BMW is now trying water injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup i think some of the problems were trying to stay alive...Lets face it if you can make cars run on water and it works out great lots of powerful people won't like that very much.. ...Its like a cure for say cancer.. Sorry thats the real world my friends.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Yup i think some of the problems were trying to stay alive...Lets face it if you can make cars run on water and it works out great lots of powerful people won't like that very much.. ...Its like a cure for say cancer.. Sorry thats the real world my friends.

It's just to prevent detonation.

Its not to make a car run on water. It cools the intake charge and helps prevent detonation so you can run higher compression or more ignition advance.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
have you priced "good" water lately? it is more expensive than gasoline!!

We get ice mountain at kroger when it's on sale buy 5 save $5 making 5 cases $1.99 each

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Vikas
have you priced "good" water lately? it is more expensive than gasoline!!

We get ice mountain at kroger when it's on sale buy 5 save $5 making 5 cases $1.99 each

At gas station ?

Sure, $1 for 16.9 oz bottle water compares with national average of $2.50/gal. A gallon of cold water at gas station is about $7.5, 3 times as much as gas.

Never stepped into gas station for anything other than use of bathroom.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Its not to make a car run on water. It cools the intake charge and helps prevent detonation so you can run higher compression or more ignition advance.

Ethanol does that too. And still cheaper than bottled water.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Ethanol does that too. And still cheaper than bottled water.

Distilled water is $1/gal. What are you on about this time?

How will they manage potential hardness? Maybe an in-line ion-exchange filter? What about winter? Will they recommend windshield washer fluid? There are a few challenges making such a system booger-proof.

??????

Dude....you are crazy. Water injection has nothing to do with motors running 100% on water. Time to set aside your crazy, off-key bias and educate yourself.

I've been looking into it for awhile given the ambient heat down here. Makes it difficult to generate any sufficient boost. During Winter (i.e. February), the sled just comes alive.....she loves cold, dense air.

What is old is new and vis-versa. I used to sell the edelbrock water injection systems back in the 80's. I always thought they were a great way to advance timing and stop pre-ignition. Before that in WWII they were using water injection on airplane engines. Next year, the Carter EKE(electronic knock eliminator, circa 1982) will make a comeback?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

??????

Dude....you are crazy. Water injection has nothing to do with motors running 100% on water. Time to set aside your crazy, off-key bias and educate yourself.

I've been looking into it for awhile given the ambient heat down here. Makes it difficult to generate any sufficient boost. During Winter (i.e. February), the sled just comes alive.....she loves cold, dense air.

Do it!

My 2.0L with an M62 at 18psi loves it. You can find a simple used kit for $100, or go all out for $800 and up.

Saab and Olds did it. I had it in my turbocharged Daihatsu Move, and wish I had installed one in my 97 GTP. If you've got questions, let me know.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
This must be a joke. They can barely build a car that crosses the warranty finish line...

That has not been my experience of off and on ownership since 2005.
The only complaint I have is aweful depreciation, causing me to just keep them, so I learned that roadsters and convertibles were not practice. Sedans are.

Last edited:
This must be a joke. They can barely build a car that crosses the warranty finish line...

Well, the E90 3er has 100k on it, the E36 has 144k, and the X3 has only 189k on it. I guess someone moved the line- in my neck of the woods, at any rate...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Well, the E90 3er has 100k on it, the E36 has 144k, and the X3 has only 189k on it. I guess someone moved the line- in my neck of the woods, at any rate...

Many here draw strange and unfounded conclusions from the excess info available on the net. There are probably millions of happy BMW owners who enjoy their cars and do not post at all. But a few thousand have issues and light up the Net with their complaints.

IME many who buy a German car do not understand their need for preventative maintenance. They simply do not tolerate the typical person's ignorance of that requirement...

I used to see Holley water injection units in JC whitney catalogs.I have seen people on the web who built their own kits with an aquarium pump ,washer fluid jug,tubing and a basketball needle.Mounted the needle on the top of the air cleaner housing pointing down the throat of the carb.They reported mpg gains.I thought about making one myself.IIRC You cranked the car and after it reached operating temps you would turn on the injection system.I figured it would be good for a highway or interstate vehicle.You just had to remeber to turn the system off if you had it wired to a continuous power source.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
I used to see Holley water injection units in JC whitney catalogs.I have seen people on the web who built their own kits with an aquarium pump ,washer fluid jug,tubing and a basketball needle.Mounted the needle on the top of the air cleaner housing pointing down the throat of the carb.They reported mpg gains.I thought about making one myself.IIRC You cranked the car and after it reached operating temps you would turn on the injection system.I figured it would be good for a highway or interstate vehicle.You just had to remeber to turn the system off if you had it wired to a continuous power source.

I wonder if you could just use a knock sensor, and have it inject under knock conditions. IIRC the knock sensor is listening to 15kHz (?), and probably have to condition that, then feed to say an LM567 tone detector. Then again, probably need it once vacuum drops below a certain level, so a pressure switch would work better to trigger (probably still need disable switch for cranking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back