Racing oil not recommanded for street use ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, more EP additives, which are over the concentration limit for street use and can poison sensors and cats. Great oil stock, but too much stuff in it for an electronically controlled engine.

Last edited:
Definitely catalytic converter wear. I think that's why royal purple refused to change their add pack for a while until they went SN.

Last edited:
In 1989 to 1991, I ran a racing oil fully syn, SF category, viscosity 10w60 I bought in a honda dealer promo. Completely Ignoring the oil art, I put it in my XLX350 shared sump wet cluth and ran it for about 11,000 miles (17.500kms), that I made a lot of off road enduros and sold the bike with the engine pretty strong, no noises, clean as a wistle at 22k miles. Maybe the esters part (that used to be) on the base of that oil (as used to be at least before 1993 - before GIII), compensated the lack of detergents to keep the deposits low in that manner.

Last edited:
So, the NASCAR logo stamped on every Mobil engine oil bottle is a misleading advertising. right ???
frown.gif

What car were you going to put this racing oil in?

The Goodyear slicks used in NASCAR probably wouldn't be a great choice for it, either....

Last edited:
Some racing oils have low detergent levels so that the antiwear package is more effective.

For example look at the redline racing oil.

ABOUT RED LINE MOTOR OIL FOR RACING
Racing oils provide more wear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, however, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use

They also contain large amounts of compounds that can poison catalytic converters etc.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Little or no detergents, it would need to be changed much more often. As always, UOA would tell the story on how long it would be safe to run it.

+1 Tue race oils have almost no detergents ... They compete with the AW additives which are needed with high spring pressures and RPM.

Originally Posted By: ST2008
But you will never find a NASCAR logo on any Goodyear tire for street use.

NASCAR, and other racing organization, logos are all over product displays.

That doesn't mean that you should use slicks on your street car, or nitromethane in your daily driver.

You asked the question, and you got the answer: some racing products are not recommended for street use.

Subject came up recently on Mobil 1 15w-50 having "Race Proven" on the bottle - and some folks jumped in they do race with that stuff ...

Is this a surprise? Some racing engines only run for seconds-NHRA. Some, for 500 miles. Some for 24 hours. Yours must run up to 10,000 miles in conditions ranging from -30F to +120F. Makes a lot of sense to me that these applications would require vastly different motor oils.

Use what your manufacturer recommends.

According to Motul USA the 300V product line has a full 12% (street) addpack. Still true? Don't know. Call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back