SuperTech oil filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how are they? Decent enough for a "normal" oil change? I actually had no issues with the old e-core ones.

I actually need a filter for a short run in my brother in laws F150. 156,000 miles on the truck, oil change sticker from quick lube place said change 2/16 or 152,000 miles. It has been having some major issues that I am taking care of (fouled plugs, misfires, cats plugged, lean and rich codes etc and am sure the oil is fuel diluted).
I was going to use a Wix made CQ Red I have with some Castrol GTX syn blend I have, but for $3, I may use a ST for the short run, then the CQ Red for the regular interval with more Castrol blend.

I put one on in late July with oil change. 1400 miles no issues:), will go with the napa gold I have for winter..
There are a few recent vids on you tube on the new supertechs

WIX IS A GOOD THING
grin.gif

I just screwed one on yesterday. I stopped using them when they were e- cores however.

They are great filters and are equal to the Napa ProSelect. Napa recommends a 5k OCI.

They aren't bad for the money, but for a mower needing the 3614/ 3600, I would step it up to the Motorcraft FL-400s for ~$1 more.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
They are great filters and are equal to the Napa ProSelect. Napa recommends a 5k OCI.

Good to know. That is about the same level as what the CQ Red is, so I will just use the CQ red for the short OC since it is an older filter, and then use a ST for the regular interval.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do we know what the filter micron rating is on the new ST filters?

I think it says on the box. But i dont have my box anymore...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do we know what the filter micron rating is on the new ST filters?

The box (at least the one the OP links to) says filters 95% efficiency rating, then the back says at 29 microns.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
For the price they are good filters made by Wix...Problem is Wix is not the same company it used to be.

Applies to most companies nowadays.

Quote:
....The box (at least the one the OP links to) says filters 95% efficiency rating, then the back says at 29 microns.

Same rating as the current O'R MicroGard line also made by Wix. The latter though has fewer consolidated applications than the ST.

The ST9688 is a consolidation of the popular 7317 and larger diameter 9688 in the 7317 application size. On the plus side that is one of the ST applications that uses a separate metal dome bypass, not a combo valve. Imo those ST applications using the separate bypass are preferable. The ST 9688 seems to be popular as local WMs in this area seem to have difficulty keeping them in stock.

Overall though for a ~$2.85 the Super Tech OF is imo a serviceable option for ~5k mile ocis in a value/jobber tier filter.

I never noticed the lower tiered WIX's using the non combo bypass, but now that you mention it, the Microgard 51334 uses what I believe a base end bypass as opposed to a combo setup. I wonder if they had to do this for the older Hyundai TSB?

I use the 51334 on a few Kubota garden tractors with great results. Unlike the Chinese made Kubota filters, these are US made, 1/3 the price and come out looking just as good.

In my non scientific opinion though, these tractors aren't hard on oil. Little to no cold starts and they are ran at full throttle for hrs at a time once started and warmed up.

Months ago I put a Supertech ST3980 on my S10 4.3 and my truck knocked for the first time ever when I started it up right after the oil change. I use a different filter after every oil change and this is the only one that had this problem. I've never had a filter take this long for the oil to pass through it and move the oil pressure gauge after an oil change. I went with the Tough Guard TG3980 this time and problem solved. But for some reason, my oil pressure is slightly lower at idle using extra guard and tough guard Fram filters. With Wix and AC Delco(PF52 Classic), it idles at 25psi after a long drive. With Fram it idles at 20. I'm going with an AC Delco PF52E next change where flow shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't use a Supertech on a Chevy S10.

Originally Posted By: IOOIOOI
I went with the Tough Guard TG3980 this time and problem solved. But for some reason, my oil pressure is slightly lower at idle using extra guard and tough guard Fram filters. With Wix and AC Delco(PF52 Classic), it idles at 25psi after a long drive. With Fram it idles at 20.

Verify if the oil pressure sensor is before or after the oil filter on that engine. You should only see an oil pressure reading difference if the sensor is before the filter. If the sensor is after the filter, then the pressure reading should be the same at idle RPM no matter what filter you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back