Starter Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Nissan Xterra V6

I replaced the starter 2 years ago and it died last night on my wife at the grocery store. She tried jumping it without success.
Due to a late shift last night I couldn't get to it this morning, but I got it to start by tapping the starter with a hammer.

So I got it home and up on ramps. Pulled the starter, went and got a replacement as it has a Napa lifetime warranty.
I got the new one installed and in the process of taking it down off the ramps the issues with the new starter began.

The starter gets stuck in the "open" position. You start the car and there is this whine, you crawl under the car and tap the starter and the starter prawl retracts and the whine ceases.
This happens every 1/4 to 1/5 starts. Sometimes the starter is stuck for just a few seconds and by the time you get on your hands and knees it sorts itself out.

I attempted to return my "new" starter to NAPA, and they said that my "old" starter that I gave them as a core they tested and it came back good.
The Old Man at Napa says that I have an issue with my electrical system, my computer, or my fly wheel is "buggered up".
I was told that another starter wouldn't solve my issues.

I went home and reinstalled the "new" starter, double checking everything, just so I can drive the car. ( Once the Xterra is on ramps it takes me about 5 minutes to change out the starter I've now done it so many times.)
And I've had this issues once again.
I started the car, I hear a whine, I grab my hammer and by the time I crawl under the car the starter has decided to work properly.
My gut feeling is that I have another bad starter and their "test" is garbage.

I spoke to a friend who owns his own garage.
He's seen this once before, and that client drove on the starter and burned it out.

I've done starters on trucks and my Taurus before without issue.
This starter appears straight forward, after you disconnect the battery there are just 2 bolts and 2 electrical connections.

What are your thoughts?
Should I pressure Napa more Tomorroa so that I can try a 3rd starter? (I have Thursdays and Fridays off.)
I have a "Lifetime warranty" on this part, I typically buy premium parts so I don't strand my wife.
This is my first disappointment from Napa.
I stopped shopping at another chain due to weird issues with every part happening *just* out of warranty.

Should I just take my business elsewhere?

Your advice and opinions are appreciated.

wire up a hammer by the starter, if there is room, and rig a string into the interior, so you can just tug the rope to tap the starter free. Other than maybe some shims to back the starter off some, this sounds expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
wire up a hammer by the starter, if there is room, and rig a string into the interior, so you can just tug the rope to tap the starter free. Other than maybe some shims to back the starter off some, this sounds expensive.

That ain't bad right there, Vern.......

Tell them its the starter and if another one fixes it(from somewhere else) you want a full refund for their pos.

Alternatively tell them since this one is fine they should have no problem selling it but you want a different one? Since its actually a pile and not working?

*shrug*

Could be a couple of different things going on. The bendix could be "Sticky" which would be a bad starter. Connection problem in the starting circuit itself. Check to see if the ignition switch signal to the starter is correct as well as checking the starter relay. Id check all the basics as well as cleaning all grounds too. Ive seen scenarios like this be the starter itself to ignition switch , neutral safety switch , relay etc. Basically cover all your basis before you condemn the starter.

They can test it all they want to, but that fancy testing machine is not always going to be right, and I know this for a fact.

2008 Honda Civic started having issues, and the motor would not turn over at random. Battery was old, so we put a fully charged brand new one on. It would not even start it, until I gave it a boost. Worked ok that night, and the next day the motor would not turn over again. Took the starter to Advance Auto to test it on their fancy machine, and the starter passed with flying colors. I bought a rebuilt starter anyway since I knew that the machine was wrong. And yes the new starter solved all the problems, and it has been cranking fine ever since.

Doesn't sound like its your starter. Why do you immediately discount what the folks at Napa told you amd insist on replacing starters instead of finding the real problem. You've got a bad relay, bendix or something. Hammers don't make a starter work. If you're using a hammer, look elsewhere.

I had a starter acting up in a 1994 Chevy Silverado a few years ago. I took it to Advance and Autozone who both tested it and said it was OK. I put it back on my truck and same issues and I could not find any other electrical problems so I ended up getting a rebuilt one from Advance since relatively cheap and not hard to change on that truck. No problems since. Obviously those testing machines are not 100% accurate.

Had one time replaced the starter on the truck. I take the replacement starter I got from Napa and hit it several times while on the ground with my foot on it (jumper cables) to check the motor spin, also check the solenoid, and how it kicked the gear in/out. Spun fine, but once installed engaged into the flywheel under load it spun slow. Back on the ground it spun fine, back in the truck it spun slow, and battery was good.
Took it back to Napa and they tested it saying it was fine. I told them I don't care I want another starter. Got another starter and was fine since.

Last edited:
I went and picked up some CRC electrical connection cleaner.
So far the 2x I've started it today it's been ok.

I'm letting it cool off before I begin pulling it all apart and cleaning it.
We'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back