BMW 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Yeah i don't fancy the idea of driving with my foot on the floor on a hot summer day with 0w20 in the sump!

You actually drive like that!!!
crazy2.gif

Exactly.
Anyone who buys the 4 cyl Bimmer isn't overly concerned about performance otherwise they'd choose one of the more powerful 6 cyl engines.

But those 4 poppers make some crazy torque at low RPM. Rod loading like that with 0W-20? No thanks. If the manufacturer allows and even recommends a heavier oil, I will use it..

The best way to avoid the low rpm high torque issue is to drive in sport mode. It allows the motor to spin up. The comfort and economy modes lean hard on that torque. For long trips I will use comfort mapping on the long cruising portions and I use sport mode in the city and mountain roads.

I never feel good about lugging any engine. Though the n20 is capable of running pretty smartly off of low RPM torque and getting respectable 35+ mpg on the highway.

I actually have a B46 (2016 Mini Cooper S) so that is why this interests me. I'm currently using only Castrol 0w-40 in the car and don't really have any plans to change from that, I know the engine runs hot as it's the only car I've ever changed the oil on where the oil will literally burn your skin if any decent amount gets on you during an oil change and I've changed A LOT of different cars/trucks oils over the years, super hot even with gloves on.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

re what happens at lower RPM, and Minimum Oil Film Thicknesses...

moft%20viscosity.jpg

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to install thinner oil, then instal nannies to protect the engine from it if your goal is "improved" protection.

Nice chart.

Less power at a given rpm, which effectively is what nannies do, will increase MOFT.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Too bad F30 drives like Sonata!

Not if it has the M sport suspension.

Steering is still Sonata!
Only new BMW that drives good is 2 series.
Before you would buy base BMW and you would be faster then rest of the crowd through corners.
I had 328i as loaner once and not sure it provides more confidence through curves then my wife's Tiguan. Yes, you can order DHP, M etc, etc, but bottom line is BMW with F series cars wanted to make everything, BMW, MB, Lexus and Audi in one car, and they got good Hyundai.

That was not my experience at all based on a 340i with M sport pkg that I recently drove. In fact, I thought it handled better than Jag XE that everyone sems to be raving about when it comes to handling.

That was not my experience at all based on a 340i with M sport pkg that I recently drove. In fact, I thought it handled better than Jag XE that everyone sems to be raving about when it comes to handling.

Hopefully then they trickled down M235/M2 steering. I drove 320i, 328i and 335i and steering was horrid. I drove M235 and it is completely different (much, much better). I did not drive M2, but Jeremy Clarkson said there is no difference in responsiveness and communication with road with el. steering in it and hydro before. So hopefully they put new steering with new B58 engine.
How is new engine?

The 340i engine felt great. Very responsive and nice sounding, but part of it was the optional M exhaust that they installed on this particular demo car.

On the other hand, I hated the sound of the 3.0 supercharged engine in the XE. It sounded so metallic, it was like fingernails on chalkboard. Did not like it at all. Steering feel was OK, but it felt less communicative than the BMW.

Ditto; I drove one with the Track Handling Pack which gets you the Adaptive M Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, M Sport brakes and non-RFT Michelin PSS tires. I was very impressed. But I still prefer my 2er...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Ditto; I drove one with the Track Handling Pack which gets you the Adaptive M Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, M Sport brakes and non-RFT Michelin PSS tires. I was very impressed. But I still prefer my 2er...

And all that few years back would get without buying track package, DHP, M suspension, variable steering etc, etc, etc.
When you make really good base model, it is very easy to make great M model. That is why F30 based M is not on par E90 based M nor it will ever be. Same with F10 M. It will never be E60 based M (though F10 M has hydro steering, but it is just too heavy).
7 years ago you could buy 328i base model and be fastest in the Rockies. Today? No way with base 328i.

The 340i engine felt great. Very responsive and nice sounding, but part of it was the optional M exhaust that they installed on this particular demo car.

On the other hand, I hated the sound of the 3.0 supercharged engine in the XE. It sounded so metallic, it was like fingernails on chalkboard. Did not like it at all. Steering feel was OK, but it felt less communicative than the BMW.

Well V6 cannot sound like Inline6 regardless what they do with exhaust. Also, I think BMW is running lower pressure so it will actually make some induction noise.
Unfortunately, I think we are done with naturally aspirated inline 6 engines. I am still considering to get 128i and keep it forever, with stick shift of course.

I have had the 328I "Modern" line for 51 months and have only 17,770 miles on it. Being the third car is advantageous.
The role of the car is not to go to the track or impress others with its looks or potential speed. It's simply my economy trip car when an f150 or FJ cruiser are not needed or practical for the trip. The fact that it is well appointed and has heated leather seats makes me more comfortable when driving home from a meet( powerlifting hobby, I drive sore)

I see performance cars as cars that you cannot drive on the road. They are stripped and light and a hobby and expense amongst themselves.
The cost of performance and street legal safety together cause the price to go up too fast for the return on performance. Weight is the enemy. Street legal vehicles are heavy with airbags, technology and extra seats.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I have had the 328I "Modern" line for 51 months and have only 17,770 miles on it. Being the third car is advantageous.
The role of the car is not to go to the track or impress others with its looks or potential speed. It's simply my economy trip car when an f150 or FJ cruiser are not needed or practical for the trip. The fact that it is well appointed and has heated leather seats makes me more comfortable when driving home from a meet( powerlifting hobby, I drive sore)

I see performance cars as cars that you cannot drive on the road. They are stripped and light and a hobby and expense amongst themselves.
The cost of performance and street legal safety together cause the price to go up too fast for the return on performance. Weight is the enemy. Street legal vehicles are heavy with airbags, technology and extra seats.

Well, you fit obviously targeted audience of today's BMW.
However, BMW was always king of auto bahn and Bavarian curves, not car company that wants to steal Lexus buyers.
When I was buying X5, guy at dealership said: you won't believe how many Lexus customers came to us since we introduced new F15 X5.
I tol him that I have two questions:
1. You really think that is good thing? (there is a reason why BMW enthusiasts would never, and I mean never buy Lexus).
2. What will happen when they figure out that X5 35i is not reliable like RX350? BMW owners were and still do tolerate lower reliability compare to Lexus in change for driving dynamics etc.
He could not answer to any of those questions.
How is it going? Lots are full of X5's (and E70 i have was flying off the shelfs when it was current model) and BMW is not anymore No. 1 luxury company in the U.S. Fact that BMW is not going to have LCI for F15, and that they scrambled to update F30 soon after introduction and that new 3 series will be smaller tells me that some people who worked on F series BMW's got fired.

Last edited:
People are flocking from Lexus because their cars look downright ridiculous nowadays.

In the present market, a BMW is still the most "drivers oriented" car you can buy, period.

Times change, and BMW has as well. If you want an old BMW, buy an old BMW.

People are flocking from Lexus because their cars look downright ridiculous nowadays.

In the present market, a BMW is still the most "drivers oriented" car you can buy, period.

I would say BMW realized what they did with F30, F15 and F10. New models show radical departure from that philosophy. They even returned mechanical water pump to new engines, and brought back aluminum to suspension parts. Also, again, no LCI for F15 is the most telling thing how well this new approach worked.
BMW 2 series is best indication, that they re going back to target traditional BMW buyers.
As for Lexus, always been and always will be redesigned Toyota Camry.

I would say BMW realized what they did with F30, F15 and F10. New models show radical departure from that philosophy. They even returned mechanical water pump to new engines, and brought back aluminum to suspension parts. Also, again, no LCI for F15 is the most telling thing how well this new approach worked.
BMW 2 series is best indication, that they re going back to target traditional BMW buyers.

Lexus was the best selling luxury brand in America for many years.

Originally Posted By: supplychaindigital.com
Just ask Lexus, as the luxury carmaker is about to lose its grip in the United States as the top luxury automaker. Lexus, part of Toyota Motor Corp, expects to lose its leading market share to German competitors BMW and Mercedes-Benz."

http://www.supplychaindigital.com/procurement/2021/Lexus-losing-ground-in-US

The year of the linked above was 2011.

Originally Posted By: statista.com
U.S. luxury car market share in 2015, by brand. Mercedes-Benz 17.7%, Lexus 16.4%

http://www.statista.com/statistics/28762...e-market-share/

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Lexus was the best selling luxury brand in America for many years.

Originally Posted By: supplychaindigital.com
Just ask Lexus, as the luxury carmaker is about to lose its grip in the United States as the top luxury automaker. Lexus, part of Toyota Motor Corp, expects to lose its leading market share to German competitors BMW and Mercedes-Benz."

http://www.supplychaindigital.com/procurement/2021/Lexus-losing-ground-in-US

The year of the linked above was 2011.

Originally Posted By: statista.com
U.S. luxury car market share in 2015, by brand. Mercedes-Benz 17.7%, Lexus 16.4%

http://www.statista.com/statistics/28762...e-market-share/

That was not my point. Just because they were best selling does not make them any more interesting to drive then my fridge in the house.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Well, you fit obviously targeted audience of today's BMW.
However, BMW was always king of auto bahn and Bavarian curves, not car company that wants to steal Lexus buyers.
When I was buying X5, guy at dealership said: you won't believe how many Lexus customers came to us since we introduced new F15 X5.
I tol him that I have two questions:
1. You really think that is good thing? (there is a reason why BMW enthusiasts would never, and I mean never buy Lexus).
2. What will happen when they figure out that X5 35i is not reliable like RX350? BMW owners were and still do tolerate lower reliability compare to Lexus in change for driving dynamics etc.
He could not answer to any of those questions.
How is it going? Lots are full of X5's (and E70 i have was flying off the shelfs when it was current model) and BMW is not anymore No. 1 luxury company in the U.S. Fact that BMW is not going to have LCI for F15, and that they scrambled to update F30 soon after introduction and that new 3 series will be smaller tells me that some people who worked on F series BMW's got fired.

It definitely works for me. But I also like the Lexus IS Series with the I6.
TBH I also had a bangled 2005 z4 in the past. it was nice as well but the soft top was annoying. BMW made a marketing mistake with the F30 only that it is caniblilizing the 5 series sales. But I don't follow closely. I own the car it's out of warranty and I don't care what becomes of BMW, If I want a new car and they have the right one at the right time, they win. If not Its Lexus, Toyota, Probably should look at a land cruiser. Before they are gone thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back