Changed tie rods. Now there are issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had noticed the right tie rod boot was shredded on my 2006 Toyota after hearing clunks when turning. Tie rods seemed to be what was needed, and after researching the difficulty, figured this was a task I could handle easily. Ordered new inner and outer tie rods for both sides from RockAuto. Beck/Arnley for all, which turned out to be re boxed Sakei 555. Got a hold of a tie Rod removal tool as well. Figured I was all set.

Well, easy it was not as my first problem was dealing with heavily rusted stuck parts. Ended up having to cut each inner tie Rod off, and so lost some degree of accuracy for the number of turns. Had to track down jam nuts as the replacement tie rods lacked them.

So all was finally done, and I did a test drive.

All low speed so far as I cut the test short. Straight ahead seems just fine. Sharp left or right and I hear what sounds like tires scrubbing. And very hard left or right, and the steering wheel wants to continue all the way left or right instead of returning to centre.

Is this just stuff that will go away after an alignment? Or did I likely mess up majorly without realizing? My first tie rod replacement ever, but I'm not a stranger to doing mechanical work.

Can I drive the vehicle safely until the alignment can get done?

The toe is probably way off, I wouldn't drive it until you get it aligned.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The toe is probably way off, I wouldn't drive it until you get it aligned.
+1

You can't drive that car until you get an alignment. Use a tape measure to get it close enough to straight to get it to the shop.

Also, counting the threads often doesn't work either. My brother and I replaced his tie rods on his Chevy truck with AC Delco tie rods, counted the threads perfectly and it still ended up being towed in by nearly 2 inches!

The toe is way off. Easiest way for a quick fix is to stand in front of the car and adjust the tie rods (with the steering wheel centered...use the seatbelt) until the tires point somewhat straight. The number of threads on each tie rod should be relatively similar as well. This should allow you to safely get to the alignment shop.

Last edited:
This is an idiot question but you greased the new ones if they needed it, right? New ones are a little tighter, but your steering should still center.

How to redneck align your toe:

Ive been able tp align toe better in my drive way than the moron techs with there out of cal Hunter Laz-R-Liner. Use to get GOOD alignment in the 70's and early eighties with old BEAR string units and guys who new how to use the aligner as a tool not as the final word.

You can whittle gizmos to get toe good at home. Its not rocket science, just get it to under half degree in per wheel. Go for min toe on cars without worn suspension and steering locating parts.

String the wheels out 10 feet and you'll see which way they are steered.

I just 2 days ago got an alignment on a new rack with a new hunter and wheel is 5 deg left and car wanders all over and squeals around turns, esp if you drive on painted centre-line around curve you can hear the squeal.

Thanks everyone. I called a shop that can take me in today, and arranged for a tow truck to bring it in. In fact, the truck should be at my house right about now grabbing it. I just never expected the alignment to be that far gone after the change, that I thought something else was wrong.

U called a Toe Truck
smile.gif

Doesn't seem to be a necessary expense.
Now you lost that DIY savings
frown.gif

I just eye ball toe at first to get it close, then pull out the tape measure to get it a bit closer, and have just driven it that way. Rubbing fender liners sounds like the wrong parts but maybe at an extreme adjustment?

Hopefully next time you change tie rods its an easier job for you! Remember count your threads as they come off. Do a at home alignment with string (pretty accurate too). Tip put cardboard under the tires so as you adjust toe your not fighting the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I always count the threads on the tie rods before removing them.

+2

Live and learn. I made the same mistake as described by weebl. Trying to find the center of the rack was too difficult, ended up paying a shop to do it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This is an idiot question but you greased the new ones if they needed it, right? New ones are a little tighter, but your steering should still center.

How to redneck align your toe:

These will get toe on the money, I have an old unit that connects 2 similar devices that you just drive over it. Its gets them on the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunson-Trakrite-...k-/400628370418

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back