transmission fluid change question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

What is the best method to change the fluid on a 14 Mustang GT? My tranny has the thermostat so from what I've been told, it's almost impossible to flush this transmission(6R80)

This car has the very short dipstick which is very hard to access unless you have a lift.

Does anyone know if you take out the dipstick with the car off, will fluid come pouring out the hole? My plan was to remove the pan and measure how much fluid came out and replace with the same amount but I don't know if the car has to be running to be able to fill the tranny back up without it all coming back out the dipstick hole.

Wayne

The 6R80 on my f150 is fine to refill as long as there is no flow out of the cooler lines.

I have removed one of the line on the cooler and pumped 4 liters out through the line by running the engine. After i was done there was a siphoning sound from the open hose and the fluid in the cooler drained back (into the pan I believe). After that I could't refill the pan without the engine running. When I tried I got about 2 liters back in before it overflowed. After getting it running I was able to fill the other 2 liters. unfortunately the tiny dipstick and fill hole is very close to the exhaust and I ended up using a silicone hose to keep it from melting.

I suspect as long as the cooler system remains sealed you should be able to vacuum the fluid out of the pan and simply replace it without any overflow problems. If you drop the pan, more fluid than just fits into the pan may drain out, at which point you may need to get it running to refill. Not a big deal as the fluid should be checked at around 175F to show correctly on the dipstick, but definitely awkward.

Last edited:
If bdcardinal doesn't comment then send him a pm. He works at a Ford dealer in parts, drives the same car I believe and knows his stuff.

Rotunda makes a heated flusher for these transmissions. Usually a pan drop works though to get a lot of the fluid out. There are kits to add a regular dipstick but they are expensive from what I remember.

A 2014 would have just enough miles at this point that you could do a pan drop every year (or every other year) and you'd keep the additives replenished. No need to have the fluid always looking new as long as there's the necessary chemicals in it to fight off wear.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Pan drop,filter change and refill on a regular basis.

+1. No need to flush.

I'm fine with just doing a pan drop and filter change since I plan on changing the fluid and filter at 30,000 miles and then just replacing the fluid every 30,000 miles after that. I bought an extra factory pan for this transmission and had a drain plug welded in so future fluid changes would be less messy.

I forgot that I did buy an aftermarket dipstick tube and dipstick but I've not read very good reviews about it and I'm hesitant to install it. Basically it is only secured down at the bottom by the two O-rings that are on the end of the flexible dipstick tube.

Since I don't have the capability of knowing the temp of the transmission fluid, I just want to be able to drain and refill and measure the amount that comes out and be able to put that amount back in without it coming back out.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back