octane ratings and ethanol % in your state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about this... Minnesota generally has 87/89/91, all E10. Some stations sell "nonoxygenated gas" (people use for boats, snowmobiles, mowers) which is premium 91 without ethanol. However, iirc Iowa and Nebraska have 89 octane cheaper than 87 because the 89 contains octane and the 87 doesn't. How is it where you live?

NYC has for the most part, 87/89/93

Some niche stations (Sunoco) do 87/89/91/93

Other niche stations (Costco) do only 87/93

It's all E10 at least, I don't see labeled E15?

Not too many years ago it was all 87/89/91 octane here. Then one day I was filling up and noticed premium was 93. Started checking all stations around and they all are now 87/89/93.

Everything has at least 10% ethanol.

Too bad the minimum octane didn't get raised any without a cost increase. Premium has always been a decent amount more, but you'll never find it for less than 30 cents more per gallon here (usually when regular is a higher price than right now). I just checked on gasbuddy and all premium is 50 to 60 cents more per gallon.

87/89/91/93,all E10 everywhere.
E blends available in some places, usually E15,20,25,and then 85.
No E0.
All diesel is spiked with 5 to 11% bio. Why 11%? Who the heck knows in bankrupt Illinois.

I miss the Sunoco blend pumps from forever ago. 260 octane! Wow, more than modern day race fuels and available on every other corner!

Of course I know that ain't right.

Boise Idaho. E10 with 87/89/91 at most stations. One station in town does 85/87/90 We have a few doing E85 but I don't have a vehicle that uses that weak mix. We do have more and more stations selling ethanol free fuel in all grades. They seem to be very popular.

Originally Posted By: wemay
S.Florida
E10
87, 89, 93, *REC 90

*different spout size ethanol free.

Is the different spout size there to keep customers from fueling their cars with it? There are a few non-ethanol stations a good drive from me, but they are all at marinas.

In my neck of the woods in Iowa, we have E0 87 and Premium, 87, 89, 91, and 93 E10. 88 E15, 100 E85. Not sure the octane rating of the E20 and E30 also available. Pull into some fuel distributor locations, and you can fill up with 105 E10 or 112 E0.

Spout sizes are the same across the gasoline spectrum.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
We have a few doing E85 but I don't have a vehicle that uses that weak mix.

Weak in what way? Can't speak to every engine and every OEM out there, but I have seen several official SAE charts that show several GM engines getting substantive hp and torque gains by using E85. Cummins has a 2.8L inline 4 engine that was designed for E85 as its primary fuel. That engine exceeds the power of the 5.7L Hemi, and gets better fuel economy as well. Reaches peak torque at 2100 RPM.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
Originally Posted By: wemay
S.Florida
E10
87, 89, 93, *REC 90

*different spout size ethanol free.

Is the different spout size there to keep customers from fueling their cars with it? There are a few non-ethanol stations a good drive from me, but they are all at marinas.

Yes. The spout circumference is the same diameter as the fill hole. People still use it though.

87/89/93 mostly E10. Started seeing some E15 and E85 at Sheetz. (Usually don't get fuel there, not Tier 1.)

I can find all grades in ethanol free, it seems to have become more common over the last several years.

Last edited:
Around here, I can get 87 and 90REC in ethanol free. All other grades contain "up to 10%." BTW, the non-ethanol fillers are the diameter of old leaded gas nozzles, which is a fair bit larger than standard unleaded fillers. They drop right into my MG(as does the 100LL nozzle at the airport), but not my newer cars. The ethanol free stations and the airport are both, of course, only supposed to pump into a jug or an off-road vehicle.

I know our general chemistry labs at work do an experiment every year where they analyze ethanol content in gasoline, and as far as I know it's 87 that just comes from whatever gas station happens to be convenient for the person getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back