Battery dead on new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I bought a new battery at AAP. Thanks, Blu but too late.
frown.gif

She fires right up with the new battery.

Didn't know there is an engine shut off if the hood is open. Started it with the hood up and it started and immediately shut down.
Wow, there goes a bunch of diagnostic abilities later on down the road. I'd find a way to tape the switch closed.

Originally Posted By: Rand
are you sure you didnt leave a dome light on?

It is pretty easy to leave a map light or hatch light on in my subaru.. and its not controlled by the auto power off.. like a door ajar would be.

Also there are no bumper to bumper warranties anymore.

There are "manufacturer limited warranties"

For example hyundai gives 2 years on radio and battery.
"america's best warranty my arse"

Incorrect - Hyundai is 3 years on audio system. Battery is 3 years - 2 years full replacement, 3rd year prorated thru 2015 model year. 2016, 2017 are 5 years on audio, 3 years full replacement on battery.

Last edited:

Didn't know there is an engine shut off if the hood is open. Started it with the hood up and it started and immediately shut down.

Do what? That's not cool. I guess the dealer scan tool can override, but that's an awful, senseless "feature."

GM will cover batteries under 3/36 bumper to bumper (no prorate, straight up replacement), but I am sure it varies by manufacturer. AC Delco actually did away with prorating on batteries, at least the ones we get. It's free replacement for whatever term applies to your grade of battery.

Originally Posted By: dcf
I remember when Toyota used Panasonic batteries in the 90s. They lasted 10-12 years no problem .

At that time most cars were import from Japan, now most cars are made in North America (Canada + US + Mexico).

My S2000 made in Japan with Panasonic battery, without heat shield that battery lasted 6.5 yeas. I fabricate a head shield for it and hope the new battery would last a little longer than 4-5 years.

It is pretty easy to leave a map light or hatch light on in my subaru.. and its not controlled by the auto power off.. like a door ajar would be.

"America's best warranty my arse"

Many drivers believe their marketing slogan !

Originally Posted By: Kira

I'm a firm believer in dealership monkeys swapping a good battery (from a car in the lot) for a marginal one (in one of their own cars).

Doesn't happen here, I can tell you that. But I might start doing that with the old clunkers that'll get sent to the crusher.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

"America's best warranty my arse"

Many drivers believe their marketing slogan !

Thanks for refuting their claim by providing no examples of a better one... lol

I'd rather have a dead battery @ 75K than a dead AT; just poking fun.

Last edited:
I was told by a Mazda dealer that a lot of Mazda cars arrive in the US with dead batteries. Because of long boat ride. The dealer charges the battery and sells the car. But a battery that was fully discharged was damaged. Buyer never knows.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I bought a new battery at AAP. Thanks, Blu but too late.
frown.gif

She fires right up with the new battery.

Wow, there goes a bunch of diagnostic abilities later on down the road. I'd find a way to tape the switch closed.

Does the car have (factory) remote start? They bring extra shenanigans in.

I bet if one reads the owner's manual there's already an override, and the engineers made it as moronic as possible so you can hate them for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back