, mainly weekends due to work place and etc. This will be my first CCW but i'll be shortly going to a single stack. Now that i think about it, it will most likely see a 45% range time, 45% nightstand/HD and 10% CCW.

So any other recommendations? I'm going to the rental range once more to try out the SR9C VS the M&P9c and FNX9c( i think thats the model). Glocks aren't my cup of tea at the moment. Just wanted to know if any other pistols i should least shoot and hold to see if i like it better. I'm happy buying the Sr9c today but i want to fully remove the remorse for the near future, least til i'm ready to buy another pistol (next spring, most likely single stack 9).

No matter what you buy, you'll have some remorse. Lol.

Unless you simply buy all of them....

The SR series pistols are quite nice, I have the SR40C and SR9. No real complaints on either and both have been 100% reliable. The SR pistols come with a magazine safety but this can be easily removed in about 2 minutes. I removed this safety on both of mine so they will now fire with out a magazine inserted. The ergonomics on the SR are hard to beat too.

OK. A couple of things. You live in Chicago? Can you even buy a gun? Can you possess a standard capacity 17 rd magazine? Do you have any previous firearms experience? Do you own any other guns?

Some people think a gun is a gun is a gun, but each and every gun has a specific purpose in mind and some guns are better suited for home defense rather than carry and vice versa.

For home defense, the best option is a long gun. Its more accurate, and more powerful. A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun, or magazine fed semi automatic rifle.

Second best option for home defense is a full size service pistol. A Beretta 92, Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P or similar style full size gun. They are easier to shoot than compacts, have faster follow up shots, are more accurate in beginner hands, and are more reliable in beginner hands as well.

For daily carry, most folks will find that they will actually carry a smaller gun while bigger guns get left at home. Since the entire idea behind concealed carry is actually having a gun on you, then a smaller gun might be a better idea. Ruger LCP, Smith&Wesson 642, Glock 42, Glock 43, Smith&Wesson Shield, etc are good guns in this smaller segment.

1)So my honest advice is this. Get a smaller gun for carry first. A Ruger LCP in the pocket every single day beats a gun at home.

2) Then buy a long gun. If money is tight, a pump action 12 gauge can be found for $150-$200. Sell some junk in your garage if you have to. But I wouldn't be without a long gun in my house. The difference between a long gun and pistol is something you have to see. Amazing difference in accuracy, power and terminal ballistics.

3) If you still have a bit more funds, get a full size service pistol for the night stand. This gun is backup to your long gun, or hand it to the wife if you hear a noise while you grab the long gun.

4) The SR9c is a serviceable pistol. I think there are better guns on the market though, for the price. For instance, the Canik TP9V2 is the best defensive pistol on the market in its price range ($350)

So there you have it. Bubbatime's bare minimum amount of defensive use firearms I would own is three. A long gun for home defense, a service size pistol for home defense (or riots and mass disaster evacuation), and a smaller carry gun that can get concealed every day without fail.

The SR series Rugers are well made and at an attractive price point. IMO can be equaled, but not ever beaten by any manufacturer.
2 Cool's defensive firearms list is this:
Hi-Point carbine in 40 S&W- Hits way harder than a 9mm, really hits way, way harder out of the longer tube.
Ruger GP-100 revolver for the night stand- Just point and shoot, no manual of arms, NO possibility of a misfeed or limp wrist.
Ruger LC9 for CC- small enough, hits hard, long trigger pull is much safer.

SR9C is an awesome pistol with a fantastic trigger,I sold mine however and moved to a CZ which I feel is
superior at the same price point.. Rugers nanny system and lawyer verbiage turned me off too much

Originally Posted By: Excel
SR9C is an awesome pistol with a fantastic trigger,I sold mine however and moved to a CZ which I feel is
superior
at the same price point.

CZ. What every Ruger semi auto dreams to be.

Originally Posted By: Excel
superior at the same price point.. Rugers nanny system and lawyer verbiage turned me off too much

As a friend once said to me "Spend the day shooting and spend the evening reading the sides of the gun"

I've been tough on Ruger the past few days here, although I can tell you that you will have to pry my Single 7 in 327 Magnum from my cold, dead hands. Fortunately, the billboard of text is mostly rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel. I'm also rather fond of my Blackhawk in 45 Colt(particularly if I want to bug obnoxious shooters at the indoor range and don't mind not having feeling in my right hand for a few days
smile.gif
) despite the billboard on it.

Aside from 1911s, though, I think that Ruger has a good ways to go in automatic pistols.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Aside from 1911s, though, I think that Ruger has a good ways to go in automatic pistols.

LPC, LC9s Pro? I'd say they are there...especially coupled with their great service.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

I'm not a big guy, average. 6 foot, 210lbs.

Well as i mentioned, right now this will be a 25% CCW. I'm not daily carrying, mainly weekends due to work place and etc. This will be my first CCW but i'll be shortly going to a single stack. Now that i think about it, it will most likely see a 45% range time, 45% nightstand/HD and 10% CCW.

So any other recommendations? I'm going to the rental range once more to try out the SR9C VS the M&P9c and FNX9c( i think thats the model). Glocks aren't my cup of tea at the moment. Just wanted to know if any other pistols i should least shoot and hold to see if i like it better. I'm happy buying the Sr9c today but i want to fully remove the remorse for the near future, least til i'm ready to buy another pistol (next spring, most likely single stack 9).
I bought a M&P Shield in 9. I liked it so much that I sold my Glock 22 and bought a M&P 40C. Very happy with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back