Replace water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the other day my radiator in the Jeep is leaking. While everything is off, is it worth replacing the water pump too? It looks like the task can be done without removing the radiator, but obviously it'd be much easier to replace with everything off. Let's just say it'd be easier to replace her Volvo's WP even though it's wound up in the timing belt..

So should I replace the pump? If so, it'll have to be a parts store pump (no time to ship) and most likely whatever AAP carries since I'll be getting the radiator and hoses from them too. To my knowledge, it's the original pump and has a little under 186k on it.

My recent flush (distilled water and G-05 only) must have removed some crud that was plugging up the 2" wide dent on the top of the radiator. I am just thankful it lasted me the 200 miles until the end of the week and that I have a 4 day weekend to get the job done.

Last edited:
My water pump went bad about 120k miles. Who knows? Yours may last another 100k miles

But if you have easy access and time, sure you can do it

13 years 185k miles what do you expect ? It paid for itself few years ago !

If you don't do anything with radiator, then no need to replace WP, since everything around that area is out, easy time to do WP.

I would be hesitant to take off a good OEM pump and put on a parts store reject. My step-moms 2004 Dodge 4.7 had almost 300k on the OEM pump and it was leaking but it turned out to just be the gasket, so I replaced that instead of the pump.

I would not replace the water pump if it is working. However, I would definitely replace the t-stat, radiator cap, hoses and clamps with OE parts from the dealer whenever the radiator is replaced. And that is always how I sell the repair.

Only replace water pump if leakage from the weep hole is detected. Water pumps USUALLY give warning signs, but I've had a few(on GM 3800's) just lock up for no reason.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Only replace water pump if leakage from the weep hole is detected. Water pumps USUALLY give warning signs, but I've had a few(on GM 3800's) just lock up for no reason.

My fathers Silverado with the 6.0 is on its 3rd water pump in 150K miles. His have failed catastrophically and blew out most of the coolant in a matter of minutes.

"IF" you yank the radiator, I would change the water pump. It would be easy and at 186k miles, your water pump is nearing the end of it life. You can get quality replacements if you know where to look. I would take a new aftermarket pump than an old original, 186k pump anyday.

Thanks guys. Still seems to be a bit of a toss up.

The t stat was replaced last Fall with a Mopar part from Rock Auto. I didn't have time for a flush at the time so I just topped it off with 50/50 and went on my way.

I plan on buying Gates or Dayco hoses and just a Stant radiator cap.

Oh and Ill replace the fan relay too while I am in there. It burned out a little under 2 years ago.
smile.gif

I would replace the pump, but I would only be using an OE pump.

I have seen too many aftermarket pumps that only last one year.

It's just so hard to predict what water pumps will do...I've seen a lot of them fail at 80,000 miles...just the other day I saw an aftermarket Toyota pump fail at 50,000. Most cars with timing belts have their pumps replaced at 100,000 as preventive maintenance - because once you get it all apart you don't want to do the job over again because of a bad pump. But I've heard of these things lasting to 200,000 miles, but I usually see them fail around 150,000 or so, so I'd definitely change it while you're in there.

If we're talking about a pump that carries a clutch and fan, I would definitely do it. If that pump fails, you might end up buying a new belt, clutch, fan, radiator, and shroud.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
It's just so hard to predict what water pumps will do...I've seen a lot of them fail at 80,000 miles...just the other day I saw an aftermarket Toyota pump fail at 50,000. Most cars with timing belts have their pumps replaced at 100,000 as preventive maintenance - because once you get it all apart you don't want to do the job over again because of a bad pump. But I've heard of these things lasting to 200,000 miles, but I usually see them fail around 150,000 or so, so I'd definitely change it while you're in there.

What is an "aftermarket Toyota pump?"

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If we're talking about a pump that carries a clutch and fan, I would definitely do it. If that pump fails, you might end up buying a new belt, clutch, fan, radiator, and shroud.

And engine.

This is also true. Had a pump start to go on one of my trucks. The oscillation of the fan yanked the threads out of the water pump bolts and nearly dumped the whole pump out. Had to drill and use thread inserts to fix it. One of my guys said he'd seen the same problem rip a chunk out of the aluminum block before. Glad I didn't have to go through that.

I ended up keeping the old pump.

Since it needed to be done that weekend, I didn't have time to order a Mopar unit.

I looked into next day and 2 day shipping.. both of which were outrageous.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: doublebase

What is an "aftermarket Toyota pump?"
Well, it's NOT an ASIN.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I will be looking forward to your future post on "which water pump should I buy"?

You make it sound like a failure is right around the corner. Maybe it'll fail next week or maybe it'll outlive the vehicle..

If I absolutely needed a new pump it would be a Mopar no doubt whether it's from the dealer or Rock Auto.. As I said earlier, my radiator failure wasn't planned so I had no time to collect ideal parts.

I am just speculating because I never had a water pump last the miles yours has accrued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back