Long term protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently inherited an 02 F150 from my father. It's not a daily driver and sits outside. I'm looking for a product that will offer long term protection on the paint. I'm not that concerned about shine. I was leaning towards Nufinish, and started looking at Duragloss after the lengthy debate in the other thread. If I use Duragloss, what product would be best? If you recommend another product, I'd prefer that it's available in stores locally.

Nu Finish has worked well for me for the longterm. I did a Nu Finish treatment in October 2015 on the Fiesta & it still beads to this day. The beads aren't as "uniform" as they once were but it's almost a year later... I have applied a couple treatments of Turtle Wax Ice Spray wax after washes before & that's it.

I also Nu Finish'd the Taurus around the same time & it was still beading well when I decided to wax it again in March.

I am no expert on waxes & detailing but I have seen Nu Finish last, so I'd go for that. The bottle recommends you do a second application about a month after the first, I never did so I can only imagine how long it may last if you did!

Had a similar situation and opted for NuFinish. Sure either one (Duragloss) will do the job. Truck looks nice with NuFinish.

IMO, Get a garage/carport. There will be rust accumulating in places that you cannot see until it becomes a problem.

While NuFinish lasts a long time, the ease of use of Collinite 845 makes it the winner. No trim staining, comes off easier, one bottle will last your vehicles lifetime. Order from amazon, if no one stocks it locally.

I would be more concerned with protecting the frame if its still good, the paint will be there long after the frame breaks in half.

I like Nufinish, but I don't like all the white residue on the black trim it leaves behind. It makes putting it on tedious, and getting off the white residue is a pain. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax now, and it does not leave a mess on the trim. Costs over twice as much as Nufinish, but to me not having to remove all the white residue is worth the extra cost.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would be more concerned with protecting the frame if its still good, the paint will be there long after the frame breaks in half.

Sad but true, especially if the vehicle is in the rust belt.

I would have to say NuFinish. Good price and seems to last a long time. I put it on the Uplander once upon a time and it seemed to last about 6 or 7 months in the FL sun / rain.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Duragloss, Collinite, and Zaino will all outlast Nufinish...

Zaino certainly won't. I've never seen it last more then 4 months on an outside car and I've done a lot of vehicles with it. Duragloss and collinite are good long lasting waxes but do not outlast NuFinish...not in any measurable way(like splitting hairs)

Nufinish would serve you very well for long term protection.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Zaino certainly won't. I've never seen it last more then 4 months on an outside car and I've done a lot of vehicles with it. Duragloss and collinite are good long lasting waxes but do not outlast NuFinish...not in any measurable way(like splitting hairs)

I've had Zaino last over a year...

Then with those conditions your vehicles are seeing, NuFinish would last 2 years. No way Zaino lasts even close to a year. Don't take my word though....it is all over the forums that it is not know for its durability.

Then with those conditions your vehicles are seeing, NuFinish would last 2 years. No way Zaino lasts even close to a year. Don't take my word though....it is all over the forums that it is not know for its durability.

I thought we buried the hatchet?

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have my cars oil sprayed every year also.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I like Nufinish, but I don't like all the white residue on the black trim it leaves behind. It makes putting it on tedious, and getting off the white residue is a pain. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax now, and it does not leave a mess on the trim. Costs over twice as much as Nufinish, but to me not having to remove all the white residue is worth the extra cost.

The truck has a lot of black trim. That's why I'm debating Duragloss. The Mequiar's is a great product, but it doesn't offer the protection I'm looking for.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Throt
Collinite No. 476S, best on the market.

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/super-doublecoat-paste-wax/

At 2-3 times the cost of Nufinish and Duragloss, is Collinite that much better? I'm just looking for long term protection. Shine isn't that much of a concern.

If cost is a factor, and you don't mind the looks and the trim staining, then go with the Nufinish. It will last quite a while. If you don't mind paying a bit more and you want a better looking finish and no trim staining, then I'd say go with the Duragloss or Collinite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back