AMSOIL Synthetic Firearm Lubricant and Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I've been using BF CLP for a long time and I augment with either T9 or Fluid Film on the outter surfaces if I anticipate harsh weather. Works well for me...

So is the Amsoil cleaner a CLP or a dedicated cleaner? The website isn't very clear.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Interesting. I've been using BF CLP for a long time and I augment with either T9 or Fluid Film on the outter surfaces if I anticipate harsh weather. Works well for me...

So is the Amsoil cleaner a CLP or a dedicated cleaner? The website isn't very clear.

The cleaner is primarily a cleaner, and does protect if you leave residual behind, but not a true lubricant. The lube is a lubricant and protectant.

Neat, I was wondering when they were going to get around to this.

Pablo- Do you have any more technical details for us? The flash point, pour point, scent and maybe a basic ingredients list would be a good start.

Curious to learn more.

Mainly, I am curious how it handles powder/carbon/firing residue. I place that, and corrosion protection (already displayed) as my top priorities for MY uses. It's what will stop a weapon from cycling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Anyone who can pronounce this gets a free bottle.

"dinonylnaphthalenesulphonate"

LOL Rust inhibitor. No clues as to their AW/EP package...

At $2 an ounce, even with PC discount, this isn't cheap. Seems to be in line with most other gun lubes, though.

Base oil looks like a Grp II or III paraffinic. Cleaning power might be low.

Other than apparent good rust prevention, not sure what makes this product standout?

Originally Posted By: Tempest

At $2 an ounce, even with PC discount, this isn't cheap. Seems to be in line with most other gun lubes, though.

Other than apparent good rust prevention, not sure what makes this product standout?

Group II/III isn't synthetic, though, no? So doesn't that make the assessment impossible, or the label misleading? One or the other, right?

I mixed up some "Ed's Red" about a year ago. Type that into a search engine. Simple, effective, and cheap. Made with stuff most BITOGers already have. I subbed Coleman fuel for the kerosene. Still cleans very well.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
Originally Posted By: Tempest

Group II/III isn't synthetic, though, no? So doesn't that make the assessment impossible, or the label misleading? One or the other, right?

You will note he said "looks like" and "might". How much can you really tell from the MSDS? Certainly not the efficacy of the product, or some kind of ingredient list. I will order each next week and give it an honest shot.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I mixed up some "Ed's Red" about a year ago. Type that into a search engine. Simple, effective, and cheap. Made with stuff most BITOGers already have. I subbed Coleman fuel for the kerosene. Still cleans very well.

And I'm not at all sure what Ed's Red has to do with this thread. I suppose one could post that in every gun cleaner/lube thread. Is there something about the Amsoil name that brought up Ed's Red?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

You will note he said "looks like" and "might". How much can you really tell from the MSDS? Certainly not the efficacy of the product, or some kind of ingredient list. I will order each next week and give it an honest shot.

Thanks for the info and I will look forward to your review! The flash point looks good and high. If anyone has the lube engineers on hand to make a good gun oil, it is amsoil.

Sorry, folks, I have committed the capital offense of going somewhat off topic in a thread. I know that non one else ever does that and I profusely apologize.

My cleaning mixture includes synthetic ATF. I guess that's what made me think of Ed's Red.

Seems like free samples would be a good way to get a foot hold in the billion dollars gun lube/cleaner market.

We profusely accept your apology.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Seems like free samples would be a good way to get a foot hold in the billion dollars gun lube/cleaner market.

That's how Weapon Shield got me to try their products.

Member Ws6 sent me various free samples and I've been using Lucas Extreme Gun Oil first & foremost.

With companies like Lucas doing well in the Gun Oil business, it makes sense for Amsoil to join-in, being Gun Oil is high profit item for companies already dabbling / entrenched in motor oil & cleaner sales.

Originally Posted By: Doog
i'm still a G96 fan.

Me too. One of my favorites.

WOW, Amsoil comes out with a gun lube. Impressive. If I ever see any, I'll buy some. I wont go out of my way to order online another gun lube since I have probably a gallon of gun lube at this point from 20 different manufacturers, but if I see some local, I'll buy some to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back