Cleaning a carpet stain....Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

I was transporting a gas can last Friday in the back of my Tahoe, and some spilled. When I got home I did a quick Google search, and found several threads indicating to spread coffee grounds on it (and being assured it doesn't stain).

Well, it left a sizable stain. I went to the local DIY car wash, and used their soap/stain removal machine which did not help.

Any ideas on what I should try? Someone had mentioned a mix of dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and water; but I am unsure of mix ratio.

Thanks for any help I get...

How much gas did you spill ? ? ?
Can you remove the Carpet to expose any padding underneath ? ? ?
Let it all air out and see what you have to deal with.

Dawn Dish Soap is great for cleaning greasy hands.

I'd mix:
* Dawn Dish Soap
* Water
And scrub a small area with a Stiff Bristle Brush.

Transporting Gasoline.
I have a 2 1/2 gallon Gas Can.
When transporting, I place it in a Plastic Milk Crate (Bought @ Home Depot).
The Crate may slid around, but Gas Can will NOT tip over.

Last edited:
The gas smell will dissipate eventually. For the coffee stain I would try plain water, a microfiber rag, and a good amount of elbow grease. For future smell issues try baking soda, or a commercial powdered carpet deodorizing product (i.e Carpet Fresh). Those are mostly scented baking soda.

Gasoline evaporates darn near completely. I wonder if it discolored the carpet. If so there's little to do except luck out with a matching fabric color product.

I say luck out because I do believe auto carpet is nylon/plastic/poly and won't take coloration like a "naturally fibered" fabric can.

The gas smell is long gone, now it smells like coffee grounds. I added some baking soda last night.

Thus, I am dealing with the coffee ground stain, not the odor.

I intend on vacuuming up the remnants this afternoon. Just looking for the best solution to the stain -- as the car wash's carpet cleaning station did nothing.

++++++++++
Since I have brake cleaner here right now, is that safe on carpeting?

Ive had good luck taking the carpet out laying it on the ground and scrubbing it with a a broom and sprinkles of oxyclean. (sodium percarbonate)

Get it all foamed up and let it sit for a while and repeat a couple of times.

IF you can't remove it try a soft brush

I also just mixed up a spray bottle of Dawn and White Vinegar for later today.

So, I currently have 2 options for this evening - brake cleaner or the mix mentioned above.

I have a microfiber towel and several bristle brushes to work with....

I have used Blue Coral upholstery and carpet cleaner successfully before. Blue Coral and Here And I have also taken the carpet out of a few cars I bought used and sprayed them with a power washer then hung it to dry in front of a fan in the garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Gasoline left a stain???

No, the coffee grounds used to try to mitigate the smell of the gasoline did.

Originally Posted By: smoothxman
Try spray brake cleaner and a shop vac

And stand back...because that volatile set of hydrocarbons going through the shop vac motor can cause one heck of an explosion!

The portion of the coffee that was dissolved by the gasoline was soluble in a non-polar solvent, like gasoline, or naphtha, or acetone. All of which might damage the carpet.

I would try turpentine first. Less likely to damage the carpet, does a good job is dissolving stains created by polar solvents, greasy stains, etc.

Follow up the turpentine with regular upholstery cleaner. That should mitigate the smell.

Last edited:
Dawn and vinegar didn't work. Going to test brake cleaner on an old floor mat, to see what it does to carpet. Otherwise, I just researched Folex. Gets excellent reviews on virtually all stains. Might have to go to Lowes this week. Otherwise, hydrogen peroxide and Dawn is something I've heard of.

Replace the carpet. There a to many products currently on the carpet to cure this stain.
As former owner of a carpet cleaning company....some stains are impossible to remove.

Hydrogen Peroxide, Dawn and water appear to be doing a nice job. Letting it dry out with a fan on it... but looks promising!

I did test the Brake Cleaner on an old floor mat, and it doesn't affect the coloration at all (might be an option should this need some additional work).

Going to do a 2nd run of the Peroxide in an hour, and re-assess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back