Does Anyone Remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
. I'm not old enough to have seen oil in metal cans on the shelves.

Well now THAT hurts! Might take me awhile to get over it.....ok I'm over it!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I believe Mobil I became available in the USA in about 1978. I first used it in a small block 350 which called for 10W-30. Never had a problem with Mobil I in 38 years. I remember those nice silver cans.The five quart jugs from Walmart are the perfect product for my current V6.

1978 is what I am thinking too. Loved the clean modern design on the can but was sure nervous for a few days once I put it in...just wasn't sure about a 5W-20. For my friends and me that was pretty radical.

Last edited:
Never bought into the Mobil 1 charade, still using Pennzoil for the last 45 yrs.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
... If the internet was around back then, we would have been arguing about real cans versus paper cans with metal tops and bottoms, instead of foil seals versus plastic rings.
wink.gif

I don't know about early Mobil1 cans, but I remember most oil came in cardboard cans with steel tops and bottoms in the 60s through mid-80s or so. I learned from my father how to open them with a screwdriver, not the fancy punch-in specialized spouts wimps used. We also got oil for farm use in 5-gallon cans, which we re-used for gasoline for the tractor and mowers.

Those old cylindrical cans, and the 24-quart cases in which they came, were a lot more space-efficient than today's plastic bottles.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I noticed on some new cars when the engine is hot and you shut it off for 20 minutes or so and restart it the oil lite will stay on for a second or two or three.. My 2011 santa fe 3.5 v6 does that and so does my friends 2016 3.3 Santa fe..I also had that on a lexus.

Interesting. I've never seen this with any brand or grade of oil.
The only time I see a second or two of low pressure light is after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I believe Mobil I became available in the USA in about 1978. I first used it in a small block 350 which called for 10W-30. Never had a problem with Mobil I in 38 years. I remember those nice silver cans.The five quart jugs from Walmart are the perfect product for my current V6.

1978 is what I am thinking too. Loved the clean modern design on the can but was sure nervous for a few days once I put it in...just wasn't sure about a 5W-20. For my friends and me that was pretty radical.

M1 5-20(the only wt there was)came on the American market in 1974. I started using it in 1978.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Those new plstic bottles and jugs are made of a petro chemical , over the course of a few months the oil will break down the plastic and then it will end up in your engine and coat everything in plastic.

That, too. The switch from cans to bottles would have set the internet on fire.

CR94: The last Rotella cans I used were all metal, but that certainly wasn't true of all other products.

For some, using a 5w-20 (even in an engine that specifies it) is still pretty radical ...

For some, using a 5w-20 (even in an engine that specifies it) is still pretty radical ...

But as has been discussed here many times, the old M1 5W-20 likely had an HTHS in the 2.9 to 3.0 range, and they did make a vague comparison to 10W-40 on the can. It was not like today's 5W-20.

I used it in both my 1979 Plymouth Horizon and my 1974 Buick Regal. That was a long time ago but I don't recall any issues with either car.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Those new plstic bottles and jugs are made of a petro chemical , over the course of a few months the oil will break down the plastic and then it will end up in your engine and coat everything in plastic.

That, too. The switch from cans to bottles would have set the internet on fire.

CR94: The last Rotella cans I used were all metal, but that certainly wasn't true of all other products.

I have a friend that works in a big Parts Warehouse, they have an old Shell Rotella " For Diesels " red can sitting there , i might ask if they would sell it

Awesome isn't it? Just put the last of my 2003/4 GC stash in my John Deere. Runs better than ever!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I first used mobil in the mid nineties. 0w40 flavour it was. I'm not old enough to have seen oil in metal cans on the shelves.

It was more fun to force the penetrating spout into the top of the can.

It was pretty tough to spend $5 quart when conventional was 79 cents.

At the time period you'all are trying to remember, I was driving for Diamond Tank Lines as an owner/operator and XOM was building their new refinery in Benicia. I hauled for all those boys, bulk, bright stock, finished lubes, you name it.

Shell Martinez had been in place for over a 100 years by then, but they were pushing out some really fine lubes. Chevrons Richmond plant was in full swing and they were making some excellent oils. Pennz Alameda was pushing bulk sales, and Tosco was the joke refinery as it caught fire about every week or so
laugh.gif

I hauled a fair amount of bright stock to some race lube blenders around the SF Bay. Many bought their base stocks from a mix of refiners, but seldom did they buy from Exxon or Mobil. Phillips, you bet, Shell, sure. Chevron, by the truck load, but Mobil 1 was just not a big mover. It was brought in for retail sales and I don't think there was one commercial bulk account using it ...

I'd be very curious to see if there is a commercial side to that product, even today ... Anyone other than GM (Corvette/Cadillac) doing factory fills with Mobil 1 ??

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
At the time period you'all are trying to remember, I was driving for Diamond Tank Lines as an owner/operator and XOM was building their new refinery in Benicia. I hauled for all those boys, bulk, bright stock, finished lubes, you name it.

Shell Martinez had been in place for over a 100 years by then, but they were pushing out some really fine lubes. Chevrons Richmond plant was in full swing and they were making some excellent oils. Pennz Alameda was pushing bulk sales, and Tosco was the joke refinery as it caught fire about every week or so
laugh.gif

I hauled a fair amount of bright stock to some race lube blenders around the SF Bay. Many bought their base stocks from a mix of refiners, but seldom did they buy from Exxon or Mobil. Phillips, you bet, Shell, sure. Chevron, by the truck load, but Mobil 1 was just not a big mover. It was brought in for retail sales and I don't think there was one commercial bulk account using it ...

I'd be very curious to see if there is a commercial side to that product, even today ... Anyone other than GM (Corvette/Cadillac) doing factory fills with Mobil 1 ??

Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back